CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385123 times)

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2012, 11:26:53 pm »
Hey Rod
Plug is continental .... Simple mod to change to Aus

Jack

I just bought an adapter from Big W for mine, works well. May change the plug one day.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #401 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:46 am »
Report how it lasts on the Terri rocket. May be an easy top up method

Offline Brumby1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #402 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »
mwizz
For me an adaptor is just one more thing  to go wrong. Not a pessimist but a great believer in Professor Murphy

jusTANG
 Nothing???  Aus post is getting worrying.

Rocket
Tried on the blue hyundai. One side of bonnet.  P203S on orange using your 400mm 4 peas 4 minute method.  Cant see much difference between the sides, in shadow or sunlight.  Maybe need a second cut?  Is it normal for the head to get warm???

Jack

What can I say that hasn't been said

Offline JohnWick

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #403 on: December 28, 2012, 05:06:48 pm »
Hi all,
noticed on this thread that swissvax was mentioned early on, although not a stang owner yet ( i've been watching this site daily for months now so it won't be long) I have been using there products for years on my Harley & Patrol.
Yes its expensive, and has to be ordered from os, but the results are second to none & I would recommend there product to anyone, particularly on the darker colours. Below is the link for the procedure below, the process takes a while but is well worth the result. The link also has useful tips on interior & exterior finishes.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?151824-How-To-Make-That-New-Car-Trick-and-save-some-money!!!!!&highlight=swissvax

my 2 cents
cheers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:17:09 pm by RUBY »

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #404 on: December 29, 2012, 12:02:16 am »
Jack wrote -
Tried on the blue hyundai. One side of bonnet.  P203S on orange using your 400mm 4 peas 4 minute method.  Cant see much difference between the sides, in shadow or sunlight.  Maybe need a second cut?  Is it normal for the head to get warm???

Hi Jack, P203S on an Orange Pad should be a fairly aggressive combination. Couple of questions - What speed were you using on the Flex to Polish? Did you break the Polish right down? ie Very little excess Polish left to wipe off.
To check your results - put the car out in the sun. Look at the area you polished from all angles. Are there any swirl marks remaining? Is there orange peel in the paint which would dull down your result? Rub the flat of your hand over the surface - does it feel extremely smooth?

Here is the procedure to use for the Flex. As you stated - 4 pea sized dobs of polish on the Pad. One only spray of quick detailer on the Pad. Dab the Polish on a 400mm x 400mm area. Start the Flex on speed 1 and quickly spread the Polish. Crank the Flex up to speed 5 or 6( Maximum ) and move it SLOWLY over the area in a cross hatch pattern, overlapping about 50% with each pass. Use moderate pressure only. ie push down on the Flex - but not enough to dent the panel. You should go over the area about 6 times in the 4-5 minutes that it takes to break down the Polish . Make sure the Polish is fully broken down before stopping - even if it takes 6 minutes.
There should be very little excess Polish to wipe off afterwards.

The head of the Flex does get extremely hot, nothing to worry about.

The tendency for a newbie at this type of Polishing is to move the machine too fast, but you need to move slowly in order to make the Polish, Pad and Machine do the work.

Make sure to Polish in the shade, preferably in the garage and do not polish the car while the metal is hot. Outside temperature under 30 degrees is best.

I have never come across paintwork that did not show an improvement after machine polishing, so i think it is just a matter of refining your technique.

Is any of the above different to how you Polished the bonnet today?

We are heading down the South East as soon as i can get the missus moving in the morning, otherwise i would come to your place and give you a hand. If you want to wait till we return i will be more than happy to help.

Rocket.

Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »
mwizz

jusTANG
 Nothing???  Aus post is getting worrying.

Jack

:tissue: very worried now, that's seven days, a few PH in the middle
however they worked weekend before   :cry:

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »
I know this thread is mainly around the exterior of the car, however what do people use to remove the cutting & polishing compounds etc...

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #407 on: December 29, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Hi Herman, Yes that white residue that is usually left on the car during careless buffing can be a pain to remove.
You need to remove it before waxing the car

There are a few methods you can use. My favourite is Autoglym Fast Glass available at Autobarn. It is an excellent window cleaner but is also good for removing polish residue. Just spray it on and wipe off with a Microfibre cloth.

You can also try Peanut Butter. Apparently the Vegetable oil in Peanut Butter is good for removing the residue.

Another method is to use all purpose cleaner together with a detailing brush. Spray the cleaner on the area then agitate it with the brush, then rinse off.

If it is really stubborn you could use some Wax and Grease remover, but this would be a last resort as it is actually diluted thinners. If you use this be sure to follow up immediately with a good rinse. If left on the paint for any length of time it could cause problems with the paint.

Please let us know how you go. I assume you are talkng about your freshly repaired car?

Rocket.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
Rocket

Yes we're talking about the Green Machine which I have now back at home.  Today I used a combination of a Citrus cleaner, Meguiars Quick Detailer and Window cleaner in the engine bay which has come up pretty good.  Started in the boot with just Meguiars window cleaner which is working well.

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »
Had a go on the daily driver to get some practice. Started off with the clay bar first. Took about 2.5 hours due to the car been very dirty. Then Orange pad with the 500, 2nd white pad with the 2500. Polish process so far 5.5 hrs. At the moment I am very sore but the gloss coming off the car is unbelieveable. My neighbour thinks I got the car resrayed. Still need to finish off with the 4500 and black pad, then wax(maybe tomorrow). My only concern is that if I do the same process on the mustang I'm not sure if I would like it as it is very plastic looking and not factory.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2012, 10:07:11 pm »
Rocket

Yes we're talking about the Green Machine which I have now back at home.  Today I used a combination of a Citrus cleaner, Meguiars Quick Detailer and Window cleaner in the engine bay which has come up pretty good.  Started in the boot with just Meguiars window cleaner which is working well.

Herman

Herman, That is good. I do not know what the ingredient is that makes window cleaner work well at removing the Polish stains, but glad to know it is doing the job.

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2012, 10:11:32 pm »
Had a go on the daily driver to get some practice. Started off with the clay bar first. Took about 2.5 hours due to the car been very dirty. Then Orange pad with the 500, 2nd white pad with the 2500. Polish process so far 5.5 hrs. At the moment I am very sore but the gloss coming off the car is unbelieveable. My neighbour thinks I got the car resrayed. Still need to finish off with the 4500 and black pad, then wax(maybe tomorrow). My only concern is that if I do the same process on the mustang I'm not sure if I would like it as it is very plastic looking and not factory.

Hi 65muzzy, Not surprising that you are sore, you just work through the pain. It does get easier.

You will find that the 4500 on the black pad will Refine the shine on the car. By using a Wax instead of a Sealant it will have more of a warm glow than a plastic looking shine.

Can you put up some pics when you are finished?

Rocket.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

You can also try Peanut Butter. Apparently the Vegetable oil in Peanut Butter is good for removing the residue.

...just don't use extra crunchy

Offline Brumby1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #413 on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:27 pm »
I think a certain jusTANG needs to throw up a few before and after pics. I think he just got happy again.  :pepper:  :pepper:  :lmao:  :bolt:
What can I say that hasn't been said

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »
 :grin:     yes Jack I think you are correct. Lets just say its been a tense time and my staff are alittle worried with the way I cradled the flex on its final arriva

Summernats for the next 4 days so no testing till after that. Maybe just a little tomorrow night  :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:16:00 pm by jusTANG »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2013, 01:01:06 am »
Hi Guys, Has anybody Polished their car over the Christmas break? Was hoping for some feedback on the ZFE Polisher and photos of some shining, gleaming Mustangs.

Mentioned earlier that i am looking for a supplier of quality Foam Polishing Pads. Really like the Lake Country CCS Pads, but being a bit of a scrooge - i do not like to pay top dollar for them. You can buy 6 Pads for $50 in the USA from Autogeek - great value, but by the time you add shipping they become a lot dearer. So i have been looking for Pads from China. Came across these on AliExpress and at only $7.22 each delivered, i placed an order for 2 sets -

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Stores-Promotion-New-5PC-6-Diamond-Face-Foam-Buffing-pad-and-Polishing-Pad-set-for/609033424.html

I placed the order on 3rd December, but they did not arrive until early January. I was a bit pissed off about that, but in fairness - it was holiday time so understandable that the post was slow at that time of year.
Had the opportunity to try them out today and find them quite impressive. Need to use them a bit more to form a good opinion, but at the moment i say they are a good buy -

Check out this link to see what i buffed today -

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/rocket67/Autopian%20Car%20Polishing/

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2013, 09:19:29 am »
Rocket, are the Chinese ones velcro/hook and loop backed?

That roof you polished looks too good for the car, I bet the owner will sure be surprised!  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2013, 09:24:41 am »

That roof you polished looks too good for the car, I bet the owner will sure be surprised!  :thumb:

Shit, just read your other thread and realised that roof is yours.  :therethere: Yes, I'm sure the owner will be very pleased  :grin: :bow:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #418 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:24 am »
Rocket, are the Chinese ones velcro/hook and loop backed?

Hi Ash, Yes - The Diamond Faced Pads are Velcro/Hook and Loop. The Velcro does not go right out to the edge like the Lake Country Pads do, but they stick like shyte to a blanket. :thumb:

Haha... So you realised that is the roof on the Patrol straight out of the WA mines. Before photo -

After -

The roof had already been washed before the first photo. That red dust is very sticky. Took a lot of scrubbing to get rid of it.

Next week we will scrub the undercarriage and also fix a few minor dents in the body and blow them in.

More photos -

http://s244.beta.photobucket.com/user/rocket67/library/Autopian%20Car%20Polishing

Rocket.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #419 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »
Hi Guys, Has anybody Polished their car over the Christmas break? Was hoping for some feedback on the ZFE Polisher and photos of some shining, gleaming Mustangs.

Nope, havent even had time to test the Flex yet :-(

Offline Ash

• Supercharged

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2013, 12:53:27 am »
Rocket, in regards to the set you posted above, what do you think of this package as a way of getting a backing plate to use them with? $15.90 seems pretty reasonable?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5x-6-Waffle-Polishing-Buffer-Pad-Set-one-M14-Drill-Adapter-For-Car-polishing/113369_737818082.html

Hi Ash, I doubt that you could buy a backing plate in this country for $15.90 - so it looks a good buy just to get the backing plate.

But i can tell you from experience that those waffle wave pads are an absolute piece of crap. You would be lucky to get any use out of them.

Maybe you could contact the supplier - i think her name is Emma, and ask her how much extra it would cost to order a set of the diamond faced pads and a backing plate. I was quite impressed by those pads yesterday.

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #422 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:16 am »
Nope, havent even had time to test the Flex yet :-(

Hi Justang, I am guessing a combination of hot weather and a busy xmas period for you?

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #423 on: January 20, 2013, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi Ash, I doubt that you could buy a backing plate in this country for $15.90 - so it looks a good buy just to get the backing plate.

But i can tell you from experience that those waffle wave pads are an absolute piece of crap. You would be lucky to get any use out of them.

Maybe you could contact the supplier - i think her name is Emma, and ask her how much extra it would cost to order a set of the diamond faced pads and a backing plate. I was quite impressed by those pads yesterday.

Rocket.

Thanks, Rocket. I'll give that one a miss then. I was thinking if the pads were good, would be a good way to buy them.

After more searching, I found this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1x5-125mm-Polishing-Pad-Buffing-pad-Holder-Backer/538834214.html

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2013, 03:18:58 pm »
 :thumb: Bargain!

Rocket.