CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385078 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2012, 12:21:12 am »
You're not wrong, Dad loves it! He had the BF XR6 before this and as nice of a car it was, the FG makes the BF feel prehistoric. I've never known Dad to own a car longer then 3 years and he had the BF for 5, that's how much he liked it. I can see this thing hanging around for just as long.

It really is surprising when I took it for a good run, how much more responsive the FG is compared to the BF. He got a 6 speed manual too and and after the drive home from Wollongong back to Newcastle and driving to work for a week, he was still on the first tank of petrol and was averaging 8.1 litres/100. That's insane I thought for a Falcon! The hour or so that I had it, it may have increased its consumption a bit though  :burnout:

I was actually just looking at some G6's. Our Territory needed a tow home today. Will try and fix it tomorrow but as inviting a newer model G6/XR/Territory might be, they all look so much better, they are still priced to high for my budget. The Territory I think will have to take a few more years of abuse....once it goes again that is. :ouch:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2012, 01:16:31 am »

Car looks great BLU302 and that paint is sparkling !
Love the colour.

Unfortunately, this subject bores the shyte out of most people.
How wrong u were.
This threads gonna be a monster !  :lol:

Haven't lashed out on a kit for myself yet but I'm enjoying watching the experiences of others and taking notes.

I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:38 am »
Thanks Chopmgw,
Just preparing to start the second stage. Feeling a bit more confident after the first go.
When you look at the pads,polish and machine I got for $300 the Concours kit was fantastic value.
Hope your Dad's happy with the products,Ash
Cheers,Bob

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2012, 07:54:36 am »
Thanks, Bob. As usual when at my parents place, I look forward to testing them out myself  :lol:

I considered getting one of the buffing kits with some pads and polishes. Dad has a deep green MGF as well that could benefit from some quality products. But considering he has a brand new one of these still unused in his shed cupboard, I didn't think he would go that far into it.

http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW849-XE/

I look forward to testing that one out too!  :lol:

Have you washed your polishing pads, Bob, after your first stage? Were they easy to clean?

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:26 am »
Hey Ash,
Yes the pads cleaned up no problems.
I ordered some extra pads and Chemical Guys sent me a spray on XMT polishing pad cleaner for free as well.
Bob

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:11 am »
Thanks Bob, that's good to know. Be interesting to see how the pad cleaner works too  :thumb:

Offline Brumby1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:13 pm »
Hi jusTANG

Left Colorado now in Kentucky.  Expected delivery date 21/12.  Kids might be able to give it to you for Christmas.

Jack

What can I say that hasn't been said

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
Hey Ash,
Yes the pads cleaned up no problems.
I ordered some extra pads and Chemical Guys sent me a spray on XMT polishing pad cleaner for free as well.
Bob

good work Chem Guys  :thumb: Good to see they support more then the flat discount they offered us  :cheers:

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
Hi jusTANG

Left Colorado now in Kentucky.  Expected delivery date 21/12.  Kids might be able to give it to you for Christmas.

Jack

thanks for the update Jack

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2012, 08:07:21 pm »
Hi Guys.

I received my Concours 900 kit this week from Waxit. As previously mentioned, I went for the Scholl Concepts polishes which came highly recommended from Antonio: http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=771&category_id=87&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I started off using the white Lake Country pad with S3 Gold cutting compound. I used this in a few select areas to remove the deeper scratches. The coarse compound wasn't too aggressive when used with the white pad. Once the obvious scratches were gone, I fitted the black pad & polished the whole car with S17+. This took care of the very fine scratches/swirls/haze. Next step, red finessing pad with S30+.
Really happy with the rich red swirl/haze free finish. Previously, I relied on fillers to hide the milky haze. I probably should mention that I didn't spend anywhere near the time that Rocket would. I have a back injury that I'd rather not aggrevate.
Next step was to seal with Jetseal 109. This time, I used the machine to apply which was quick as & used a fraction of product compared to last time. Left overnight & buffed off with a microfibre. Much harder to remove this time which makes me wonder if it's because the paint had been freshly cut & free of waxes? All I can say is that the super thin coat of Jetseal worked a treat. Super smooth/slippery finish & deep shine. I drove it in heavy rain & once it dried off (while driving), there were no water marks! I've now applied a second coat as recommended & will wipe off tomorrow.
Next up, Autoglym HD WAX but wondering if anybody has any experience with the Scholl W6+ that came with my kit. Rocket, have you seen this stuff?

Evan.

This photo was taken before the Jetseal 109 was applied. Much shinier now!

unsealed by evvvvan, on Flickr

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:13:04 pm by evan »

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
looks great evan, shine is really deep

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2012, 08:04:18 am »
Wow Cyclone Evan is a mild storm compared to you Evan - fast work.
The car looks great - can't wait to see it after the Jetseal.
I've just finished the Third stage and will do the Jetseal next.
The marks on my mudguard are scratches but I haven't been able to find any 2000 grit Wet n Dry sandpaper - finest grade I've found is 1200.
Bob

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #362 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:19 am »
Bob, I live in a small country town and get the shits when out of town when I do get a chance to look for what I need to only waste all my time looking for basic stuff like this. I've had it happen in the past where you look where you think you would find it, but you can't. These days I just check out ebay first. Usually I find what I need and can avoid a large waste of time.

I found a few options but this one looked pretty good for 20 sheets. You'll probably pay a couple of bucks per sheet somewhere anyway.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SandPaper-Waterproff-2000-Grit-Pack-of-20-Sheets-Abrasive-Paper-/251198485302?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3a7c98b336

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #363 on: December 17, 2012, 09:11:15 am »
Thanks Ash - I wouldn't have thought about e-Bay. Good find. And yes, I have spent a lot of time looking already.
Cheers,
Bob
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:16:05 am by BLU302 »

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #364 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »
Evan, Your car looks fantastic - as usual - only better.

I have no idea why the Jetseal was harder to wipe off this time. Maybe with the Wax all gone and using the machine to apply the Jetseal it penetrated deeper into the surface of the paint. I have not seen any reports on the Scholl W6+, but there are some happy users of the Scholl Polishes around the Detailing Forums. Have some myself to try out. Might do so over the Xmas break.

Bob, Automotive Paint supply shops should have the finer grades of Wet or Dry. I would not be using anything coarser than 2000 grit or you could strike through the clear. Can agree with Ash - sometimes Ebay is easier, but then again - sometimes not. Bought a CCTV System last week which arrived today. Looks more like a toy set. :grin:

Photos are good fellows.

Ash, Did you get the Territory going? What was wrong with it? You have me worried now because my missus wants us to take the Territory down the South East over Xmas. I prefer the low flying Caprice but she hates the sports suspension :ouch:

My son Jeremy has the new Territory Turbo Diesel and he absolutely loves it.

Rocket. 
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #365 on: December 17, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

Ash, Did you get the Territory going? What was wrong with it? You have me worried now because my missus wants us to take the Territory down the South East over Xmas. I prefer the low flying Caprice but she hates the sports suspension :ouch:

My son Jeremy has the new Territory Turbo Diesel and he absolutely loves it.

Rocket.

Kind of. What was happening was the Smartshield light was coming on as I was driving, at any time, no consistancy at all. It was shutting the engine down and all gauges dropping to zero. Been a hard one to track down and no-one at Ford knows what it is. I found little info on what as going on and tried each of what I found. I tried a new battery, no go. Different alternator, no go. Different throttle body to swap out the TPS, no go. Different ignition key, no go. The guys at Ford put it on the computer, came up with nothing.

The only thing really left was a dodgy PCM or BEM. Pulled the PCM to check all the pins were ok, they were. Cleaned them up and put it back together, no go. I tried to wriggle all the wires around the engine bay but couldn't get it to do it in a stationary position. Bit hard to do that while driving so I moved onto the wires in the cabin. Pulled most of the trim off to expose the BEM, steering column and fuse panel. I started doing laps of my block just wriggling everything to see when and what was going on. It would keep doing it under acceleration, deceleration, turning and hitting bumps. So pretty much at any damn time!  :ouch: I clocked up 30k's just going round and round. Finally I moved the wiring that goes into the accelerator pedal to the right, it stopped, moved it left, it did it, moved it right it stopped. Went home pulled the plug to check the pics, they were fine. Put it back together, hasn't done it again. I clocked up another 15k's trying to get it to do it again, nothing. Fingers crossed!

Went to pick the kids up from school in it, got to the corner, brake pedal goes to the floor. Thought shit! Went a bit further, still nothing. Pulled over, brake fluid everywhere all over the rear right wheel. It's blown out somewhere in a big way! Parked it, got in my F-truck and left the censored Aing thing at home, had enough of it today!  :ouch:

It has been a fantastic car, and boy it has seen some use. Maybe it's just a bit long in the tooth now. Can;t afford to replace it though so I need to keep at it. Cars hey!  :shrug:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #366 on: December 17, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »
Oh Boy, You have had a time of it. Sounds like it was a bad connection. Hopefully you have fixed it. That sure was some extreme troubleshooting, but well worth your time. :thumb:

Brings back nightmares from a few years back with an EL Falcon that was very temperamental. Had a mind of its own and started only when it felt like it - which was not often! Finally traced back to a faulty body control module. Fitted a new one, followed the programming procedure and problem solved.

Sounds like your Territory has now blown out a rear wheel cylinder. At least brakes are relatively easy to diagnose and fix. May you have many trouble free Klm in it after you fix the brakes.

Rocket.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:14 pm »
Yeah cheers, Rocket. I'll get it sorted, just more time needed unfortunately. Can't complain too much, like I said, it has been a great car. Cars will be cars. It's just that electrical gremlins can be frustrating, especially when no one at all has any ideas where to start.

Ah the good old BEM in EF/EL's. AU's were a little the same. A good tap with your left hand under the dash beside your knee often got them going.

I have a complete rear Territory diff here, cradle and the lot. Will swap over the callipers off it tomorrow after I pull the car down to see what it is. Am sure that's all it'll be like you said. I'll do both sides and also swap out the M/C and fresh fluid right through. Should keep her running for a while longer. They are a good car. If I were to sell it, I would be 99% certain another Territory would replace it.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
I have no idea why the Jetseal was harder to wipe off this time. Maybe with the Wax all gone and using the machine to apply the Jetseal it penetrated deeper into the surface of the paint.
I wiped off the second coat this morning & it was too easy. I'm now convinced that it needs spotless paint to bond to. I wonder if the second coat is completely unnecessary?

Bob, good luck with the scratches. I can't believe you guys are having so much trouble finding wet & dry. Ring up any automotive paint supplier & ask them to pop a couple of sheets in a large envelope. Someone's bound to be willing to help.

Evan.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »
Some photos from the weekend.
Stages 2 and 3 now complete - a bit shinier but there is now more depth to the paint. I'm looking forward to using the Jetseal.
Rocket and Evan - is it best to leave the Jetseal a short time - 1 to 2 hours or overnight?
When you buff off the Jetseal just use a microfibre? Or detailer as well ?
I've ordered the 2000 grit sandpaper so I'll use the to correct the couple of marks before the Sealant.(also polish those spots again).
Nearly there.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:56:16 am by BLU302 »

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
Sounds like your Territory has now blown out a rear wheel cylinder. At least brakes are relatively easy to diagnose and fix. May you have many trouble free Klm in it after you fix the brakes.

Rocket.

Hi Rocket, ended up being a split brake line. Now I have to drive 200km's round trip to go get one made. Can't get one from Ford, out of Melbourne only. The fronts did the same thing apparently and were covered under a recall. The rears were not.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »
Bob, Your car is looking sensational. Great Job! :thumb:

I think the heat will determine how long to leave Jetseal on your car. If it is over say 30 degrees i would only leave it on for an hour. 20 - 30 degrees maybe 2 hours. If it is cooler than 20 degrees maybe four hours maximum. It can be a real bugger to wipe off the excess if it dries out too much.
Use the Microfibre on its own for wiping off the Jetseal at first if it wipes off easily, but if any patches remain, just spray a bit of quick detailer on the area to help wipe it off. Remember you do not want to wipe the panels too hard with the Microfibre for risk of reintroducing marks in the paint.

In answer to Evan`s question regarding whether to apply 2 coats of Jetseal - I apply 3 coats. I worry that with one  it is possible to miss some areas, so at least 2 in my opinion to assure good coverage.

Ash, It may pay you to replace both rear brake lines at the same time. Better check mine out too.
Don`t know what i was thinking by suggesting you might have blown a rear wheel cylinder. :grin: I think probably since the EA came out Ford have used Disc Brake Rears.
200Klm round trip to get the new brake lines made up ... bugger! Maybe you could take the family and do some Xmas shopping.

Rocket.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:56 pm »
Hey Ash,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Territory. We drove one on the Great Ocean Road a couple of years ago and thought it was a great car.
Thanks again for your e-bay idea - the sandpaper is on its way - hope to clean up those marks this week-end then finish my polishing/sealing/waxing. We're the most westerly suburb of Brisbane but I feel like sometimes we are an isolated country town too(we don't even have buses)
Rocket -I'm finishing off the sealant ( 3 coats ) with a Chemical Guys special blend wax called 50/50 - have you heard of it ?
Cheers,
Bob

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »
200Klm round trip to get the new brake lines made up ... bugger! Maybe you could take the family and do some Xmas shopping.

Rocket.

What was I saying before about driving around wasting time looking for stuff?  :ouch: :ouch:

I made several phone calls this morning to Ford and some brake supplies places. No Ford dealership in Newcastle or the Hunter had a replacement so gave up on them. Got onto a brake place, a larger one, that said "no probs, bring a sample and we can make you one when you arrive. It'll take about an hour". Sorted out to catch up with mate while I was down there and also a couple of other jobs while I was in Newcastle. 2 hours drive to get there due to shitty traffic, I rock up and show them the sample, straight up they tell me "oooh, don't know if we'll have one of them". I asked "don't you make them here?" They said, "oh no, we don't have the ability or licensing to do so". What the censored Aing censored A!  :ouch: They said they send them out and have them done. I kept a straight face as I really wanted some help but man I was pissed. They looked into what they had but didn't even have the same ends, not even close.

Left there and went to a nearby Ford wreckers. They had one but wouldn't sell it to me due to "safety reasons".
Went past a Pirtek, pulled in, they don't do brake lines. Clutch lines, no worries, but not brakes lines.
Left there to try and get some supplies for a job that my client wants done by Christmas, I found that out today, missed them by 3 minutes.  :cry:

All that done, didn't accomplish a thing. Went and got some Corona's and caught up with my mate. Forgot about all that crap and had a laugh instead.

Ebay can't help me on this one. So tomorrow I'll be on the phone to somewhere to post me one. Just means the missus and the kids will be without an air-conditioned car until possibly next week.  Awesome!!   :tissue:

The extra kicker, I had one of these a few weeks ago on a Territory wreck I had. I left them on the shell thinking why would I ever need them?  :ouch:

As for Chrissy shopping, I think the kids should be pretty stoked with their present this year. It was a little rough around the edges and had seen some use but I think I dressed it up pretty well. I have to say with all this polishing and detailing talk, I went a little over the top cleaning this considering it is a dirt bike and will get dirty first ride out. I had it stripped back to nothing and tidied it right up. I really enjoyed it. Also whilst being sneaky and hiding it from the kids. :lol:

Just waiting now on my Chemguys order to turn up for Dad and am pretty much sorted for Chrissy presents. :thumb:

Hey Ash,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Territory. We drove one on the Great Ocean Road a couple of years ago and thought it was a great car.
Thanks again for your e-bay idea - the sandpaper is on its way - hope to clean up those marks this week-end then finish my polishing/sealing/waxing. We're the most westerly suburb of Brisbane but I feel like sometimes we are an isolated country town too(we don't even have buses)
Rocket -I'm finishing off the sealant ( 3 coats ) with a Chemical Guys special blend wax called 50/50 - have you heard of it ?
Cheers,
Bob

We don't have buses either, Bob. There are school buses but that is all. There are about 2000 people that live here. Not a great deal at all. But I have lived in much more isolated places when I was growing up.

Ebay pretty much supports us. The post lady is here most days and it also pays the bills. Like Rocket said, it has its down sides but most of the time it beats going to a large town and also at getting a bargain. Just need to watch it like a hawk.

Looking forward to seeing how you go with the scratches on your paint. Do you have any photos of them? It's amazing watching what people can accomplish at home with some expert info and guidance. It gives the rest of us a lot of confidence and knowledge when it comes to tackling it ourselves.

Offline Nobby76

• Stallion
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »
It was a little rough around the edges and had seen some use but I think I dressed it up pretty well. I have to say with all this polishing and detailing talk, I went a little over the top cleaning this considering it is a dirt bike and will get dirty first ride out.

Nice work.

Reminds me of when I first got onto a detailing forum and there was a thread about all the random stuff they could detail, Xboxes, household items etc.  It got me so motivated I tried my Golf Driver, unsure if it helped generate any extra speed, but it sure did look good!! lol