Importing costs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing costs  (Read 8338 times)

Offline kieran

• L Plates
Importing costs
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:36 pm »
Hey guys, just new to the forums and am after some information on associated costs with importing an early 65-69' mustang from the US.

I have a few mates in the states that could possible pay for and check out / test drive the vehicles ect... on my behalf, which may save some money.

I would really appricate anyone that has gone through the process to either post up some figures or email me(maddern1@bigpond.net.au)

Cheers,

Kieran

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Importing costs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:49 pm »
Hi Kieran.

Approx. 15 months ago I tracked down my car in California. I paid for it & then Steve Lond of Mustangs of Melbourne took over. Steve quoted me $2950 all up to ship the car which included import approval. The only other fee was GST on the purchase price. The whole deal went very smoothly & there were no surprises. I believe the car was shipped from Longbeach so you'd want to buy something close by. Transport costs across U.S. can get pricey.

Go and have a chat with Steve before you commit to anything. He's shipped alot of cars over the years so knows his stuff.

Good luck with your purchase.

Evan.

Offline kieran

• L Plates
Importing costs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:47:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply Evan :(

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to ship over?

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Importing costs
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »
All up, a little under 10 weeks. The trip was 8 weeks but there were delays getting it on a boat.
They were the longest couple of months I've lived through but well worth the wait!

Evan.

Offline kieran

• L Plates
Importing costs
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:14:29 pm »
Thanks Evan.

Another question for all importers.  A colleague of dads who has imported a 60's mustang was saying he didn't have to pay GST because it was a private import and/or older than 30 years... Is this correct? I was under the impression that I would be paying GST if i brought one in.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Importing costs
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:47:38 pm »
Originally posted by kieran
Thanks Evan.

Another question for all importers.  A colleague of dads who has imported a 60's mustang was saying he didn't have to pay GST because it was a private import and/or older than 30 years... Is this correct? I was under the impression that I would be paying GST if i brought one in.

Kieran, I doubt you'll get out of paying Tax. Good luck trying though! Mine was well over 30 years old & I still got slugged GST. What really annoys me is that I then had to pay stamp duty when I registered it. :w

Evan.

Offline usa289

• Worked
Importing costs
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:33 pm »
Kieran,

I imported my 66 nearly 3 years ago and GST is payable!

The Vehicle Import Approval process is very easy to do yourself but I would recommend using an importer for receiving/loading/shipping/cleaning/dock fees, etc, etc. This takes away a lot of the hassle/logistics. (Would also strongly advise to engage an iimporter that can insure the car!) Check also if the importer uses a "fast" or "slow" boat  ... your car will arrive quicker and more direct on a "fast" ship rather than going via Hong Kong and being unloaded/reloaded, etc, etc.

There may also be issues if the car has an air conditioner with R12 gas. Mine had been changed to R134 gas prior to export and I had to provide the DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT AND REGIONAL SERVICES, VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS BRANCH in Canberra with evidence (receipt) of the regassing. I believe many importers actually disconnect any air conditioning units prior to export - but I am sure your importer will be able to advise further.

Certainly buying a car located close to LA will save in transport costs. Mine cost $800US (from memory) to have "shipped" in an enclosed transporter from Texas to Rancho Dominguez in Cal.

And as Ev said, it certainly seems a LONG time until you see your new pride and joy!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Drop me an email if I can assist further or need further info" (tgilfuis@hotmail.com)

TG.
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Importing costs
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:28 pm »
Keiran, I brought in a 65 out of Seattle WA, and had it shipped by an Adelaide company, and it was an easy process, it cost me $2400 AUD + the GST of the cost of the car and the freight, which was next to nothing. Nothing else to pay, all the import approval done, customs cleared, AQIS inspected and cleared.
  As long as your car is clean and passes the AQIS (Quarantine) inspection, you will not have to pay anymore. The whole process was easy, and I will surely use him again when i ship my next one back. I brought my car in December (late)and had it in Brisbane by early March.

Offline kieran

• L Plates
Importing costs
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
Cheers guys, I thought that was the case with GST.

Thanks for the information, i'm almost ready to talk to importers and am looking for cars overseas at the moment, just looking for the right one.

I already cant wait for one, and i havnt even found it yet, haha.

Thanks,

Kieran

Offline 2007GT

• P Plates
Importing costs
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 06:29:48 pm »
My car was shipped from Oregon to Los Angeles via a road transporter. It cost US$700. It was a bit of a pain to have to pay that much, but a few hundred dolars and a damaged car is just not worth the hassle.
The transport company did an awesome job. Prompt, no damage, absolutely hassle free. They covered the insurance too.
I'll look up the details if anyone wants to know who I used.

Offline rene.pilat

• Pony
Importing costs
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 08:08:57 am »
What really annoys me is that I then had to pay stamp duty when I registered it. :w

Evan. [/quote]

I don't know about the other states, but I avoided paying stamp duty in SA on the car when I registered it as `Historic'. That gives you 90 days driving a year, but the car has to be totally stock with the only options allowed being what was available at the time the car was new. I don't know what happens with stamp duty if I cancel the historic reg and reg it as a daily driver.

Regards,

René

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Importing costs
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:57:11 pm »
Rene.  

We are looking at going to a similar system here in Victoria with out Clun rego's.  Do you guys have to run a log book with that rego?>

Mac

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Importing costs
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
I would echo what Evan said. I had a similiar experience and would do it the same way again. The advantage with Steve at M.O.M. is they know Mustangs and how they need to be treated. Every one will agree that the waiting is the hardest part.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Mustang

• P Plates
Importing costs
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 02:27:12 pm »
Is there anything is particular that you're after? There's quite a few cars around here.

Good luck