CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385085 times)

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #700 on: January 29, 2020, 12:15:27 pm »
I did a bit of reading on the Cquartz. Is it a shorter process than the Chem Guys jetseal if you apply several coats as per Rockets advice?

I'm just wondering for the 4wds I'm practicing on which see a bit of offroad use (not heaps), is it worth applying a sealant or just waxing after polish? I do like the idea of the sealant making washing easier and figure the practise can't hurt

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #701 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:23 pm »
I'd just be putting a sealant on a big 4x4

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #702 on: January 30, 2020, 08:58:30 am »
I really like this stuff for more casual use: Capro Hydro2 lite. Its a spray on sealant. Just spray on and pressure wash off. Its perfect for grills and wheels that are fiddly. It lasts a while and provides great self cleaning properties.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #703 on: January 30, 2020, 09:42:35 pm »
I did a bit of reading on the Cquartz. Is it a shorter process than the Chem Guys jetseal if you apply several coats as per Rockets advice?

I'm just wondering for the 4wds I'm practicing on which see a bit of offroad use (not heaps), is it worth applying a sealant or just waxing after polish? I do like the idea of the sealant making washing easier and figure the practise can't hurt
Remember that this thread is many years old & products have come a long way. As much as I liked Jetseal in the day, I would only use a ceramic coating now. CQuartz is easier to apply & I believe it gives you better protection & an amazing finish. For best results, you SHOULD do a corrective multi stage polish before applying. I'm getting tired in my old age so on my last application, I did a single pass with Carpro Essence which preps the paint for CQuartz & gives you a killer shine. It also fills a little which is a bonus.

Evan.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #704 on: January 30, 2020, 11:14:01 pm »
I like using essence too.

It fills the tiny scratches instead of cutting the paint down so easier to apply and get good results when beginning.

Offline 6R07K

• Stallion
« Reply #705 on: January 31, 2020, 07:22:28 pm »
Hi,

One of the problems with ceramic coatings is how do you really know it's doing its job. Regardless of how even it was coated it will wear different across the car such as horizontal surfaces appose to vertical, heat or dirt prone areas etc. People say how the water sheets, dirt doesn't stick or how easy it is to clean but none of those really gauge the situation reliably. The next question comes with recoating time and whether you have cleaned off the old ceramic coat or just putting the new coat on the remains of the old coat so it won't actually be bonding with the paint. Also the compatibility of the new coat with the old coating needs some consideration.

Don't get me wrong ceramic coatings are great....for the daily driver you are selling in a few years. But for an occasionally driven classic car with no intention of selling, I would take a different approach.

Number one rule is don't be harsher then you have to with the paint. Don't start every detail with a cut and polish, don't even clay bar the paint if it feels fine. Do a test area with the lightest touch first and work out what your paint needs.

Don't have anything bad to say about jetseal as I used it for years. But like Wolfgang 3.0 best now as it just seems to have a more magical gloss. I tend to end up topping it off with Dodo juice purple haze though not because it needs it but because I like the wax look.

Cheers

Ben
Lifes short, play hard.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2020, 07:55:45 am »
Hi,

One of the problems with ceramic coatings is how do you really know it's doing its job. Regardless of how even it was coated it will wear different across the car such as horizontal surfaces appose to vertical, heat or dirt prone areas etc. People say how the water sheets, dirt doesn't stick or how easy it is to clean but none of those really gauge the situation reliably. The next question comes with recoating time and whether you have cleaned off the old ceramic coat or just putting the new coat on the remains of the old coat so it won't actually be bonding with the paint. Also the compatibility of the new coat with the old coating needs some consideration.
Dodo juice purple haze though not because it needs it but because I like the wax look.
You have a good point, I guess we don't really have our own proof that it's protecting the paint. My reason for moving to ceramic was that I had 3 panels damaged by bird crap, years ago. These coatings claim they protect against this so I figured it must be better than nothing. Once I saw the finish on the car, I was sold. Also, I assume that my regular 'boosting' with ceramic based products like NV Lustre helps maintain the protection. Protection aside, the finish is better than anything I've ever used before.

Evan.

Offline eaglem

• Pony
  • I'm new here
    • https://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/eaglem09/eaglem-signature.png
  • Name: Bob Sweeney
  • Car: 2016 mustang Fastback GT
« Reply #707 on: March 27, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
The very best polish I've come across is Autoglyms Liquid Hard Wax 1 which has no cutting compounds so leaves no swirls. It is so easy to apply and buff off leaving a deep lasting shine. You can buy it at only one place now because all stock was purchased by the owner of Western Industrial Cleaning Supplies which has a lot of car detailing products in it's brochure. 

Happy Pentax User K-3 & K-1

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #708 on: April 05, 2020, 04:18:34 pm »
The very best polish I've come across is Autoglyms Liquid Hard Wax 1 which has no cutting compounds so leaves no swirls.
Polish is not usually the cause of swirls unless poor polishing technics or a refined enough polish is not used. Poor wash technics and or dirty finishing clothes more likely. Polish is used to remove swirls in the right hands. Polish and wax are  completely different products.

Polish is designed to "cut" even though it might be ever so minor in order to produce and glossy blemish free surface. Wax is designed to enhance and protect the polished finish. So you comment should read "the very best wax I've come across is Autoglyms.
I used to use a lot of wax's Collinite, Pinnacle souveran paste and liquid. All with pretty good results. But now use spray coatings like NV lustre and Nova Jet. They are easier to apply and imo produce superior results.
Always dreamed I'd have one!