My 65 Coupe - Restomod

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 65 Coupe - Restomod  (Read 3570 times)

Offline 302CUI

• L Plates
  • Name: Chris
My 65 Coupe - Restomod
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:46:57 pm »
Hi All,

New to these parts and new to the world of classic car ownership.

Just realised a childhood dream of owning a Mustang and whilst it's not the Fastback of my dreams, Leila, my 65 Coupe is the other woman in my life.

She was brought to Australia in October last year by a bloke in Newcastle as a numbers matching Black on Black example. Previous owner (Leila - hence the name) was an old girl in San Diego who literally only drove it on Sundays. The paperwork for the car came to Aus in folders from the Nursing home where she now resides.

Once in Aus, she was stripped back to bare metal and brought into the 21st Century with a reconditioned 302 Windsor and a T5 tranny being the main additions on the mechanical side of things. Interior is immaculate, as is her body. No rust or bog needed in her restoration and finished in a brilliant Viper Red with the '67 Style GT stripes.

Just spent $3.5k on her getting her Qld Transport compliant - seatbelts, roadworthy, etc - plus a few minor niggles that she had and she's come up a charm.

Only had her for four weeks now but already looking forward to joining up and going to a few meets.

I by no means consider myself to be an expert on Mustang's or mechanics in general, but hoping to pick up whatever I can by osmosis :)

In the meantime, here's a few pics of my girl from when I picked her up in NSW.

-- 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (Restomod) --
The basics: Aftermarket 302 Windsor w/ Alloy Heads, Thumpr Cam, Roller Rockers w/ Stud Girdle fed by a Holley 600 Carby; Tri-Y headers into 2.25" Exhaust; Aftermarket T5 Tranny; 3" lower than stock; Body was taken back to bare metal (no rust) and finished in Viper Red with the white '67 model GT stripes and scoop.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Re: My 65 Coupe - Restomod
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »
Nice pony there. Welcome to this forum, plenty of info here if you need it.  :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »
looks great, congrats and welcome to the family ! :cheers:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:58 pm »
Welcome! Gorgeous car and a stunning colour...My '68 is also Viper red.
Cheers, Ron B