Alloy heads for 289

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Alloy heads for 289  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Barney

• Thoroughbred
Alloy heads for 289
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:22 am »
Hi

I was thinking of buying a crate engine for my 65 fastback, but now might just go for some alloy heads, cam and headers.

Can anyone recommend a nice head and cam combo?

Ash

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Alloy heads for 289
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:31 am »
All depends on the rest of your combo ,is it a late mod block ,what carby and intake . Is it an auto or manual and what are you after big hp or something that sounds good .If you are buying a crate engine what size and just order one with all the bits . A comp cams cam thumper series go and sound great and for heads AFR or trickflow will do the job .Its a whole package that does the job not just heads and cam even though thats were the HP is made ,heads are most important . Over the years engines have not changed a lot when doing up our model engines ,carbys ,intake manifolds ,cams ,pistons and the rest is the same its the cyl heads have and that means HP .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:13 am »
After you pick your heads and etc, use this to request a cam profile from Lunati. It's very detailed and goes right through all your car specs, they then suggest a cam to suit.

http://www.lunatipower.com/FindMyCam.aspx

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
If you are staying with your 289 a 570 vac sec street advenger carb ,a dual plain intake ,trick flow heads ,a nice HYD cam most brand name ones are good .The comp cams cam thumper is the one i would go for .Headers /extractors go 4 an interference type they sit high .You cant pick a big  cam with a stock auto .

Offline Barney

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 01:25:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply's guys

Running a Top Loader.

Not sure about the block, how can you tell how old it is?

I was going to go for a nice 363, but have put that on hold as I am considering building a 1984 Mustang racecar (Like Dick Johnsons Greens Tuff)

I am not after massive power, just a nice sound, currently has a Edlebrock Performer Intake Manifold and a new Holley 600 vac seconds

The engine was rebuilt 8000 miles ago, but I'm not sure whats in it but it has NO power

Ash

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
Easy trickflows ,hyd thumper cam and lifters ,double row timing set ,headers and a twin 2 1/2 system with flowmasters .Sound great and go good .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »
I find it interesting that you recommend a Thumper Cam, Glenn. As I was advised to steer clear of them by a large wholesaler as they are just noise makers and not performers. Be interesting to hear others opinions on these.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
They work ok in practise, they have large exhaust duration, to make them sound really cool. really a Hotrod/ Saturday night cruiser type cam. Cool in a 32 Ford rod,  You would get more power from other cams though, depends what you want. They really sound the business though. I don't like the Extreme engergy flat tappets either, they have pretty steep ramps, they don't last too well unless you are carefull with them. Comp cams Magnum, & dual engery are ok in the flat tappet.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
Yep not big HP cams but sound good ,you said you wanted it to sound good .If you want HP then get rid of the 289 .Go your 347/363 and have 430 up to 500 HP .

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:36 pm »
Comp Cams will do a custom grind for the same price as an off the shelf jobbie.  I got one made up for my ITB project.

Offline DUNRITE66

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »
ARE YOU BUILDING THE ENGINE YOURSELF OR GETTING SOMEONE TO DO IT....
Hi

I was thinking of buying a crate engine for my 65 fastback, but now might just go for some alloy heads, cam and headers.

Can anyone recommend a nice head and cam combo?

Ash