CAR POLISH

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CAR POLISH  (Read 385005 times)

Offline 6R07K

• Stallion
Re: CAR POLISH
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »
Evan that is a sensational finish.

Think I'll have to hit mine with another coat of jetseal and leave it a few hours this time and follow up with a wax.
Cheers

Ben
Lifes short, play hard.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
Rocket, or anyone else for that matter, does anyone use a 3 inch buffer at all? I love this detailed tech talk and follow a lot on another painting forum. Recently they were discussing the use of 3 inch buffers, I was interested in what the Aussie guys thought and used? It makes a lot of sense to me as I use a wide range of discs sizes when I am woodworking. After so much great discussion on buffers in this thread, I thought delving further would be great.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
Hi Ash, For most polishing applications i use 6.5"Pads which fit nicely on the standard Flex Polisher ( 5")125mm Backing Plate.

There are a variety of different sizes available for backing plates, so normally you would use the same machine and just change backing plates to the size required for the job at hand.
A 3" Backing Plate would use 4"Pads. These are used in tight areas such as around mirrors, lights, back panels, curved panels etc.

Here is a Link to different sizes of Pads -
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pads.html

And a selection of backing plates -
http://www.autogeek.net/lc43175.html

I believe even Flex now have a Backing Plate system where you can have a choice of Backing Plate sizes.

I miss my Flex :tissue: Suggested to the missus today that a new Flex would make a nice Christmas present. That went down like a lead balloon :kickass:
Think my bankcard is about to take a bit of a hiding... again. Bugger!

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
Evan that is a sensational finish.

Think I'll have to hit mine with another coat of jetseal and leave it a few hours this time and follow up with a wax.
Thanks Ben (& Rocket).

I have no doubt that Jetseal is a fantastic product but I should mention that my car already had an amazing shine. After Rocket mentioned that it would add some durability, I figured it's worth doing. The more reviews I read on the product, the more I'm glad I used it.

Evan

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »
Thanks, Rocket. Appreciate that and also for the links :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline UPCD

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2012, 08:24:26 am »
Hey Guys,

This is a fantastic thread and looking at Rockets work is just amazing. Such attention to detail and Fantastic results.

I thought you guys might like to see the below video. Its not a Mustang but the process involved is the same for every car hope you enjoy.

So my buddy over in the US has detailed one of the rarest Ferrari's around. The car is worth $1,000,000 and was in some serious need of restoration.

Preventing your car from getting to this condition is always important as Larry talks about in his video sometimes you just cant tell how much paint is left on a car.

It's a long video but super cool and well worth a look hope you guys enjoy.

$1,000,000 Ferrari Restoration Detail

Cheers

Matt

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:12 am »
Ev's car has the best finish I can recall seeing on any I've seen in 8 years of owning my Pony. I might add he did a lot of tedious prepping and had it painted by someone who knows what they are doing , but he really has a superb shine on that lil Pony. :drool:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:14 am »
How many cars would u say u would get out of the 470ml bottle of jet seal someone that has used it?

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:39 pm »
Ev's car has the best finish I can recall seeing on any I've seen in 8 years of owning my Pony. I might add he did a lot of tedious prepping and had it painted by someone who knows what they are doing , but he really has a superb shine on that lil Pony. :drool:

Hi Johnno, Yes - It sure has an incredible shine. Great preparation can make a huge difference. :thumb:

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »
How many cars would u say u would get out of the 470ml bottle of jet seal someone that has used it?

If you use thin coats - normally 3 coats per car - i think you would have enough for about 5-6 cars out of a 470ml bottle.

Just had a parcel arrive at work. Quite heavy and has Chinese writing on it. Could be the polishing machines. Short staffed and busy. Bugger! Will try to find time to open it later.

Rocket.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »
Hey Rocket.

Just read thru this thread a little late ... are all the polishers taken ?

Thanks,
Frank.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:37 pm »
Hi Frank, Sorry - but yes - they are all taken from this order.

However, all is not lost. You can order from this Link -
 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-710W-Dual-Action-Machine-Car-Polisher-Buffer-Sander/465867090.html

Aliexpress is quite safe to use. They hold the funds back from the supplier until you advise that you have received the goods.

I have just opened the package from China and can tell you  i am quite impressed so far. Well packaged, plenty of pads and even a free gift. Started a polisher and it seems good. Will do a test tomorrow.
Only criticism right now is the pads are too small. They fit on the backing plate - but no overlap. Will post photos and explain later.

Rocket.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:25 pm »
No probs Rocket.

I was a little spoilt when I painted my Muzzy in that a friend let me borrow his Festool polisher and that was awesome. but I dont like to stretch the friendship especially when I used up prob a bottle of his Mazerna polish and a pad or two and he insisted on not taking any $ or replacements.

What about an air DA sander ? i happen to have one of those and recently upgraded my compressor so it will drive it for a while.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »
Just sent you a PM mate. Thanks

Hi Frank, Sorry - but yes - they are all taken from this order.

However, all is not lost. You can order from this Link -
 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-710W-Dual-Action-Machine-Car-Polisher-Buffer-Sander/465867090.html

Aliexpress is quite safe to use. They hold the funds back from the supplier until you advise that you have received the goods.

I have just opened the package from China and can tell you  i am quite impressed so far. Well packaged, plenty of pads and even a free gift. Started a polisher and it seems good. Will do a test tomorrow.

Only criticism right now is the pads are too small. They fit on the backing plate - but no overlap. Will post photos and explain later.

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:48 pm »
Hi 69candy, Message received and replied to. :thumb:

Rocket.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #190 on: November 14, 2012, 06:15:58 pm »
C'mon Johnno, you're making my car blush  :grin:
As you can imagine, I'm pretty stoked with the finish. The hard part now is keeping it clean.
I now need to invest in a good wash that doesn't strip the wax & Jetseal. I've been using plain water but the guy who supplied the Jetseal reckons that isn't such a great idea. I can't for the life of me remember the products he recommended. That might be another Rocket question to add to the list!!  :grin:

Evan.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »
No probs Rocket.

I was a little spoilt when I painted my Muzzy in that a friend let me borrow his Festool polisher and that was awesome. but I dont like to stretch the friendship especially when I used up prob a bottle of his Mazerna polish and a pad or two and he insisted on not taking any $ or replacements.

What about an air DA sander ? i happen to have one of those and recently upgraded my compressor so it will drive it for a while.

Cheers,
Frank.

Frank, I am not sure the DA air sander can do the job. Would be worried that RPM may not be consistent, which could result in patchy polishing. Have never used one for polishing, but have done lots of paint removal with that type of machine. Found the 15cfm compressor could not keep up so was always waiting for more air to build up.

Evan, I would suggest ChemGuys Citrus Wash and Gloss. But only a small amount is required. I only use one capful to a bucket of water. It is highly concentrated.

Rocket.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »
Frank, let Rocket test out this  bit of kit from China and if Rocket say's its the goods we can get another group bye going. I am happy to be the middleman if Rocket too busy.

Lets see how it goes first  :thumb:

over to you Rocket   :evilone:

and remember  :coolpic:

:cheers:

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:30 pm »
Evan, I would suggest ChemGuys Citrus Wash and Gloss. But only a small amount is required. I only use one capful to a bucket of water. It is highly concentrated.

Rocket.
Thanks mate, just placed my order. While I was at, I also ordered a bottle of 'PAINT CORRECTION 1 No.778'. I figured I might need this down the track for any light scratching. Between that & the Autoglym Super Resin, I should have the polishing covered. I also ordered a bottle of 'Slick Synthetic-Acrylic Polymer Detailer' to try.
You'd better get onto this Rex guy & ask for your cut!  :grin:

Evan.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:10 pm »
Thanks mate, just placed my order. While I was at, I also ordered a bottle of 'PAINT CORRECTION 1 No.778'. I figured I might need this down the track for any light scratching. Between that & the Autoglym Super Resin, I should have the polishing covered. I also ordered a bottle of 'Slick Synthetic-Acrylic Polymer Detailer' to try.
You'd better get onto this Rex guy & ask for your cut!  :grin:

Evan.

Hi Evan, Guess i had better hop onto the ChemGuys website and see what those products are. We use their CG-Speed Wipe Quick Detailer. Good stuff - we go through lots of it.
I have never met Rex, only spoken via the Forums and a couple of Emails. He seems a really decent bloke, and even sent me a very expensive wax to try out just after i did the wax test. I would not try to get a cut myself, but maybe a Forum Discount :thumb:

Rocket.

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Re: We Are Gift!
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »
 :grin:
This is the first thing i saw upon opening the polishing kits from China today

Had time to check it out briefly this arvo - Box was heavy and well packaged -

The contents -

I put the Flex next to the machine to see the size difference in polishers. The Flex is only very slightly heavier.

Speed Dial on rear of Polisher -

On/Off switch at side -

Plugged the machine in and turned it on. Found the switch is quite positive, speed dial works reasonably well and sounds like it has some grunt. About the same noise level as the Flex

Only Criticism at the moment is the size of the pads. The backing plate is 125mm and so are the pads. I like to use a larger pad that overlaps the backing plate. It gives a safety margin. You do not want to hit a mirror with the backing plate whilst buffing away.

This is how i like it - a 6.5"pad gives plenty of side support -

Note the pad is not centered on the backing plate ( i was in a hurry ). The Pad should ALWAYS be centered or it will put the polisher out of balance.

Tomorrow i will do the test to find out how good it is. Jeremy is bringing in the Red Mach1 :thumb:

Rocket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:46:03 pm by rocket »

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:12 pm »
Just placed an order with CG's and Wax It.
Ordered  Menzerna and pads as suggested. Jet seal 109. A replacement clay bar, luber, a drying towel from both places to see how they compared and a few other goodies.

opps, forgot the van polish Rocket  :grin:

while I was looking around I came across these pads Rocket and wondered if you or anyone had tried these out

http://www.chemguys.com.au/category_s/97.htm

Offline rocket

• Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2012, 11:00:40 pm »
That is a pretty big size order.

You will get lots of practice with that lot. :thumb:

Have heard of the HexLogic Pads, supposed to be pretty good. As yet, i have not tried them out because the cupboard already has 72 Lake Country CCS Pads. Figure they should last a few years.

Oh, I am sure your mum is happy for you to gain some experience on the Stang before you tackle the Caravan - That will be a big,big job. There goes your Christmas Holiday! :grin:

Rocket

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »
There goes your Christmas Holiday! :grin:

:toetapping: no seasonal holidays in my industry mate  :cry:

yeah big order all right, CC coped a flogging with some bulk product buys.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
Frank, I am not sure the DA air sander can do the job. Would be worried that RPM may not be consistent, which could result in patchy polishing. Have never used one for polishing, but have done lots of paint removal with that type of machine. Found the 15cfm compressor could not keep up so was always waiting for more air to build up.

OK .. I thought the air DA might not be good ... Otherwise more people would be using them I suppose.

Thanks Rocket.

Frank.