Number plates

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Number plates  (Read 18119 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Number plates
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 08:04:08 am »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=17032.msg170354#msg170354

This really p!sses me off, we're getting scalped here in NSW.

s

We sure have it easy though compared to some other states in regards to the cars themselves getting through rego.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Number plates
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 08:16:56 am »
Quote from: Ash link=topic=17032.msg170357#msg170357
We sure have it easy though compared to some other states in regards to the cars themselves getting through rego.

Yeah I suppose but ask someone in W.A. what they pay each year for rego.

s

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
Number plates
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:03 am »
Shhhh!  

We should not talk of WA registration costs ... it will make the other states cry and before you know it, we will all be registering the cars in WA.  It's not necessarily God's Country but WA does seem like a nice country at times.

Offline DruDel

• Stallion
Number plates
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 08:08:14 am »
Would anyone know if it's legal to get the front plate duplicated into a smaller version that's made from some sort of plastic?

Cheers
Dru

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Number plates
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:04 am »
Quote from: DruDel link=topic=17032.msg170439#msg170439
Would anyone know if it's legal to get the front plate duplicated into a smaller version that's made from some sort of plastic?

My guess is no.  The plates need to be made of that paint which consists of microscopic spheres that reflect light when shone onto them.

They need to be able to catch us going through red light and speed cameras.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Number plates
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 11:19:14 am »
Quote from: boss69hogg link=topic=17032.msg170314#msg170314
I had the plates re-made and the RTA told me that I now had to pay the annual fee (only $90 so worth it).

Personally I don't think it's worth it and after speaking to MyPlates  I'm choosing not to personalise my plates, I simply won't endorse a company that is exploiting us in such a way.

ABC-123 plates were able to be personalised without a yearly fee and this scourge on society MyPlates approached the RTA with an idea to rip us off.

Shame MyPlates Shame!

If everyone did the same we could put them out of business but unfortunately I doubt many others would take my stance on the matter.

s

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Number plates
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »
I have 001967 on mine,  they're so old there's no annual fee.  I wonder why the standard plate is yellow,  and you have to pay extra for white?  Why dont they just make the standard plate white?  While I'm on my soap box,  why dont we have national plates intead of state plates,  national licences instead of state licences,  and national road rules instead of state road rules?
67 Convertible

Offline Nobby76

• Stallion
Number plates
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »
Because states need to get some revenue form somewhere besides the federal government!! lol

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Number plates
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
Quote from: Nobby76 link=topic=17032.msg170505#msg170505
Because states need to get some revenue form somewhere besides the federal government!! lol

I believe MyPlates is a private organisation, they only give a % to the RTA.  Similar to those scumbag mobile speed camera operators.

s

Offline Mudzy

• Thoroughbred
  • 65-PONE
  • Name: David
Number plates
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:33 am »
These are the plates i have im happy to pay 90 a year for some thing that sets the car off

2 Doors 3 Pedals 4 Speeds =  Muscle car = 1965 A Code  Mustang Coupe

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Number plates
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »
Not wanting to succumb to the rip off that is MyPlates personalised plates I asked them about having different colour random letter number plates.  They tell me to get a plate in a different colour is $220, I was thinking the blue/white ones and they tell me they're coming out with new blue lettering on black and it'll cost $275.  I can understand the costs with a new colour and the 25% increase in price until enough units are sold to make up for the money spent developing it.

So I told them that the car was unregistered and asked if I could get the coloured plate issued with rego so I don't have to pay for a new plate to be made up.

This was the response, in case I change my mind and want personalised in a different colour:

We would advise that you establish registration with a general issue yellow plate for $39

$39 !!!!

So to get a plate in a different colour they charge 564% extra!

These guys are rip off scum!

There's no way they're getting my business.

s

Offline blue67

• Stallion
Number plates
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
Yellow and Black does look very good for the price.....:smile01:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
Number plates
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 10:43:01 pm »
Quote from: DruDel link=topic=17032.msg170439#msg170439

Cheers
Dru

Dru, no its not legal to reproduce a number plate in NSW. The offence is 'plate not issued by RTA'
i remade my ute's premium black on white plates to white on black (rather than pay an exhorbitant fee) out of aluminium, copied the font and plate detail to the millimetre, even used reflective white on refl. black so they lit up from behind. Had them on for 2 years but got busted by a keen eyed cop who had a good hard look when i was parked. He did comment that they were the best he'd seen. non embossed lettering was the give away dammit.
luckily the police were on the go-slow protesting against the state govt so i got a warning and avoided the $350 odd dollar fine.

re plate for front of muzzy, the PO had made a neat bracket for a plate to mount about 15mm off the valance, it looks great and dont have to worry about the plate width, so much so that i hadnt even noticed it prior to this thread.
ive had a win then....
griff

when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
Number plates
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:49 pm »
move to mexico mate one off fee's for plates.......
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Number plates
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:31 am »
Quote from: griff link=topic=17032.msg178969#msg178969

Dru, no its not legal to reproduce a number plate in NSW. The offence is 'plate not issued by RTA'

This would be correct, I also had a friend get pinged in the '90's for having a bubble shaped number plate cover, even certain flat plastic coverings aren't allowed, they have to be approved, not sure how the cops can tell them apart.

s