Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Cooling

(1/4) > >>

64half:
All,
I have a 64half 289 auto.
I have had an overheating problem which I have been working on. When i got the car there was no fan shroud or thermostat.I now have those(160 f) plus a 6 blade flex fan. A bit better!
The problem persisted.
Temp increases in major traffic (Sydney) worse with high ambient of course.So.... I took the radiator out and found the 3 core almost 70% blocked. Engine and heater got a good flush and pump seems ok. A lot better!
 It now runs much cooler but still wants to climb in traffic, though not as bad, and cools quickly with ram air. I am concerned when the 30 c + temps come in summer it will overheat again. So is a thermo fan the answer and is this the norm for the mustang? Any ideas?
Thanks
David

2233:
How accurate is your temp gauge?

Do you run cast iron heads and manifold?

64half:
Echo,
I think the gauge is ok.
Cast heads and alloy manifold (edelbrock).
David

2233:
I was thinking along the lines that cast iron heads hold heat longer than alloy ones.

I guess your only option is to try a thermo fan.

I run a std 4 blade factory fan,no shroud, 3 core radiator, thermostat and on a 40 degree day(god damn its hot with no air con) it still wont make it past 180F or 82.2222 C.

Maybe ummmm...........what condition is your water pump in?

Do you use coolant?

By the way great name ! :f

64half:
Echo,
The pump seems to be ok, unless at idle it doesn't have the flow.I haven't had coolant in there because i've broken into the system  a couple of times. I think i'll check the timing next.
Thanks for your help.
David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version