power steering kits?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: power steering kits?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline walbjj

• Worked
power steering kits?
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »
im about to finalise a deal on a mustang. the marti report says it had power steering, but it has since been removed.
i want to know whether it is worthwhile for me to firstly find out what has been removed and reinstall the missing bits, or just buy a complete conversion kit.
im not interested in concours, and its not a "lose sleep" issue for me if it isnt original. i just want it to work as well, or better than the original, because, to me, power steering isnt something u can see.

so, any advice on whats available out there. the car is a 1970 boss 302

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
power steering kits?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »
Find out what is missing 1st,the old power ram set up is not a good one anyway. Look into what it is going to cost both ways ,maybe the later type is the way to go . ps it wont be cheap either way .

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
power steering kits?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:44 pm »
We do the Borgeson setups for around $1500, complete (Pump etc). May be extra for different brackets to suit the Boss motor, will have to check further.
This is an integrated power steering box, like the XA-XG system on Falcons, not the old ram setup like original.

Or, check and see if you still have the power steering under the car, but disconnected? We have rebuild kits for the valve, and new rams, hoses etc etc.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
power steering kits?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »
Or we could supply a Power rack kit, from TCP.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline coops-001

• Thoroughbred
power steering kits?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »
I would want p/s, I think it would be like steering the Titanic without it. Just my 2 Bob's worth...

Offline walbjj

• Worked
power steering kits?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »
it would only be an issue when negotiating parking, otherwise its not that bad

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
power steering kits?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
It is very heavy if you still have the power box fitted, like I do in mine.
Also, if you give it a good wheel alignment, to modern specs, it will be even heavier.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
power steering kits?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:05 am »
You could always throw in a 19.1 ratio box in, much lighter than a 16.1 .

Offline coops-001

• Thoroughbred
power steering kits?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:56:39 am »
BLKPNY, Just out of interest, what specs are factory and what are you suggesting?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
power steering kits?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:59 pm »
They should all have power steer in my opinion. If you want them to drive nice they want heaps of Caster 5 deg+, this makes them heavy hence you need steer. If it's a Boss 302 I'd find the original stuff if it were my car. Anything over +3 deg on manual steer is a chore.

Offline walbjj

• Worked
power steering kits?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »
ive been quoted $3600 for a rack and pinion ps setup. not sure if this is considered good?
im not interested in cutting up the car, but i want to do it right and with the good parts.
any other advice?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
power steering kits?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
 It's the set up that makes them drive well, not the steering box. Landrover could get Range-rovers, which are just a flash truck, to drive better than most 2 wheel drive cars, with a without a rack for years.
 Fitt factory steer on a LHD car, Falcon XF variable ratio box on RHD, then give it it +5 - +8 degs of caster.
Regardless of how you turn the wheels, its what they do that's important. What you need to do is shorten the caster bush spacer tubes by 1/8", this makes the lower arm more stable, give it about 2.5mm toe in, and as much caster you can get without the wheels clipping the front edge of the front fender. To do this you'll need some shim in the front bolt of the top arm, you'll never get it with just the caster bar threads, most wheel alignment blokes won't want to to do it for you, because most of them are clueless, but caster is what makes them steer well, you'll want to replace the front bolt in the top arm with some longer ones to ensure you can get the shims in. Modern cars steer well not because of racks but because of caster. Morris minors steer like crap and they have  rack as do many old pommy cars, Caster is the key. Some racks make Mustangs worse, a Boss should have a hi ratio box so you just need a PS drag link and ram etc to convert it.

So on a road car align it like this
2mm -  2.5mm toe
1/2 negative deg camber
and as much positve caster as you can get. To get big caster you may need 3/8" of shim
This how they used to get old Falcons around Bathurst but with way more camber