Air Freighting larger parts from the USA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Air Freighting larger parts from the USA  (Read 4243 times)

Offline 66pony

• Thoroughbred
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
Hi I was contemplating air freighting some larger/heavier parts from the USA.  Obviously cost is an issue but what customs issues are involved and what are some of the costs.
Thanks for your replies
Stephen

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »
Keep it under a grand and all should be good. If you have more stuff that is over the grand mark, send them separately and not at the same time as they'll catch on.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:03 pm »
As Ash said but make it at least a week apart .... the later delvery might catch up with the early one .. both at customs at the same time .. customs will put them together .. you're screwed again!

Offline 6508k

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:15 am »
Another tip is......address them to two different address`s.....say your neighbours, parents or inlaws ...etc....

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:06:12 am »
Sent tons of stuff, many times multiple boxes from the same vendor, to the same address.  If a differnt invoice, different order, never a problem... even had orders well over the $1k come in with no fess on occasion... but try to stay below the limit.
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:04 am »
Fess up !  You have a contact in immigration don't you!!

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »
 I was told by CJPONY Parts that I lived in the most expensive freight area of any of their customers in the world. The only way I was able to ship economically from there was to load up the container my car was coming in. I studied detailed pictures and ordered the parts to come with my car in the same container. Sometimes you hear of people with a container coming from USA offering to let you load their container with your parts as well. This can be a profitable joint venture. there are also sponsors of the forum who can give you reduced freight as they capitalise on economies of scale and bring it to Australia in bulk. I always check your sponsors cost first and go from there.

Cheers

Paul
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:07:13 pm »
Quote from: mert link=topic=18342.msg182954#msg182954
Sent tons of stuff, many times multiple boxes from the same vendor, to the same address.  If a differnt invoice, different order, never a problem... even had orders well over the $1k come in with no fess on occasion... but try to stay below the limit.

I just hope it is not a case of self assessment when it comes to duty or else in an audit we may come undone at some point?
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.