Idler Pulley for Aircon - Replace or recon?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Idler Pulley for Aircon - Replace or recon?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline 69Grande

• Pony
Idler Pulley for Aircon - Replace or recon?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:56 pm »
Hi All,

While driving around today, the bearing in the idler pulley decided that it was too hot to work anymore and just spat it. It made a terrible noise. Scared the crap out of me and the missus. I pulled over straight away, turned her off, looked at the missus and said "well, looks like I need to rebuild the motor....  :evilone:  ". She was like  :toetapping:  "get out and see what it is." After looking under, over, and around, found the culprit. Slipped the belt off and drove home. After removing pulley, it appears that the pulley is press fitted to the bracket. Is it worth getting a new bearing kit and someone to press it off and then back on?? or is there some trick that I can do to separate the pulley from the bracket?? or just pay a bit more and buy a complete one??

PS... can't blame a man for trying   :grin:
Going for a drive, every chance I get.

Offline pmb

• Worked
Re: Idler Pulley for Aircon - Replace or recon?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »
I did mine cost around $4.00 for the bearing from CBC
I had to weld a piece of rod to the cap then use a slide hammer to remove it. Then used a press to push the pulley of the shaft. The pulley is easily bent so be carefull. A bit of a pain in the A... but can be done.
Pete 

Offline 69Grande

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »
Thanks very much Pete. I will have a go. Need a new one anyway, so no harm in trying. Might save myself about a hundred bucks.

Offline 69Grande

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:24 am »
Well, finally got around to changing the bearing on the idler/tensioner pulley. It was a bit fiddly, and with a bit of cursing and swearing, eventually got the bearing off the shaft. The cost of the new bearing was $11 from CBC (must be extra freight). Anyway, still saved almost a hundred bucks, plus the satisfying feeling of doing it myself.   :smile01:

Offline pmb

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »
Good work