CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385006 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #575 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
Just wanted to say the Waxit discount offer is still working well. I hope others haven't forgotten about it.  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #576 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »
I placed my order late Sunday night. First thing Wednesday morning I had the bits at my door. This is my second order with Waxit and again I'm impressed.  :thumb:

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #577 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:39 pm »
After reading this whole thread I decided to purchase my own kit. Problem is I've done 4 family cars and still not mine. Suits me at this stage as I'm practising on their cars first. My question is how do you get bird poo off the car. I have used the clay bar, polish with no luck. The bird poo was left on the car for about 5 weeks and it seeems that it is etched into the paint. Any ideas?

Offline jlao6

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #578 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »
Looks like the waxit coupon code no longer works.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #579 on: August 28, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »
I got an email from them tonight.

"New Waxit Car Care Site! 15% Off First Purchase!

In this brand new site, for security reasons, we couldn't transfer passwords, but we have all your other details. All you will need to do is update your password.

Click the link to see a picture tutorial and a quick one minute video on how to create a new password.

Once you have updated your account or if you are a new to waxit and would like to create a brand new account you will be able to use the coupon.

It is a one time use coupon so stock up on all your detailing supplies! The Coupon Expires on the 1st of October so be quick!"

Offline jlao6

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #580 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »
Even the machine polishers works with the code! that's awesome, i wonder if they will be able to provide us a new coupon code such as 15% storewide for us forum members as the old code is now retired .

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #581 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:07 pm »
After reading this whole thread I decided to purchase my own kit. Problem is I've done 4 family cars and still not mine. Suits me at this stage as I'm practising on their cars first. My question is how do you get bird poo off the car. I have used the clay bar, polish with no luck. The bird poo was left on the car for about 5 weeks and it seeems that it is etched into the paint. Any ideas?

Bugger! Bird Poo is acidic, so I think you are correct in that it is now etched into the paint. You could try lightly wet rubbing with a bit of 1200 grit, followed by machine polishing. This should make it less noticeable - but it will still be there.

Make sure to keep plenty of wax or sealant on the paint, which should stop the bird poo etching into your paint in future.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #582 on: September 14, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »
Hi Rocket, I thought this product review might interest you.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?2832-SPI-Matte-Black

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2013, 02:08:42 pm »
Hi Ash, Yes... Sure does.

Found out how hard it is to clean Matt Black at the Perth Nationals. Matt Black on the bonnets of the Mach1`s kept on streaking when we cleaned them. The Wizard product should overcome that.

One of the seasoned veterans at the Nationals suggested using window cleaner on the blackouts because it evaporates off the surface instead of leaving streaks as it dries.

The SPI Forum is full of good info about paint and panel. Thanks - added to favourites.

Rocket.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:12:38 pm by rocket »

Offline kaanage

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #584 on: September 15, 2013, 07:40:10 pm »
Hi all

First up, I'd like to say that I don't own a Mustang (although they are my all time favourite American car) but I've gleaned so much information from this thread (particularly from rocket - the polishing guru) that I felt I had to contribute back a bit.

Based on rocket's assessment, I bought one of the ZFE Dual Action polisher kits on eBay. The best thing is that they now have a local eBay store (based in Kogarah, Queeensland) so there is hope for local support and the shipping charges are lower than if bought over Alibaba (http://stores.ebay.com.au/ZFE-STORES-AU?_rdc=1).

I began my paint correction experience today (well, I did use a big rotary polisher years ago to tidy up a previous car but that was a decade ago) with the ZFE polisher, the flat orange pads and Chemical Guys V32 polish (similar in cutting power to Menzerna FG500, I believe) on my friend's red XF panel van. The paint on the roof and bonnet had gone all chalky so after cleaning the car, I clayed the bonnet to get rid of years of paint and other gunk from building sites and then I polished half the bonnet while he used a cutting wax on the other side. After working out that I wasn't going to damage the paintwork, I sped up the polisher and put some pressure on and it cleaned up surprisingly well. I ended up polishing half the panel van and used a wool pad to buff out the cutting wax used on the other half. My friend was very sceptical about how much difference (if any) the polishing would make but the difference vs the cutting wax was staggering, especially in sunlight.

With that under my belt, I polished the bonnet on my car (after a full clean and then IPA wipedown of the bonnet) which was annoying me due to some scratches and swirls. I used the V32 using the wavy orange pad (since I'd used up the flat ones) and finished it off with Chemical Guys V36 (similar to Menzerna PF2500) on a wavy black pad. The paint on my car (a VW Polo) has a very hard clearcoat so I had to be quite aggressive with the V32 but it did the job on the scratches/swirls and the V36 left it looking like a wavy mirror (with factory orange peel that would need sanding to remove :ouch:).

Anyway, I thought my experience + the eBay store would be useful to some of you

Greg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:46:20 pm by kaanage »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #585 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on where they get 3M Trizact 3000 150mm discs? I went to a larger supplies store and they wanted over $7 a disc.

I've just ordered some more velour backed discs from The Sandpaper man in similar grades and finer and he charges $3.27 a disc. Big price price difference compared to 3M but would still like to get some.

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #586 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
The sandpaper man sounds like a Super Hero
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #587 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on where they get 3M Trizact 3000 150mm discs? I went to a larger supplies store and they wanted over $7 a disc.

I've just ordered some more velour backed discs from The Sandpaper man in similar grades and finer and he charges $3.27 a disc. Big price price difference compared to 3M but would still like to get some.

Ash, Just had a look in the car factory to see if we have any, but it appears not.
If you like i will ask Luke to get a price from our supplier in the morning. How many discs are you wanting?

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #588 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
Ash, Just had a look in the car factory to see if we have any, but it appears not.
If you like i will ask Luke to get a price from our supplier in the morning. How many discs are you wanting?

Rocket.

That'd be excellent, Rocket. Appreciate the offer  :thumb:

I asked the supplies store for a box. I will probably only need a few discs but thought if the price was decent for a box, I'd grab that and put the rest aside as I'll need them for some paint jobs before too long.

I'm cleaning up and polishing a set of mags for my F-truck. I have a new set of tyres coming for them this week but it'll be a few weeks before they need to be fitted to the truck due to other repairs I need to do.

I can get 2 x 50mm and 2 x 75mm cut-outs out of each 150mm disc. So it goes a long way.

I stated on one today but only had enough to get up to 2000 grit.

This is what they were like when I got them

And this was up to 2000 grit

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #589 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:56 pm »
Is there a supplier (prefer Sydney) where I can purchase bulk metal polish. At the moment I'm using brasso at $8 a tin(250ml). Using this to polish aluminium at work. Not looking at anything more expensive than the brasso and would prefer to buy in bulk in either 4L or 20L. I understand that you get what you pay for, but for what it is used for low cost is the go. Thanks in advance.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #590 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »
That'd be excellent, Rocket. Appreciate the offer  :thumb:

I asked the supplies store for a box. I will probably only need a few discs but thought if the price was decent for a box, I'd grab that and put the rest aside as I'll need them for some paint jobs before too long.

I'm cleaning up and polishing a set of mags for my F-truck. I have a new set of tyres coming for them this week but it'll be a few weeks before they need to be fitted to the truck due to other repairs I need to do.

I can get 2 x 50mm and 2 x 75mm cut-outs out of each 150mm disc. So it goes a long way.

I stated on one today but only had enough to get up to 2000 grit.

This is what they were like when I got them

And this was up to 2000 grit

Ash, Those wheels are coming up a treat. Great work!\

I have had Luke check into the Trizact. Not good news unfortunately. Our supplier uses a brand called Mirka - not 3M. They list 1,000, 2,000 and 4,000 grit only - No listing for 3,000 at all. Prices are  $5.17 per disc plus GST = $5.68 per disc total with minimum quantity of 25
Luke said that in his prior life in crash shops they only ever used the 1, 2,and 4 thousand grit.

I did a google search and saw that Workmate Abrasives also sell Mirka sandpapers - might also be worth checking them out unless it mus be the 3M brand.

UPDATE - Luke spoke with another Supplier who suggested to try Complete Coating Solutions, 8 Duncan Rd Dry Creek SA ph 08 82624414 His contact suggested going direct is best and mentioned 20 discs for $83.60. He thinks they carry the 3,000 grit too.
Website -   http://completecoating.com.au/contact.html#sa

Rocket.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:10:56 pm by rocket »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #591 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:44 pm »
Is there a supplier (prefer Sydney) where I can purchase bulk metal polish. At the moment I'm using brasso at $8 a tin(250ml). Using this to polish aluminium at work. Not looking at anything more expensive than the brasso and would prefer to buy in bulk in either 4L or 20L. I understand that you get what you pay for, but for what it is used for low cost is the go. Thanks in advance.

A google search brought up the following - ( searched for Metal Polish Bulk )

http://www.rubbedin.com.au/Product/11/The-Magic-Range/Metal-Magic-

http://autosol.com.au/autosol-msds.html

Might pay you to make some phone calls.

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #592 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »
Ash, Those wheels are coming up a treat. Great work!\

I have had Luke check into the Trizact. Not good news unfortunately. Our supplier uses a brand called Mirka - not 3M. They list 1,000, 2,000 and 4,000 grit only - No listing for 3,000 at all. Prices are  $5.17 per disc plus GST = $5.68 per disc total with minimum quantity of 25
Luke said that in his prior life in crash shops they only ever used the 1, 2,and 4 thousand grit.

I did a google search and saw that Workmate Abrasives also sell Mirka sandpapers - might also be worth checking them out unless it mus be the 3M brand.

UPDATE - Luke spoke with another Supplier who suggested to try Complete Coating Solutions, 8 Duncan Rd Dry Creek SA ph 08 82624414 His contact suggested going direct is best and mentioned 20 discs for $83.60. He thinks they carry the 3,000 grit too.
Website -   http://completecoating.com.au/contact.html#sa

Rocket.

Rocket, thank you very much for going to the effort for me. Say thank you to Luke also for the advice  :thumb:

And cheers, I'm happy with how the wheels are turning out. Should be quite good when done.

It looks like 3M is excluding themselves due to price. It was Autolac that I went in Newcastle and they had a substitute brand also. I didn't take it as I wasn't sure about it. I'll get back in touch with them and see what the brand name was.

I have this other order from The Sandpaper man coming and I got a range up to 4000 grit. The biggest difference that I can see with it compared to the 3m was that the 3M Trizact has a foam backing and it shaped itself quite nicely to the curves. Whereas The Sandpaper Man's discs are the typical flat type.
The foam backing worked very well when I was polishing the last job I did, a brass/copper fire extinguisher. I thought it would also help with all the curves and corners on these wheels.

I'll give Complete Coating Solutions a try also, as per Luke's info. 20 discs for $83.60 seems quite good.

Thanks again  :thumb:

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:47 am »
Went for ChemGuys jetseal 109

Hi Rod
Just curious, have u tried the Jetseal109 on chrome or stainless ?
If so , what were the results ?
What are people using to polish chrome ?
Tried the purple but found it hard to remove.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »
Hi Michael, No I have not used Jetseal 109 on Chrome, but probably worth a try.

I found Autosol quite good on Chrome and have also used Purple which I also thought was ok. Agree it took a fair bit of rubbing and the cloth became black very quickly.

Are you getting your Mustang ready for Summer Cruising?

Rocket.

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2013, 02:16:54 am »
Are you getting your Mustang ready for Summer Cruising?
Amongst other things.
Will have to pop in for a chat.
Been awhile.
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2013, 11:40:19 pm »
Hi guys... It has been a while! Have not touched a machine polisher since last summer because of burning knee syndrome. Bugger! Getting restless to get back into it.

Have been checking out the detailing forums and came across an excellent thread on the autogeek forum. The subject car is from the dark side - a Camaro - but check it out anyway -

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/71507-show-shine-black-69-camaro-ss-pro-touring.html

A very good read. :thumb:

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #597 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:04 am »
I was looking at places to purchase a Flex from over the weekend but was concerned about buying from overseas and the voltage and etc possible issues. Here the price is still quite high. This morning though I received an email from Waxit with a promo on their Concours 900. Not sure if anyone else did? Is the Flex worth the extra money for a home hobby? This is a good discount on the Concours at the moment

http://waxit.com.au/p/8738855/machine-polish-stage-1---simplified-.html

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #598 on: November 11, 2013, 11:33:52 am »
Hi Ash, I believe you would be looking around the $650 mark to buy a Flex here.

The Export model from overseas is now on the autogeek site for $430 plus shipping. They are obviously looking after the aussie distributor because it will cost over $200 to get it shipped from the USA. Pointless exercise now -
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-230-volt-polisher.html

If you only intend to use it very occasionally - the Concours is probably the way to go. At $265 for the kit that is pretty good value.

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #599 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:22 am »
Hi Rocket,

At $200 post, it's not worth it, I agree. the Concours is looking attractive.

I did find this but I'm not sure on the voltage? Perhaps for that price, it is worth just using a step-up/step-down power converter/transformer which I have one of.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/FLEX_L3403_VRG_professional_lightweight_rotary_buf_p/buf_l3403vr_kit.htm

I also found an old link in this thread to this. They are quoting $102 for postage. But this is still double the price of the Concours.

http://www.toolking.com/flex-xc3401vrgcee-variable-speed-dual-action-orbital-polisher-230-volt