Crazy Gauges

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Crazy Gauges  (Read 1933 times)

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:41:28 am »
So.  when I bought my convertible 67 a couple of weeks ago,  the ammeter and temp gauges weren't working.  After some research I decided that it was the regulator in the back of the instruments panel. went down to Hills Mustangs,   bought a new one and fitted it.  When I started it up,  not only were the ammeter and temp gauges not working,  but neither was the previously working oil pressure gauge.  Thought I must have knocked something off the  instrument panel,  checked,  hadn't.  Re fitted the old regulator,  pressure gauge came back.  Repeated this a couple of times to make sure i wasn't going nuts.   So now I'm over it.  Any one know an auto electrician experienced at working on early Mustangs,  in the north west (i'm in Kellyville Ridge) so maybe Blacktown.  Alternatively I work out at Windsor so that would work too.
67 Convertible

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
Did you put it in backwards?
I haven't looked at them but if it is a regulator it will probably have diodes in it which will allow the current to only go one way, so it might be backwards.

Only a guess

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:51 am »
What sort of regulator did you get? We sell full electronic ones now, after issues with repro's of the original type not lasting long, due to whatever reason.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:52 am »
it was the electronic ones.  Hills tell me that all they sell now,  the previous still expensive chinese ones didnt work.  I dont think it's backwards,  put it back in the same way the old one came out and it has two terminals, male and female bayonets,  so unless they made it wrong you can only put it in the right way.
67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:30:17 am »
has anyone had any work done at Big Als?
67 Convertible

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
Hey skev,no I have not used big al,but I have heard he knows mustangs inside out.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:03:28 am »
I would be saying a buggered regulator.
Swap it out for a new one before burning more hard earnt
After some research on the forum on older posts, I tested the input side, was fine and then the out put side was nothing, also I earthed out the sender side to see if it would go full scale

jmho

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »
i put the old regulator back in.  It's pulsing ok and I get the pulsing at the back of the oil pressure gauge (which is working).  couldn't get any pulsing at the back of the temp gauge (which isn't).  Back off downstairs to the garage to locate the temp sender and see what's going on with that.  Is the ammeter even powered by the regulator?
67 Convertible

Offline rattusrex

• Worked
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:34 pm »
Ammeters are usually cactus on all Fords and are a potential fire hazard when working. Even the instrument techs won't repair them. Replace the temp sender on the thermostat housing. Eddie
Click Image For Larger View

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:30 pm »
if i ground out the wire going to the temp sender the gauge should hit the stop shouldnt it?

67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Crazy Gauges
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:10:39 pm »
tried it,  it did - therefore temp sender (not really a sender is it?  more like a variable earth) is had it.  that's good,  but wish i hadn't bought a new regulator...
67 Convertible