cleaning gear question

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: cleaning gear question  (Read 19298 times)

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
Cleaning tyres question
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to get your BF Goodrich (or any white lettered) sidewall tyres sparkling.  I heard you can use bleach like White King first to remove any fading or yellowing and then use a tyre shine product.  Is this right and if so, what is a recommended tyre shine product to bring up that shine ?

Also, I heard about using a good microfiber cloth for the painted surfaces.  Someone suggested a clean Jumbo Chux can be substituted.  Again, is this right ?  Appreciate your thoughts on these points.

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Re: cleaning gear question
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:19 pm »
Have not used bleach to clean tyres. Here is how i do it -

Buy a sheet of 600grit wet or dry. Cut it into quarters. Fill a bucket with warm water and add a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Put a couple of pieces of the wet rub into the bucket for about 15 minutes to make it soft. Wet the area to be rubbed and go over the lettering with the wet rub making sure to keep using water as the lube. The white lettering will become very white again very quickly. Rinse the tyre and let it dry.

For a good tyre dressing go to Autobarn and buy some Aerospace 303 Protectant. Spray or wipe around the tyre, leave for a minute or so then buff with a microfibre. This will give your tyres a nice matt sheen. :thumb:

To wash the car use a Wool or chenille wash mitt and for a shampoo use chemguys citrus wash and gloss. Dry off with microfibres or a Aion Chamois.

Rocket.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:18:48 pm by rocket »
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:59 pm »
Rocket, can you recommend a product for removing light scratches(not swirls) please?

mickemck, sorry mate i missed your post.

I have read good reports about using Autoglym Super Resin Polish to remove scratches.

Link-  http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=222546

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
Thanks Rocket,
Having read your other posts here, you have helped keep several ponies very presentable indeed.
Just on using a Jumbo Chux, can that be used as a substitute for cleaning/drying paint work ?

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 09:43:42 pm »
robster, I have used chux wipes in the past when i have not had a wash mitt handy to wash the car, but i cannot see them working to dry the car. Can i suggest you invest in some microfibre cloths. :thumb:

Rocket.

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 08:34:20 am »
I usr solvol soap on the whit lettering, comes up a treat.

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 09:12:35 am »
Thanks Rocket, Fast69Back,
I’m not keen to use mild sandpaper or Solvol as they have mild abrasives and in effect are scouring away the white tyre dye.  That’s why a friend said to use a bleach like White King as it’s less abrasive in the end.  If no one else can verify the benefits of bleach, then I am ok in using your methods.  Abit of trial and error I think.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 09:22:47 am »
Ok then, it just so happens that the 68 coupe which has whitewall tyres is currently at work and the whitewalls are looking a bit shabby.

On Monday i will use bleach on one tyre, 600 grit wet rub on another, and solvol on another. Must admit i really like the idea of using solvol soap - Thanks Fast69Back.

Does anybody else have a method they use different to the above? If so please post as there is still another tyre to try your method on.

Look for photos on Monday night.

Rocket.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 10:08:53 am »
Go Rocket, Our Rub and Tub Expert!..... :grin: :grin:

be interesting to see what comes up best

Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
I have used 600 wet and dry ,makes the white lettering like new . Have used jiff also just on the lettering . Remember the white lettering is thick so you can not wear through it ,the whole sidewall is white under the black as far as i remember .

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 12:15:31 pm »
Robster, As GLENN 7O said the white lettering is white rubber and it runs all the way around the tyre
IT is not dye and you wont wear it out.
I have been using Solvol on white lettered tyres for many years and never had a problem.
What I have found is if you use tyre shine and you wipe over the white lettering with the rag with tyre shine on it, it will discolour the white lettering a little.
If you're worried just try using Solvol once on one tyre and I think you will be happy.
There is probably quite a few different methods, this just the one I use and like.
Cheers Vic.

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 01:11:51 pm »
omikron make an all purpose cleaner, OC-120 (looks like listerine) that we use on everything interior and exterior, brings up white letter/white walls quickly and super white.  its brilliant on chrome just spray on rinse off and greasy stuff too. i bought it in a 200lt container. our omikron rep reckons its one of their best sellers and i can see why.
i used to use solvol years ago but this stuff is so damn quick to use, dont need to rinse soap stuff off. quick jobs a good job for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:16:50 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
Didn't have any Solvol but had some Orange Scrub Industrial Strength Hand Cleaner, so took the tip and gave it a try. Came up great, nice and white - a big improvement. Thanks for the tip.  :thumb:

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »
Thanks Griff,

I like the idea of OC-120 all-purpose cleaner, seems mild, fuss free and quick.  Rocket, looks like we have another contender for your 68’s spare whitewall

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:03 pm »
Here is a pic of the raised white letters on my tyre after cleaning them with the Orange Scrub (would be similar to Solvol). Didn't abrade the rubber at all - just cleaned it up.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:53:08 pm by 68Coupe »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Re: cleaning gear question - Don`t forget the Solvol Geoffrey
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
68 Coupe, You did an excellent job with the Orange Scrub. That lettering came up a treat :thumb:

Conducted my own little test on the Whitewall tyres today. Started with the Solvol. Here is the wheel before starting -

It was not in really bad condition beforehand. Just a bit of yellowing toward the top RHS and some greasy film on the lower left. The Solvol made light work of it. I had left the Solvol in a bucket for about 15 minutes, but that was probably not necessary because the softened cake of soap left some soap scum behind. Easily cleaned off though and thrilledwith the result -

Next wheel i used my own method of 600 grit wet rub. Easy to do and only took about 5 minutes, with quick and easy cleanup afterwards -

Here are a couple of side on photos, can you tell the difference? -

I called over 3 factory workers and sought their opinion on which whitewall was the whitest. They all said the rear - which was the one i had used the Solvol on.

On the other side rear i used Prepsol which is a wax and grease remover used in the paint shop. Tried the Prepsol at the suggestion of Blutey ( our panel man ). -

Here is the wheel before the Prepsol -

After using Prepsol - Did the job OK

Time to try the White King ( Bleach ) on the last wheel. Called on my wife who is a clean freak and uses White King on every bloody thing. She suggested i wear gloves, dilute it 50/50 with water and try to avoid splashing it on my clothes or the paintwork. Hmm.. ok - not liking the idea of this. The car has showcar quality paint and i do not want to damage it. But... here goes -

Now photobucket is playing up. More in next post.

Please do not reply to this post yet.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »
White King -

Before -

Using a sponge/scourer to apply -

Working it -

End Result - Excellent -

So the White King was the best! BUT - The thought of splashing it on the paint made me very nervous which means i will not use that method again. I am also a bit worried that it might not be good for the rubber tyre itself. For my money the Solvol gave a very good result and will now be my preferred method of cleaning whitewalls or raised lettering on tyres.

The Omikron All Purpose Cleaner is also probably very good as mentioned by Griff, but i do not have access to it.

I guess the moral of the story is that many products will do the job.

Rocket.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:59:02 pm by rocket »

Offline Sally

• Worked
  • Name: Chris, Sally
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »
Loving the detail you go to Rod, now I not only know how to clean my car but I also know the best products for cleaning whitewalls.  How is Maddie now? And how is Jeremy going.  Will call in next week
Cheers. Chris

Offline boss351

• Worked
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »
Gumption and wet fine steel wool  :thumb: used it for years
Life is short drive a Mustang

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 08:08:44 pm »
yeah rocket the omikron stuff is the go. u guys with with solvol and steel wool and all sorts of shit how much time do have????
we do a complete white letter / wall tyre including the chrome wheel and rinse off in about 2 mins.
been using it on everything from chrome and upholstery on mine and our 67 show kombi, and today my diff centre copped a decent clean with it too.
oh and ive used it on paintwork to get bird shite off too.
its the tits i tell ya. just dont let your kiddies drink it on a hot day, its on the evil side of koolaid.... :sick:
griff
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:11:40 pm by griff »
you get that .....

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
Loving the detail you go to Rod, now I not only know how to clean my car but I also know the best products for cleaning whitewalls.  How is Maddie now? And how is Jeremy going.  Will call in next week
Cheers. Chris

Hi Chris/Sally, It is all a learning experience. Over the years i have spent way too much on different cleaning/ polishing gear, but came to the conclusion that it is best to cut through the hype and just have a base range of products that do the job.
Maddie is still sore, but improving daily.
Jeremy is having a ball with Matt and Sheri. A mixture of hard work and playtime. He especially enjoyed a day out with them on the boat cruising to the different islands. They sorted out the carby issues on Mark`s Boss and have it running nicely.
See you next week.

Gumption and wet fine steel wool  :thumb: used it for years

Now that is interesting. My son suggested Gumption this morning. We use it to clean aluminium extrusions in the factory so have plenty. Will give it a go.

yeah rocket the omikron stuff is the go. u guys with with solvol and steel wool and all sorts of shit how much time do have????
we do a complete white letter / wall tyre including the chrome wheel and rinse off in about 2 mins.
been using it on everything from chrome and upholstery on mine and our 67 show kombi, and today my diff centre copped a decent clean with it too.
oh and ive used it on paintwork to get bird shite off too.
its the tits i tell ya. just dont let your kiddies drink it on a hot day, its on the evil side of koolaid.... :sick:
griff

Checked their Website but it appears there is no SA Distributor.
That is quite some recommendation you give. Sold. Will give them a ring and see if they will send some over. Thanks.

Rocket.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »
Hey Rocket great job,i will try this on my white lettering on the weekend...I love the colour of the muzzy your working on  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Cheers
John

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:53 pm »
yes its a recommendation for sure and i dont do that lightly!!
funny thing is whenever i wash my hands off with the stuff it leaves the sink gleaming  :grin:
ive got to order some more this week, i can fill a bottle and send some a-way down south for you rocket! ( thats if auspost allow it)
griff
you get that .....

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »
Hey Rocket great job,i will try this on my white lettering on the weekend...I love the colour of the muzzy your working on  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Cheers
John

Hi Birdman, I agree, Gulfstream Aqua is the ducks guts. Looks great on your car too :thumb:

yes its a recommendation for sure and i dont do that lightly!!
funny thing is whenever i wash my hands off with the stuff it leaves the sink gleaming  :grin:
ive got to order some more this week, i can fill a bottle and send some a-way down south for you rocket! ( thats if auspost allow it)
griff

Hi Griff, I appreciate your comments about the Omikron OC 120. Very generous offer of you to send some down South, but i have contacted Omikron to see if i can buy a couple of 5L Bottles and have them send it direct. Thanks for the offer. :smile01:

Looking forward to trying it out.

Rocket.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:05 pm »
Hi Birdman, I agree, Gulfstream Aqua is the ducks guts. Looks great on your car too :thumb:

Rocket.

Thanks Rocket,looks very similar, in 65 it was called Twilight Turquoise...

Birdman