Can't Start my 66 Mustang when engine Hot, 347 stroker. Can anyone help Please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Can't Start my 66 Mustang when engine Hot, 347 stroker. Can anyone help Please  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ziggy

• Pony
Hi Everyone. I have a problem with my mustang 66. I have just had a new engine rebuild with a 347 stroker and all the good bits put in it. It starts perfectly every time when it is cool, however when i take it on a good run on a warmish day it will not start until it cools down. The starter just clicks and that is it. It will not crank at all. It does have headers which are quite close to the started motor. We feel that the starter motor is getting too hot and hence the problem is occurring. Has anyone experienced this problem and if they have do they have any solutions. Thank You.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Touche`, get some heat wrap/shield starter from the exhaust headers! :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Had a similar prob with my 302.
Would start every time when cold but not when it was warm.
A new battery fixed it.
Is ur battery OK ?
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
I overcame this on my last Clevo with an alloy heat shield I made up to create a barrier between the starter and solenoid and the extractors. Fixed it great  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
You will also need a heavier cable from battery to starter if you still have the orig one.
I had same prob and i put a heavier gauge cable on and routed it away from pipes, no problems since.
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
Had the same problem on the 390; start fine when cold but did not like it when hot.  Bigger cable from the battery to starter solinoid and a few miles (around 100 I think) to run her in and she is now fine- starts no problem even on the really hot days.
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'