CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 386917 times)

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »
Gee Bob that gives me hope, I haven't done mine yet and my paint looks like crap compared to yours.
Are you sure your not mistaking mine for someone else?  Mines the 69 Sportsroof with the Procar seats you saw at Shell Nudgee on the All Ford Day.

Vic.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »
Sorry Vic - now I know your car. Adam (my son) has now ordered Pro-car seats after seeing yours that day. He's just got his 347 Stroker back from his engine builder.
Have you used your machine polisher yet?
Cheers,
Bob

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:40 am »
Bob, No I haven't had a chance, I am off for a couple of weeks over Xmas so I hope to get a chance then.
I love those seats, they are 100% on the standard seats especially after a couple of hours in them, and they look old school so they suit the car.
Vic.

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2012, 12:26:31 am »
Hi Rocket,Vic,
I've ordered the Concours Machine and kit from Waxit. it hasn't arrived yet but when I get a chance to use it I'll give some feedback. I ordered the Menzerna kit with Lake Country pads and also the Clay kit and Citrus wash from Chemical Guys - see I have been absorbing all this info.
Really looking forward to having a go - may try it on the Wife's Cooper S first - although it has sensational paint already.
Just looking at the Menzerna polishes included I'm not sure if the first stage included might have too much cut - I think it's P1000 - my paintwork is in pretty good condition. Any comment Rocket?
Cheers,
Bob

Hi Blu302, Just back from a lightening trip down the South East... Had no Internet ... Bugger!

Interested to see your thoughts on the concours Polisher. It has 880watts - so should have lots of grunt :thumb:

I would be a bit careful with the PF 1000 - That is a lot of cutting action. Which Polishes are included in the kit?

For a 3 stage polish my first stage would normally be 2400 or 2500, followed by 4000, then the 4500 refining polish to finish off.

Before you start with the polish - wash, then clay the car. Then put it out in the sun or under halogen lights and look from all angles to see any swirls, marring or holograms. The first stage of the polishing job is to eliminate the above. 2400 or 2500 - depending on which is supplied, on an Orange Pad should be the first stage.

Don`t forget some before and after pics if you can.

Rocket.   
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »
Hi Rocket,
The kit contains 4x 6.5" pads - orange,white,grey and blue and the Menzerna products are PG1000 , PF2500 , UF5000 and SWProtect (sealant).
I'd appreciate your advice on whether I should wait and get another grade of Menzerna as well or whether a 2 stage treatment with the PF2500 and UF5000 would suffice. How many pads do I need - more than one of each? I won't start until I'm happy that I have everything I need to get the best result and after reading your posts I appreciate that the first stage is important.
Have you used the Menzerna sealant - I have ordered the Jetseal 109 as well.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2012, 08:39:07 pm »
Blu302, First stage suggestion is Orange Pad with PF2500. Second stage White Pad with Final Finish SF4000, Third stage Grey Pad with the UF5000.
So yes... In my opinion you really should use SF4000 - it really adds to the Gloss.

Use the Blue Pad for applying and spreading Sealant.  I would use the Jetseal109 Sealant, but have seen good reports on the Menzerna SW Protect. I have a similar product called Sealing Wax - but have not used it much.

There is no need to do the job in one day, which means for the first stage you could do say the roof, bonnet and boot with the Pads mentioned, then wash them overnight and do the 2 sides the following day. Make sure to complete each stage on the whole car before going onto the next stage.

You can clean the Pads - to a degree - on the move after doing a couple of panels. Simply scrunch up a bit of Microfibre with a finger inside the middle of the cloth, turn on the polisher at a low speed and carefully put the cloth to the centre of the pad, and as the pad spins, just work towards the outside of the pad. Will do a search for a youtube video where i have seen it demonstrated.

Now to the question of Pads. I consider that paying over $20 for each Pad to be over the top. It seems the Autogaky option of buying in bulk may be a thing of the past due to the USA looking after the local distributor. On the other hand if you have somebody in the USA who could forward them onto you it may still be an option.

I have been searching the net and have come up with what MAY be another option. There is a Diamond faced Pad produced in China that can be bought at a reasonable price. Check this Link out - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Stores-Promotion-New-5PC-6-Diamond-Face-Foam-Buffing-pad-and-Polishing-Pad-set-for/609033424.html
5 Pads for $37.99 is cheap! ZFE Stores ( where w bought the polishing kits ) have the same 5 Pads listed - but including a backing plate for $56.99.

I contacted the supplier via the above Link requesting a Quote for 6 sets of the $37.99 Pads including express freight such as DHL or UPS. Their reply was to ask for my email address to discuss it further. No effing way i would do that because all dealings through Aliexpress should be via the Aliexpress messaging system to avoid being scammed by unscrupuolous traders. I will now order just one set at $37.99 with free shipping via China Post. This way it is all done the correct way which means the supplier does not receive the funds until i receive the Pads. :thumb:

Yet another option for the same pads is to buy them locally at this Link -
http://www.polish-up.com.au/products/150mm-foam-pad-buffing-kit-velcro-backed.html
Still excellent value at 5 Pads for $47.52, but shipping to Adelaide was $27.55, and there was another amount - unspecified - of $11.00
I am a bit of a tightass, so will go with the cheaper option.

I really feel you should have 2 Pads of each colour as a minimum, because if the Velcro should fail or one Pad becomes too dirty to continue Polishing, you would avoid the delay.

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »
Cleaning your polishing Pads on the go -

Pad cleaning "On the Fly" w/ Flex 3401

Rocket.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »
Thanks Rocket,
Your advice is really appreciated.
Chemical Guys have Lake Country pads at $15.95 at the moment -I don't know if we get the 10per cent discount off that as well.
I won't start until I get everything together - still haven't got the Concours machine yet - but I will get lots of photos. Went on a cruise today so the car's pretty grubby - a good starting point.
Thanks again,
Bob

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
Hi Bob, How long have you been waiting for your Polishing Kit? I ordered my Menzerna polish from Waxit and it arrived in 4 days

Vic.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

Chemical Guys have Lake Country pads at $15.95 at the moment -I don't know if we get the 10per cent discount off that as well.

Bob

yes Bob as long as you use the code you will get 10% off store wide  :thumb:

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »
Hi Bob, How long have you been waiting for your Polishing Kit? I ordered my Menzerna polish from Waxit and it arrived in 4 days

Vic.

both guys ship very fast if not the day order placed the next  :evilone: so not much wait time to get into it

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2012, 07:59:57 am »
I ordered last Tuesday but I'm in a semi-rural area and deliveries around here always seem to take an extra day or two.I'm pretty sure the Postie takes Fridays off some weeks
Too hot to work at the moment - we expect 41 degrees tomorrow.
Thanks Justang - that makes the pads quite reasonable.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »
With those sort of temperatures a place in the shade with an esky full of coldies would do just nicely. :thumb: :cheers:

Rocket.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »
Just got home - 2 boxes waiting - one from Waxit and one from Chemical Guys.
My wife thinks I'm nuts.
The Concours machine is a solid bit of kit - looks pretty robust.
I'll order the other Menzerna polish tonight and might even be ready to start next weekend if it cools down.
The alternative is to have a few beers and plan some more.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:04 pm »
good to hear folks getting to use discounts  :thumb:

and the stock actually turns up  :grin:

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »
Thanks Justang - the discounts certainly help .
Rocket - I've just been reading the User Manual that came with the Concours machine (something I usually don't do)  It says to Start the machine in contact with the work surface - is that what you recommend?
The Concours machine doesn't need lubrication for the life of the machine under normal operating conditions.
Bob
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:34:54 pm by BLU302 »

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2012, 02:19:43 am »
Hi Bob, Yes... I do start the machine in contact with the paint surface using speed no.1 to spread the polish. If you start the machine without it being in contact with the paint you would sling polish everywhere.

Have a look at this Youtube Video -

How to use a DA and rotary buffer - properly!

There are a few things to consider. In the above Video, he talks of using pressure when buffing, but be careful - it does not take a lot of pressure to dent a body panel, particularly in the middle of a roof area or on the bonnet of a car. You will soon get the feel of how much pressure can be applied, but we are talking of only very moderate pressure, not enough to distort the panel. This really only applies to the first "Correctional " stage of the polishing, most of the time you use little to no pressure - let the machine, pad and polish do the work.

Polish an area of approximately 400mm x 400mm at a time. You might cut up a bit of light cardboard to use as a rough guide when you first start.

Here is my process - Fit the required pad to the polisher, give the pad just one spritz with quick detailer, put 4 pea sized dobs of polish on the pad, then dab it quickly on the area to be polished. Place the pad onto the paint surface ensuring the polisher is on speed no.1, start the polisher and then spread the polish evenly over the area - takes about 10 seconds to do this, then crank the polisher up to speed 3 or 4 only and work the polish for about 4 minutes. Keep a clock that has a seconds hand on it within sight and time yourself till you get used to the process.

After polishing for about 4 minutes as the polish breaks down you will see the polish take on a a milky clear appearance and begin to see your reflection start to appear. That is when to stop and wipe the panel clean with a microfibre cloth and admire your work. If you have worked the polish well enough, there will be very little polish to wipe off.
The exception to the above is if the polish begins to dust up due to polishing in high temperatures - say over 30 degrees - stop when you see this happen. The polish has gone dry and will no longer work.

Don`t be too pedantic about lifting the polisher off the surface if you need to - after spreading the polish, sometimes you will lift it off momentarily going around obstacles.

Polish the roof, bonnet, boot first before doing the sides of the car.

Rocket.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
Thanks Rocket - I've ordered the extra Menzerna and some more Lake Country pads ( $14.40 each from Chemical Guys) so should be all good to go this weekend.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »
Thanks Rocket - I've ordered the extra Menzerna and some more Lake Country pads ( $14.40 each from Chemical Guys) so should be all good to go this weekend.
Cheers,
Bob

Ahhh....Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Lake Country Pads for $14.40 each is good value in this country. I am a cheapskate - so ordered the Diamond Faced Pads from China. Will let everybody know if they are any good in a couple of weeks.

I am just limbering up waiting for Jack`s 1970 Mach to appear in my polishing area. Will start a 2 stage polish on it today. Photos later.

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Re: CAR POLISH - Jack`s Mach
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »
Jack`s 1970 Mach1 rolled out of the paint shop today - A complete car once again -

Jack drove it straight into the polishing area to receive a Menzerna Polish and Detail. One thing i noticed while it was outside were Holograms in the freshly Compounded paint. Luke had only gone over the car with a one stage compounding because he knew the car would receive the Menzerna Polish job -

Jack drove the car inside and the first thing we did was get the Quick Detailer and Microfibre Cloths out to clean the excess compound off the paint before we could start polishing

Loaded an Orange pad onto the Flex Rotary, spritzed the Pad with Quick Detailer, applied 4 pea sized dobs of Menzerna PF2400 on the Pad. Dabbed the polish onto the paint and started the polisher on speed no.1 to spread the polish, cranked her up and away we went polishing the roof. Started off ok but the bloody polisher had a mind of its own. Shyte! Thought i had this Rotary Polisher worked out.... Apparently not! By the time i had polished half the roof i had visions of very sore shoulders and back muscles for the next couple of days and decided eff it!
So out with the Flex Forced Rotation Orbital. What a difference! Instead of fighting each other, with this machine we were quickly into it moving as one as the Flex glided smoothly over the paintwork in the direction required.... This Flex is a superb polishing machine!  Justang... Get the Flex!!!!!!!!

Took about an hour to polish both sides of the roof and the tops of both rear quarters -

The boot was polished in quick time as well as the quarter panel extensions, then onto the bonnet and tops of the front guards.

By the time i got to the bonnet, determination took hold so i broke out the Rotary again. Gave it a good spritz to help lube the pad, had a few stern words with it and away we went. Tried a slightly different technique of putting a bit of bias toward the front of the rotary and it behaved a lot better this time. Had the bonnet polished so quickly that i had enough time to go over it again with the Flex Forced Rotation machine. -

In the morning we should have time to do both sides, then put the car out in the sun to make sure all the holograms are gone. At lunchtime the car is going for a wheel alignment. When it returns it will be onto stage 2 of the polish job.

More photos -
http://photobucket.com/jacksmach1s

Rocket.

Offline BLU302

• Worked
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »
Goddam Rocket - if I get a result anything like that I'll be happy.
My paint is probably about 3-4 years old and in good nick but I'm hoping to take it to the next stage - really looking forward to having a go.
I remember an early post of yours where you thought there wouldn't be too many interested in this topic - have a look at the posts and views.
Cheers
Bob

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
Bob, I am sure you are going to make that paint really pop! :thumb:

After 3-4 years the paint has probably lost a bit of gloss and may have some swirl marks or marring. Polishing paint of that age is always a pleasure when you see that Menzerna shine look even better than the day your painter handed the car back to you - especially on deeper coloured cars like yours.

It sure is good to see so much interest in polishing cars on this thread. Last year while driving along the freeway late one sunny afternoon i passed a lot of classic cars that were returning from a show somewhere - all different makes. What stood out to me were probably half of those cars had terrible swirl marks in the paint. The owners probably did not know how to eliminate the swirls. Reminded me of a good friend who owns a BA XR6. Nice car and well maintained, but boy did that car have some swirl marks in it. He saw me polishing a car and we spoke about the swirl marks. He then pointed at his car and said "i thought they were meant to be there". He was serious! He came around the next day and polished the car. Looks real good now.

Have fun this weekend. I see the QLD weather has moderated. Brisbane will be 28 - 29 degrees this weekend. :smile:

Rocket.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2012, 01:38:17 pm »
Roger Doger :evilone: I hear you loud and clear......ordered , now wait  :toetapping:

I will practise on a couple of daily drives then tackle some mustangs. Being this close to Xmas.  Flex will make a great pressent from the kids

Offline Sally

• Worked
  • Name: Chris, Sally
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
as always Rod Image Classic Cars have done a top class job on Jacks car, I am sure he will be one very happy man when he finally gets the car on the road
well done guys, superb job
Sally

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:29 pm »
Being this close to Xmas.  Flex will make a great pressent from the kids

At least i am not Robinson Crusoe.
My daughter confiscated mine so she could give it to me for christmas.
No mention of picking up the tab for it though!
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|