65 Coupe 'sleeper' FINALLY finished

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 Coupe 'sleeper' FINALLY finished  (Read 3580 times)

Offline 347mustangcanberra

• L Plates
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »

Hi,

I'm reasonably new to the forum, enjoying reading about everyones cars so thought I would tell you about mine!  65 Coupe, had her for about 4 years.  Bought it as a really nice tidy, straight original.  Still had Californian rego when I got it!  Good strong and tidy 289, had a few cosmetic upgrades, nice exhaust and ran beautiful...............then it dropped the oil pick up shaft and went bang.  

So......took her off the road and spent 3 months thinking about what to do.  I posted a forum question about buying a crate motor from the US and got some pretty mixed comments.  After a LOT of research I took the plunge and bought a 347 stroker.  Had it custom made with aluminium heads, MSD and a heap of add on goodies.  Also bought the gearbox and headers.  

It took a long time to all come together and finally arrive but it was very exciting to unpack the crate.  The motor looked amazing!  I'm no mechanic so I sent it to my guy that looked after the stang previously.  I must say I was pretty naive about the whole 'drop' a new motor in'!!!!   It certainly didn't 'drop' in.  Actually the motor dropped in pretty quick it was all the things around it.  Long story but after near 8 months in the workshop and somewhat FAR too much money it was a success.  

The end result is amazing, the motor is incredible.  Really snappy and sounds amazing with the custom 3" exhaust.  We upgraded the the front brakes to discs, changed the radiator, fuel line, fuel pump, brake booster, brake lines, etc, etc etc.  

Dyno'd 340hp at the rear wheels on the first run.  VERY fun to drive and surprisingly quick!!  Haven't touched the suspension yet so the front end lift is awesome when you put your foot down:)

Very happy with the end result and looking forward to going on some runs.  Anyone in Canberra I would love to catch up for a beer and a chat.

Marc

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum and great news about the car. Would love to see the pics of the car and especially the motor.