general time frame for smash repairers?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: general time frame for smash repairers?  (Read 5947 times)

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
  • Name: Anthony
general time frame for smash repairers?
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:01:58 pm »
spoken to smashy today and he told me it'd take 6 - 8 months to do a repaint on my 66. I don't know much about paint and panels but that sounds a bit far fetched to me, I'd have thought 3 to 4 weeks would be a reasonable time frame. I know it all depends on the condition of the body and how busy they are, but really 6 - 8 months?  Just like to get people's responses in regard to this am I unrealistic or not?
Anfo - Starting to enjoy driving her!
"Do what you want to do, be what you wanna be..."
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
Re: general time frame for smash repairers?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:29 pm »
Sounds like a long time. Im visiting my local panel shop this wed. I'll run it by guys there and see what they say.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:59 pm »
Anfo99,

Your avatar suggests you live in Young, is this where the shop is located?

Shops tend to push the insurance work out as a priority, so resprays and project jobs get done in between the insurance work, especially in country towns, as it keeps the cash flow coming through.

I checked with a local shop in Goulburn a few months back on a full respray, said they couldnt do it, as it would take the tradies off the smash work for too long, a few others I checked in the same area, said 6 - 12 month wait, just to get it in, and was conditional on smash repairs took priority.

City based shops, will usually turn it around in 4 - 12 weeks assuming no major rust repairs, but that depends on if its stripped or if they have to strip the car down and put it back togethor, do you want engine bay and underneath done etc.

It would be quicker to bring the car to Sydney and get it done.

Also for reference I was quoted from $6k to $25k, just for paint, no repairs from shops in Sydney.

Offline anfo99

• Worked
  • MOCA Nova Member
  • Name: Anthony
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »
thanks for the replies guys yes this was one of the three smashies in town the first guy i went to is snowed under with insurance work, so i went to the other guy to see if he was any better off it seems he is worse off.

Anthony
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:56:53 pm by anfo99 »
Anfo - Starting to enjoy driving her!
"Do what you want to do, be what you wanna be..."
Masters Apprentices
6R07C

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »
spoken to smashy today and he told me it'd take 6 - 8 months to do a repaint on my 66. I don't know much about paint and panels but that sounds a bit far fetched to me, I'd have thought 3 to 4 weeks would be a reasonable time frame. I know it all depends on the condition of the body and how busy they are, but really 6 - 8 months?  Just like to get people's responses in regard to this am I unrealistic or not?
Paint a car in 3 to 4 weeks. Fillers need time to cure otherwise you will see shrinking through the paint job. Six to eight  months is reasonable for a full paint job. Of corse they will not be working on your car five days a week in that timeframe. Then again I would never have my car painted by someone who specializes in insurance work either. Good luck.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »
It took 8.5 months for a bare metal respray for my '68 coupe. All of the above reasons were put forward by my painter before he started, so I guess your painter is being up front. I did insist on regular visiting rights though.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:02 pm »

That's more then reasonable, in fact pretty good, Typical cost would run to about 12-15k if the car is pretty sound, ie no major rust or damage. I've known some rough cars to cost mid 30k-40k to repair and paint. In real terms anything less than 20k for an average car fixed correctly is good money. If any one quotes you less then 12k for your car take it elsewhere. In real terms you are better just to pay an hourly rate, often works out cheaper. Quick paint jobs only happen on Overhaulin.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:32:30 pm by shaunp »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:16 pm »
I did insist on regular visiting rights though.

Yep and take photos of what's been done each week, you only have their word for it when it comes to hours spent.

Also you have to hope they don't go bust, I recall one shop getting liquidated and a Torana going missing, apparently it was moved to 'out front' and 'disappeared'.

s

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:57:13 pm »
Spoke to my local panel shop and they suggested 6 to 12 months. Long time to wait but looks to be usual timeframe.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:05:26 pm »
That's more then reasonable, in fact pretty good, Typical cost would run to about 12-15k if the car is pretty sound, ie no major rust or damage. I've known some rough cars to cost mid 30k-40k to repair and paint. In real terms anything less than 20k for an average car fixed correctly is good money. If any one quotes you less then 12k for your car take it elsewhere. In real terms you are better just to pay an hourly rate, often works out cheaper. Quick paint jobs only happen on Overhaulin.

I'd agree with Shaun on this.
It all depends on what sort of a job you want.Cost and time are dependant on that.
I've just had mine done. Full rotisserie. It took 18 months and cost way over 20k. I paid an hourly rate so got exactly what I paid for. There was just under 1000 hours in mine.

So it's basically ... how long's a piece of string.
Remember though. You only get what you pay for, if you're lucky.
 1966 GT Coupe. AFR 185 heads, Hyd Roller cam.  1/4 mile 11.21 sec @123mph

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

I've just had mine done. Full rotisserie. It took 18 months and cost way over 20k. I paid an hourly rate so got exactly what I paid for. There was just under 1000 hours in mine.

1000 hours  !! Really !?!?! that's one guy working 7.5 hours a day for 6 months straight. That can't be right surely. And that would mean their hourly rate was only $20-25 /per hour 
assuming the $20k+  included the materials.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »
Close to 1000 hours all up. That's with my 250 hours. The panelman/painter has spent 750 hours on it as I've kept a tally of the dollars and hours. I stripped the car to a shell and supplied all paint supplies.
The cost is WAY over 20k just for the labour only.
This is a full body resto though. Firewall remodelled, power booster fitted,complete underbody done including installing torque boxes,frame connectors, dash beated and instrument cluster and glovebox areas fitted to both,cowl vent collars removed and repaired. Floor repair section.
Door skins fitted, door frames repaired, original bumper bar beated and metal finished for re chroming. The whole boot area bare metalled finished.
Panel gaps and alignments.......days and days and days.
It goes on and on and on.... like I say the price and time just depends on what you want to do and the finished product.

Everyone has different expectations and standards so it's hard to say what's right for one is right for another.
How anyone could do a decent paintjob in 3-4 weeks is beyond me.
I'm happy to learn if there is an easier, cheaper way :-)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
Guys this is the money, $20k for a paint job on an average car up to 40k for a rough one. As of Tuesday next week I'm back doing this full time for myself. If you want stuff done correctly this is the base price really for a bare metal, rust welded, dents hammered up not just wiped etc,  alot of work and quality materials are not cheap. Most of these old cars are toast, good dry Cali cars are getting thin on the ground.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 08:46:54 pm »
Guys this is the money, $20k for a paint job on an average car up to 40k for a rough one. As of Tuesday next week I'm back doing this full time for myself. If you want stuff done correctly this is the base price really for a bare metal, rust welded, dents hammered up not just wiped etc,  alot of work and quality materials are not cheap. Most of these old cars are toast, good dry Cali cars are getting thin on the ground.

Without patronising you Shaun, you're right on the money again.
These are 50 year old cars and were made to last 5-10 years tops and buy another one.
They have RUST issues. It's not a matter of just making it look shiny on the outside.
Do it properly,do it once. Or make it like a mudguard, shiny on top and sh1t underneath. Then sell it to some other poor soul when it's beyond repair.
There are lots of mustangs around but I wonder how many will be here in 20 years time ?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
At least mustang parts can be had new for a fair price, old Monaros, falcons and Toranas cost more because you can't get the bits and or the repro stuff is supa expensive, like $700 for a front gaurd etc

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »
Close to 1000 hours all up. That's with my 250 hours. The panelman/painter has spent 750 hours on it ...
This is a full body resto though.

Ok, that makes more sense - we are not talking 1000 hours to prep and paint.

All good.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 08:42:41 am »
At least mustang parts can be had new for a fair price, old Monaros, falcons and Toranas cost more because you can't get the bits and or the repro stuff is supa expensive, like $700 for a front gaurd etc

They also made a lot less of them and I guess that's one reason companies are reluctant to make repro parts, the market is small.

s