Carburettor inductions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Carburettor inductions  (Read 5314 times)

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
Carburettor inductions
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:04 pm »
Has anyone had experience with the twin 4 barrel carb set up. I have 2 Holley 465?s on a recent 65 kcode import (Cobra two 4v induction kit). Is this hard to set up and maintain? Any tips would be great thanks.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Carburettor inductions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:52 am »
No not really just that there 2, holleys are holleys, keep the dirt out of them, and if they are corrrectly jetted they will be fine. Twice as much carb as a 289 needs though, but they look cool, you'd likly find it would be nicer to drive with a single 570 or similar.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:55 am »
Thanks Shaun, you're right - it looks really cool but is a beast to drive.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:44 am »
You can always put them on your bar as a talking point, and run a single carb.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »
Yes shaun methinks I'm too old for that set up. You think a Holley 570 will tame the brute? Any clues where to get one in southeast qld?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
A 570 is the go ,you will need a new intake manifold also ,a dual plain .Hume performance sydney do good prices on both . You  can then sell your set up you have now for good money .

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »
Before you go selling off your current set up, given its a K code it begs the question was the set up a factory or dealer installed deal? It may add more value to your car.

Those twin 4 set ups are fairly popular with the 289 guys who like a little more mumbo and a factory type option.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »
Before you go selling off your current set up, given its a K code it begs the question was the set up a factory or dealer installed deal? It may add more value to your car.

Those twin 4 set ups are fairly popular with the 289 guys who like a little more mumbo and a factory type option.

I just had a look around, filling in time while I cook dinner, I'm baking some potato wedges..... Anyway.... found this and thought it might be helpful

There are a few versions of original sbf 2X4 intakes that were available from Ford or Shelby. The 2 most common ones are the low-rise version that uses Carters carbs(i believe they are #3258 & #3259) and the high-rise version that uses Holley carbs (carbs #'s C6OA-9510-A List 3360 & C6OA-9510-B List 3361) There are 2 versions of intakes, both seen in the pics. The street version on the right(square runners). This intake is reproduced by Blue Thunder and readily available. Original intakes will have FoMoCo casted on the front runner and repro's don't. The other version (round runners ) is the trans-am version and is not reproduced and more scarce. The other 2X4 intakes include SHELBY crossram box top, 302 tunnel port & Boss 302 2X4 intakes.

last post here

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/471753-shelby-289-two-four-intake-where-find.html

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »
Sorry i did not read the K code part ,it depends if you want the K code to be original as for what intake and carby set up your looking for .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »
I wouldn't sell it just put it on the shelf, incase you sell the car. A K code just has a normally A code iron 4V mainfold from new unless it was a Shelby then it has a cobra branded Edlebrock F4B high-rise dual plain. The equivilant today would be an Edlebrock RPM, or you can buy repro Cobra manifolds. I'd stick a 570 street avanger on it with and RPM or Wieand stealth, or Action Plus, That will calm it down, in the low to mid range rpm. I have a new in the box Action Plus Weiand here I'm thinking of selling, I'm at Wynnum. An action plus or Edlebrock perfomer is a a low rise dual plain, simlar to what a K/A code ran from new, but alloy and with some extra flow. Iron factory ones are a similar priceto new alloy ones.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:15:20 pm by shaunp »

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »
Again thanks to all for your input. I carefully read all advice from the experts like Shaun, Glenn and mert. In relation to the car it is not a numbers matching kcode, though has a kcode engine. So moving away from original is not a problem. I really think that you're right Shaun, that the lower to mid range is harder to drive as is. It just wants to go hard all the time. Let me know Shaun if you end up deciding to sell the manifold. Cheers russ.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:12 am »
Russ I had this mainfold for my engine, which I'll be building fairly soon. But think I may go for an Airgap dual plain high rise instead, if I can get my money back on the Action Plus. I may have match ported it to my heads though can't remember, wouldn't make much differance though to your car If I did. It's been on the shelf for 4 years.