CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385039 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #650 on: December 19, 2013, 11:06:20 pm »
My 70 mach 1 is bright yellow and every bee ,bug, insect lands on it ,they think its a big flower ,then they shit on it  or use it for target practice ,truly .    :cry:

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #651 on: December 19, 2013, 11:29:14 pm »
My 70 mach 1 is bright yellow and every bee ,bug, insect lands on it ,they think its a big flower ,then they shit on it  or use it for target practice ,truly .    :cry:
Same thing use to happen on my Eliminator but my Yellow was not that bright but always attracted bugs/insects
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

cam

cam
« Reply #652 on: December 20, 2013, 12:22:03 am »
Hi Guys.  With this thread generation so much interest we have moved it out of general chat and into the Mustang chat room. :hi:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #653 on: December 22, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »
Here you go gents, last few weeks job. Holden HSV ute, custom colour I mixed, pictures don't really do it justice. basically black base with heaps of purple pearl and some zeralic for some extra pop in the sun, 4 coats of MS clear. Rubbed it with 800, 1500, 2500 and cut it "only" with Menzerna 1000 on a rupes rotatory buff, no special pad, just plain old or orange sponge, it's killer in the sun goes from black to purple. The owner will fit it up and we will do a full cut up to 4500 Menzerna, can't wait looks whickered now. notice the XY shaker in the reflection! Tried some new paint on it General ROK works a treat, clear is a bit fast, slow reducer I think would flow it out better, but it cut up fine.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:29:25 pm by shaunp »

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #654 on: December 23, 2013, 07:58:43 am »
Hi shaunp, That sure is a killer shine. Looks fantastic. :thumb:

I am guessing next stage is 2500, then 4000 and finally 4500.

By the time you finish off with the Menzerna 4500 it is going to be sensational.

Hope you post up some photos again when it is finished.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline jlao6

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #655 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »
Nice work shaunp! Also, here is a great review on various polishes if you have no time to 3 step:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/42780-ultimate-1-step-showdown.html

John

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #656 on: January 02, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
hey Rocket thanks for this thread just what i was looking for . I noticed that you were asking about anyone who had hand rubbed I been doing it since i got married  :lmao: :lmao: and then decided to hand rub the boot of the stang , tehe worked out ok but all the info you have put up will give it a real top finish i hope .
We sprayed in acrylic . we had to lay the stripes down over the white then clear , let sit for a few mths , then blocked out the edges of the stripes with 800 re-cleared , then 1500 followed by 2000 and then the compound by hand.

Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #657 on: January 04, 2014, 01:09:41 pm »
Just learnt a lesson in polishing. Gave a car a nice citrus wash, this car hasn't seen a bucket of suds in many many years. The citrus cleans very well for just doing a wash. There were some stains/marks from being parked under a gum tree so I tried a little cutting polish on a cloth by hand to remove them but with a broken rib and a recently dislocated shoulder, this activity which I thought might be ok for 'light duties', turned out not to be. Think I might have a rest and possibly a little sleep instead. Might try to machine polish it later. Will see if that is ok for light duties.  :grin:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #658 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:59 am »
Got my new Flex out for the first time yesterday afternoon. What a pleasure it is to use. Sure makes any other half assed attempt at polishing I've done in the past crap. All I really wanted to do was clean and give a shine to a bonnet and guard tops as they were stained and aged. The car is a ute so it has scratches and small dents, I only wanted it to look more presentable. Half and an hour and I was done. And as sore as I was, and still am, I was able to easily hold onto the Flex and work it around. The whole task was much easier than I expected.

Before

After

I found this a great learning process as I now understand at what stage the Menzerna 2500 works. At first I thought it would cut more but it didn't. There was a lot of crap on the paint and a clay bar before hand would have benefited but I wasn't up for that. I did have some other Meguiars something that was more of a cutting compound so used it first to clean the panel then followed it up with the Menzerna 2500 to buff out the Meguiars.

It was quite easy to just let the compound and foam pad to do the work. For me it was a little strange to use the large 6.5 inch pad. All my other woodworking tools have 5 inch or smaller and I often go for the 3 or 2 inch backing plate. But it didn't take long to get a feel for how it wanted to go. I also soon felt safe about not burning edges and what not. At a low speed with forced orbital, you have a lot of feel. I am very happy that I went with this model.

I'm looking forward to trying it again on some paint that is in better condition. Hopefully without a broken rib too. :grin:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #659 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:45 pm »
hey Rocket thanks for this thread just what i was looking for . I noticed that you were asking about anyone who had hand rubbed I been doing it since i got married  :lmao: :lmao: and then decided to hand rub the boot of the stang , tehe worked out ok but all the info you have put up will give it a real top finish i hope .
We sprayed in acrylic . we had to lay the stripes down over the white then clear , let sit for a few mths , then blocked out the edges of the stripes with 800 re-cleared , then 1500 followed by 2000 and then the compound by hand.

67fasty, good thing all that hand rubbing did not send you blind :grin: :grin:

Looks like it was worth it for you - that boot lid has come up very nice indeed. Follow up with a machine polish and it will look stunning. :thumb:

Just learnt a lesson in polishing. Gave a car a nice citrus wash, this car hasn't seen a bucket of suds in many many years. The citrus cleans very well for just doing a wash. There were some stains/marks from being parked under a gum tree so I tried a little cutting polish on a cloth by hand to remove them but with a broken rib and a recently dislocated shoulder, this activity which I thought might be ok for 'light duties', turned out not to be. Think I might have a rest and possibly a little sleep instead. Might try to machine polish it later. Will see if that is ok for light duties.  :grin:

Hey Ash, Have you been on that bloody motorbike again? :grin:

The paint on the ute bonnet was pretty bad, but you sorted it very well. That is one heck of a difference you made. :thumb:

Hope your pain eases quickly so that you can hook in to the rest of it. :therethere:   :smile01:

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #660 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:42 pm »
Hey Rocket,

Cheers  :thumb:

No motorbikes this time. Due to no fault of my own, these cans of drink I had made my judgement a little off and I had a run in with a slip and slide. First jump down I managed to get hurt. Once my arm went back in place though, I kept going. Don't think a dozen more goes helped out either. :shrug: :grin:

I wont be going any further with the polishing. I did do the roof and sides but it is a ute and it has quite a few bumps and scratches around it. I just wanted to make it more presentable and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Before.

After.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:23:28 pm by Ash »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #661 on: January 05, 2014, 10:12:23 pm »
Looks to be a very tidy ute now. Top Job :thumb:

Sounds like those tinnies pack a punch! Good stuff, but all things are best in moderation. :grin:

By the way, who is the female in your avatar?

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »
Cheers, Rocket  :thumb:

By the way, who is the female in your avatar?

No idea, sorry. But someone who needs to respond to a high 5 when one is on offer  :grin:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #663 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:54 pm »
Yesterday I purchased a long term lesson in polishing and paint maintenance. This is going to be fun :ouch: :grin:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #664 on: January 14, 2014, 06:01:09 pm »
Ohh... That looks good... and BIG!

A nice dark colour... That will test out your skills :thumb:

Looking forward to before and after photos.

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #665 on: January 14, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
I'm really happy with it. This makes two of them in my driveway now. Picked this up for a nice price and will be my daily/work car. The wife got sick of me driving hers so we got a second one. It's a great tow car plus a 7 seater with the works.

It's a very black car, Rocket. Should be a real test.
It has quite a few holograms around the front as it's just had some panel work after hitting a roo. I think I have the right tools to fix that so it'll be a good lesson. There's a few little scratches, not sure how they will clean up but other than some small shopping trolley dents, it's pretty good.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #666 on: March 22, 2014, 08:50:54 pm »
Rocket, or anyone who might be able to help, I've been polishing some aluminium and all went well but now it has come to cleaning the pads. After two washes in the washing machine along with the microfibre towels, I used some of the Chem guys mircofibre cleaner first then just a normal wash. I did the second wash as the first was not enough. This is after the second wash and they are still very dirty. Any suggestions or should I just put them aside for aluminium only and buy some more to replace them?

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2014, 10:46:24 pm »
Hi Ash, Yes... I reckon they are fooked for polishing duties.

Did you ever get around to polishing the big black explorer?

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »
Thought just as much. Cheers, Rocket. Will get some more ordered. Am loving the Flex by the way  :thumb:

No, I haven't seen the paint on the Explorer for weeks due to the layer of mud on it. We're getting a road upgrade on the main road coming into town. They expect it to be going until June/July which will most likely mean possibly Christmas. Other than driving in the rain, my car will most likely not see water as there is no real point until there's no more mud to drive on.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2014, 11:45:12 pm »
Glad you like the Flex.

Sounds like you are in for a messy winter with the cars.

Rocket.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #670 on: March 29, 2014, 10:01:54 am »
ha, no rocket haven't gone competely blind yet , yep intend to finish off with a machine polish i found this kit available here in aus any thoughts on it . it looks to have most of the gear that you like .
thanks shane

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/car_care_products/enthusiast_random_orbital_kit
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #671 on: March 29, 2014, 12:21:57 pm »
Hi Shane, Yes... That kit is for the most part very good.

Only suggestion I would make is ask them to make a change to the Polish grades. I know you have already cut and buffed the Fastback with Farecla Compound, so no need to use the FG500 -That is too abrasive for your purpose in my opinion.

See if you can change the FG500 to SF4500. Then you use the PF2500 first with a Orange Lake Country Pad, then SF4000 with a White Lake Country pad, followed by the SF4500 on a Black Lake Country Pad.

The SF4500 is a final step Refining polish.

That is what I would do anyway. Hope that helps.

Rocket.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #672 on: March 29, 2014, 04:50:44 pm »
Rocket thankyou very much for your help  :thumb: will do and swap it round if i can else will just get the extra compound that i will need.  :cheers:
Regards Shane

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #673 on: April 05, 2014, 08:54:01 am »
Hey Guys,

Just got an email from Waxit & a new sealer caught my eye: http://waxit.com.au/p/8696680/carpro-cquartz-uk-edition-50ml.html

Anyone used this yet? A quick Google returned some positive results.
I've been fighting a losing battle with keeping my paint flawless. I've had issues with watermarks, light scratching from cleaning, etc. A couple of panels copped some radioactive bird sh1t recently which has made a real mess. WTF do these birds eat???? :omg: I've given up on the Jetseal for the moment as I'm not convinced it's adding much protection. Amazing finish but the paint still seems to stain/mark easily. I'd be interested to hear opinions on CarPro CQuartz which is ceramic based & has a two year life expectancy.
The painter is about to repair & repaint a couple of panels & once he's finished, I'm going to give the car another corrective polish. Hopefully I can cut the bird sh1t damage out! Once the paint's perfect, I need to decide which sealer to use, followed by Rocket's trusty Max Wax. Love this stuff Rocket, just see the latest pic below:

Evan.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:32:16 am by evan »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #674 on: April 05, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
Evan, That car is gorgeous! Paint looks flawless in the photo.

A lot of Detailers seem to be moving away from normal Sealants now in favour of  Ceramic coatings like cquartz and Opti Coat. Have not tried them myself but the theory is that when cured they are a solid barrier to things like bird poop.

Will do some studying tonight but in the mean time here are a couple of Links

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/78327-opti-coat.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/72474-review-how-black-label-diamond-paint-coating.html

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=335115

Rocket.