mph or kph

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: mph or kph  (Read 8951 times)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
mph or kph
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
Im putting a autometer dash in my mustang and wonder what peoples thoughts are in keeping it mph or change to kph?
Also should i go electric or mechanical?
If i go electric ill also go with a gps sender for accuracy and will cost $500 or so or mechanical will cost $150 for gauge, 50 for cable and 30 for speedo gear.
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
Re: mph or kph
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »
You have gone to custom gauges anyway so originality doesn't matter anymore.   It's your preference. Won't be wrong either way as its your car and its the way YOU want it.  No one liked the idea of me putting a 427 cuber into my car but its my car.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:47:34 pm »
Agree with Dunrite66 - it's really up to you.  :agree: My personal preference, however, is kph because we live in a kph country. That's what I'd do if and when I go for an aftermarket instrument cluster.

Dave
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
George, i love the idea of a 427 :smilies:
yeah i was thinking kph until the missus said to keep it mph,
i might go all out and get the kph and gps system.
Only thing is how good is a gps on steep hills? I know the tunnels will be a prob but i rarely go in them, also my gps in my daily also looses reception driving in the city.
Is anyone running a gps speedo?
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Online peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:22 pm »
I have the full autometer dash in mine,
Metric speedo (electronic) the supplied transducer connects straight in to the original cable.
Alternativly you can purchase the gearbox transducer if you wish.
I dont think you really need the gps version as these things are the easiest to calibrate.
Happy to help if you have any more questions.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »
Thanks peter, ill have to get the transducer for the gearbox as i currantly run a dakota digital dash and will sell the currant transducer with the dash.

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:05:23 pm »
Only thing is how good is a gps on steep hills? I know the tunnels will be a prob but i rarely go in them, also my gps in my daily also looses reception driving in the city.
Is anyone running a gps speedo?

If you rely on GPS for speed you wont have the accuracy you need.
A GPS needs to see satellites to be accurate.
The more it sees the better it is.
IN a tunnel, or under trees or cloudy days or the city CBD you may not have enough satellites.
My work GPS (Leica GPS 900 RTK) has 10m accuracy with 3 satellites, 5m with 5, 1m with 9 & 25mm with 12.
Dont believe the sales pitch about getting 20 or more satellites.
You can only see 12 in the Southern hemisphere at any 1 time.
Want more, go to nortern europe or north america.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:07:41 pm »
My friend who works for Bursons just last week told me of a new Speedo guage which I think he said
 plugs into your cig lighter and works on your GPS

Great for classic cars

Moz

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:16 pm »
Autometer is not my cup of tea cause I don't see the point in changing gauges, but once you change them you may as well get Kph. Ive always had old car's MPH never bothered me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:18:33 pm by shaunp »

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:27:31 pm »
 If I were staying with an original look car I'd stay with mph.
If I were to change to the Dakota dash/aftermarket gauges then I would get kph.
 1966 GT Coupe. AFR 185 heads, Hyd Roller cam.  1/4 mile 11.21 sec @123mph

Offline George

• Worked
  • ._.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
KPH all the way. Miles is Americas tool of measurement which is old and inaccurate like there Inches and other weird stuff like gallons and whatever else.
Revelation 14:6-12

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »
Yes KPH all the way.  Unless you measure distance in miles as well?  I wouldn't think so.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »
I sent my speedo to "gary the tach man" in the states, where he re calibrated  it to read kph. Sprayed the face in kph like new, but looks exactly like the original. You really need to look at it twice to see the difference.

http://www.tachman.com/ford.htm

Cheers
Raven

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32:33 pm »
Raven

That is sweeeet

Dave
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:39 pm »
Excellent idea Raven

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:39 am »
After some research, i think i have to go mph, all my gauges are autometer sports comp, and the only electronic speedo in that series in five inch is mph.    :sick:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:23 am »
KPH all the way. Miles is Americas tool of measurement which is old and inaccurate like there Inches and other weird stuff like gallons and whatever else.

What's inaccurate about it? Engines are still reconditioned and machined in inches, even if they start out metric. You bore and grind them in 1000's of an inch, ie .010,020.030" etc, 39 thou =1mm. You measure crank to bearing clearance in thou, ie 1.5-3 thou. Replacement engine parts are sized in under or over size in thou, not mm. So to is lift on cam shafts etc, and it not just for US stuff either. There is nothing inacurate about imperial / US type measure, it's just different that's all.

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »
If you are a little older it dose not feel strange to have MPH, and it is to me part of what the car and it period is about. I do use my GPS and change it to MPH as it shows the area speeds as well ( in MPH) the blue tooth help as well. It all about how you feel. :cheers:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »
Am I the only one who doesn't even look at their speedo? I mean I do if I'm in a school zone but even then all I have to do is go back to second and just idle along really. Out of all the gauges, the only ones I look at really are temp and oil pressure. I grew up on motorbikes and if they actually had a speedo, most of the time they don't work, are inaccurate or disconnected. If you're going faster then everyone else, you're speeding.

If I were to change to aftermarket gauges, I too would change to kph. You can always change it back.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:59 pm »
Am I the only one who doesn't even look at their speedo?     .......................    If you're going faster then everyone else, you're speeding.

^ What he said.

My wife did not believe me when I told her I could tell within 5Mph how fast I was going by the sound - it's the modern, quiet cars that I get in trouble with - no noise - look down, whoops, way too fast!
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Online peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »
Agree,
But 5 MPH in the Nanny state (VIC) will almost get you handcuffed. :grin:
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:14 am »
Agree,
But 5 MPH in the Nanny state (VIC) will almost get you handcuffed. :grin:
Peter.

Nanny state indeed.

I often think "god I love Queensland - where most people consider the speed limit a guide only"

on an entirely different topic (big wink):
Have you ever noticed how anyone who drives slower than you is a bloody moron, and anyone who drives faster than you is a frigging maniac?  :grin:
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline MILD67

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »
I have the full autometer dash in mine,
Metric speedo (electronic) the supplied transducer connects straight in to the original cable.
Alternativly you can purchase the gearbox transducer if you wish.
I dont think you really need the gps version as these things are the easiest to calibrate.
Happy to help if you have any more questions.
Peter.
thanks peter,
as i have it almost together, how did you calibrate the speedo?
I got the electronic one in mph and the autometer transducer.
I cant do it for a week or so as my fuel tank is full of water at the moment getting the fumes out to modify thhe tank.
Rob

Online peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
From memory you press the tripmeter reset and start the engine (the speedo should go to maximum you can drive the car like this) until you get to where you are going to calibrate.
When you are ready to calibrate press the reset again (speedo will drop to half way) now drive exactly 2 miles or 2 klms if metric. (you will see the odometer counting like crazy)
Stop at the end of the 2 miles or km and press the reset again and it is calibrated.
You need to work out the distance before you start with another vehicle.
If you change tyre size or diff ratio you jut recalibrate.
It dosn't matter what transducer or speedo gears are in the transmission it will learn the pulses and calibrate to suit.
Just remember if its KPH calibrate with 2 klms if its MPH calibrate with 2 miles.
The more accurate your marked distance is the more accurate the speedo will be.
I fitted the autometer tank sender on to the origional sender assy and didn't modify the tank.
Peter.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:23:17 pm by peter9231 »