Battery issue ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Battery issue ?  (Read 10257 times)

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
Re: Battery issue ?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 09:09:07 am »
I had alternator issues as well - driving at night (luckily in town) dashlights and headlights got dimmer then car wouldn't re-start - it had drained the battery.  Auto electrician just shook his head when I asked if he could rebuild the original alternator.  Replaced it with a new Bosch unit with inbuilt regulator and higher amps.  Should be a lot easier for future repairs and more reliable than the external regulator which I took off and an auto elect I know just bypassed it.  I let him join up the right 2 wires so I didn't st#ff something up.

With the radio settings problem, I have a kill switch that kills all power except the radio - just have a (fused) wire from the battery to power the stereo.  Saves re-setting each time.

Cheers
Ken

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 07:35:32 pm »
evan I think you are correct. There is a small box to the left of the radiator. When I follow the wire from the regulator it goes across the back of the radiator and connects to the back of the alternator. I notice that many have gone for the inbuilt regulator unit. I expect I will go that way too one day. For the moment would be over the moon if it was easy as replacing the regulator. Looks straight forward. Just have to find one now or order online. I guess I need to find out how to test the current regulator too. Red67Coupe thanks for the suggestion regarding the radio. Learning heaps from the experience even if sometimes frustrating.

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »
Okay, so i fixed the battery apron, changed the regulator and decided to test the alternator. Multimeter read 12.83 with engine off. All looked good. So i decide to start car and once again cranking issues. I check the engine bay and notice all the engine oil is on the driveway. I must not have installed the oil filter properly as it looks like that is were the oil came from. What a nightmare. :cry:

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »
Just a quick update, oil issue fixed ( seal of old filter did not come off when i removed it). Battery appears to be okay( no leak). Still appears to be an issue with voltage as multimeter only reads 12.63 when car running. Also rough idle and lots of liquid with black gunk from exhaust. Taking to mechanic on wednesday as too much for me to deal with. Also tried cleaning carby but engine cuts out.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 05:14:01 pm »
Just a quick update, oil issue fixed ( seal of old filter did not come off when i removed it).

This happened to me once. Taught me to check every time from then on. What a pain!   :ouch:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
Ash,dEffinately frustrating but glad was an easy fix. Ever come across the issue of the engine cutting out when adding carby cleaner to the carby? What does that mean?

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 05:52:16 pm »
Do you mean standing there and spraying carby cleaner down its throat while it is running? If so, maybe you are over fuelling it?

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:08 pm »
Yes and excuse my ignorance but overfueling??

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
As in flooding it. It might not be able to handle the fuel from the carb and the sudden shot of carb cleaner causing it to die.

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »
Okay, thanks Ash. Some clips show guys with a can doing the same thing and did not expect it would stall the engine.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »
Read back a bit and to me it sounds like it is already over fuelling. But it's hard to know over the internet and there sure are plenty of others on here that know more than I do.