Newbie saying hello

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Newbie saying hello  (Read 10367 times)

Offline Veronica

• Pony
  • Old Fords need love, just like everybody else
    • The Care and Feeding ofPonies
Re: Newbie saying hello
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »
Cool. I know where that is. I live in a neighborhood called Bunker Hill Village, which is only a couple of miles from there.  :smile01: I just bought your Oligarchy on itunes, btw. As far as music from Australia goes, I stumbled across a band a while back called Temujin that I like a lot. It takes me a while to figure out if I really like something, but, having listened to your album once, it appears to be something that I will end up liking. I like the way it's more layered than a lot of music in that genre, has a nice, rich harmonic content, and that it isn't like a lot of metal that you can listen to 8 bars and know exactly what's coming each and every beat for the next 4 minutes.  :lol: I will almost certainly be listening to this one for some time to come. Thank you for that.  :smile01:
"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out"
Carl Sagan

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:33 pm »
I just bought your Oligarchy on itunes, btw.

Gee thanks,

I haven't heard of Temujin, just listening to them now and thanks for the tip.

We'll be visiting the US later this year to play the Denver Doom Fest.

Coincidentally I (Shermatt actually) ended up buying my car from a guy in Denver, I suspect the previous owner bought it from Houston.

s
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:58:08 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline Veronica

• Pony
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 03:03:09 pm »
I don't get over to Colorado very often. The last time was like 5 or 6 years ago. Hubby and I did some hiking around Monarch Pass. It was nice. I like the Appalachian Mountains better than I do the Rockies, though. They aren't as high, but they have an astonishing level of biodiversity.

One of the things that I love about the internet is the way we are no longer held hostage by the radio stations. I stumble across band from all sorts of different places that are great, and would have absolutely no chance of getting on the radio here. Bands like Arkona, Eluveitie, Haggard, Agathodaimon, etc... Check this out.  :smile01:
Arkona - Katitsia Kolo (live) - Track 11
Carl Sagan

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 03:06:18 pm »
Bands like Arkona, Eluveitie, Haggard, Agathodaimon, etc...

We're playing with Eluveitie next month in Sydney.

:thumb:

s

Offline Veronica

• Pony
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 08:50:02 am »
That is so cool.  :smile01: Say hello to Anna Murphy for me if you get the chance. The wheel fiddle is like the coolest instrument ever.  :smile01:
Carl Sagan

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 11:14:51 am »
That is so cool.  :smile01: Say hello to Anna Murphy for me if you get the chance. The wheel fiddle is like the coolest instrument ever.  :smile01:

We played with Eluveitie on Saturday, definitely our best show to date, even hung out with them afterwards for drinks and last night we took them out to the harbour for the Vivid Festival.

http://www.vividsydney.com/

I did get to chat with Anna and found her to be the easiest to talk to.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
I forgot to mention, their violinist was unable to make the tour due to personal reasons and Vanessa from our band stood in to play a song with them, she got a great response from the crowd.

s

Offline Veronica

• Pony
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:04 am »
That is so cool.  :smile01: I have four of their records, Slania, Spirit, Evocation I-The Arcane Dominion, and Ven. I would have more if I could find it. As a side note, the same is true for your band. I bought Oligarchy and this ep thingy called Within the Walls, and I have come to the conclussion, after much contemplation,  :lol: that I like it.  :smile01: But, just for the sake of full disclosure, I have to add that I also count music by Johnny Mathis and Ed Ames among my favorites.  And, who could not love these guys?  :smile01:
The Tymes - "So Much In Love" Some metal acts might rethink the whole project when they discover that I enjoy listening to them.  :grin:
Carl Sagan

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 08:10:12 am »
I have to add that I also count music by Johnny Mathis and Ed Ames among my favorites.  And, who could not love these guys?

I remember Johnny Mathis, albeit when I was much younger. Nothing wrong with liking different styles of music.

Here's a photo of Mat, Lee and Megan with Anna.

Some scenes from 'Vivid' courtesy of Mat.

Mat's turning out to be one budding photographer, he won 2 'best of the month' awards on Pixoto.

http://www.pixoto.com/mathew.newton1/awards/in-april-2013

s
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:27:41 am by StephenSLR »

Offline Veronica

• Pony
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:32 am »
That Vivid Sydney thing looks like it must be quite spectacular. There aren't any festivals like that here in Houston. We do have one of the largest renaissance festivals in the country here every year,which is cool, but, nothing on the scale of that Vivid Sydney thing. That looks like it would be a lot of fun.  :smile01: Your friend does take good pictures. I would like to get better at photography. Sadly, I take pictures about as well as I play the guitar, which is quite poorly.  :lol: I've taken a gazillion pictures and have come away with maybe three good ones.  :smile01:
Carl Sagan

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:10 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Veronica,

Must say it will be nice having a few more women on this forum.

Ya just might have to cover up your ears on the odd occassion,  a few of us have been known to let off the odd shitzu or f*ckhowdidoody every now and again.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Veronica

• Pony
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:37 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Veronica,

Must say it will be nice having a few more women on this forum.

Ya just might have to cover up your ears on the odd occassion,  a few of us have been known to let off the odd shitzu or f*ckhowdidoody every now and again.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the welcome.  :smile01: One very useful ability that I have acquired through long-term exposure to 'car guys' is that I can completely ignore an awful lot.  :smile01: There are standards of conduct that should be observed at all times, but 'should be observed' and 'are observed' can't always be used interchangeably. The occasional lapse is not a big deal at all. :smile01:
Carl Sagan