New Mustang Owner-LHD

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New Mustang Owner-LHD  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Mach1

• Pony
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:26:59 pm »
Hi Guys,
I am new to this site and new to Mustangs, i am just about to buy a 72 Mach 1, and will be looking at importing end of this month.
I have owned Falcons, HSV's, and now a BMW, but the Mustang is the one car i have always wanted to have parked in the driveway.
I have a good friend in the States who is on the lookout for me, i really want a BOSS 428/429 Fastback, but i will have to wait until a real good one comes along and at a real good price.
Question is, do i convert from LHD to RHD, what are the costs, and what is it like driving a LHD car on our roads.

Cheers
Scotty

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:41 pm »
I have a converted car and I wish the PO had kept it LHD.  Apart from every ones personal taste it is much easier to restore and get parts for.

Good luck in geting the car you want at a good price, they are getting very rare to get, let alone at a good price
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline Mach1

• Pony
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:56:45 pm »
Cheers for that,
I habe a good friend who lives in Vegas, he is a Mustang fanatic, so he will snoop around and get the best one for the $$$.
I just unsure wheather i get him to do the conversion over there or do it here, or do it all??
Is it hard to adjust to driving on our roads

Cheers
Scotty

Offline FST68

• Worked
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:30:37 pm »
Scotty,

The only advantage in converting to RHD is the ease of overtaking on a 2 way road  and paying tolls, other than that LHD is great.

Cheers

Adam

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
Mach.  Keep it left hand hook, it won't take you long to get use to and will keep that USA feel about it.  Plus in years to come, who knows from over there may want it back at big dollars..

Good luck with the '72.

Mac

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:15:14 pm »
Wait until you get it and take it for the first spin. I doubt you'll want to convert it. It's way more fun to drive! Many will disagree so you need to make your own mind up.

Evan.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 07:53:38 pm »
Scotty.
Leave it left hook and  I  like you'r choice of model, the 71 73 Mach1's look hot:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:2.

Offline sharkie

• L Plates
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 09:44:15 pm »
hey mate
i just bought my 66 coupe from the states. im leaving it left hook. its a classic dont play with it.
do your homework with importing thew car so u dont get ripped off from the import companies.....

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »
If you are wanting to convert it, make sure you find someone knows what they are doing, if you are Brisbane let me know I'll give you a bloke to talk to. I don't subscribe to the what if someone from the US wants to buy it back idea, why would they, unless it was something supa special, they've got planty of their own Mustangs, I think we are the only dills who ship them around the world. It's a personal choice really, me I'd rather have them right hand drive, but only if they look and drive like they could have been made that way, you don't want pig at then of the day. Just remember they are just cars, if you want to change it, you can. I always remember Wolfgang Grod, the owner of very expensive resto shop in Brisbane showing up in a really flash vintage Rolls at the Macleans bridge sports car day. This car had been restored 4 years prevous and the owner had never picked it up as he was afaid to use it. He used bring his mates down to Wolf's shop to look at it and have a beer. In the end Wolf said stuff it, I'm taken it to Macleans bridge, the owner said what if it gets damaged I paid you $280k to restore it. Wolf said it's just a car, I fixed once I can do it again, it's only made of bent up metal after all. I apply this idea to Mustangs, in the remote chance somone in the US really want's it back let them convert it back to LHD. Do as you see fit, once you pay the money it's all up to you.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 09:42:08 pm »
In Vic over the last 2 years there seems to be a lot more LHD Mustangs on the road. Is this a trend or are costs now affecting any decisions to convert? My 67 Coupe is staying left hooker because it was made that way! The pose factor kicks in even more in a LHD classic. By all means have them changed to RHD but I have lots of other things I could spend up to $5+ Grand on!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:49 pm »
I see a lot more LHD cars in Queensland as well now.  I think it is because a little of the cost factor, preference to keep it LHD and laws in this state allowing a 30 year old plus car to stay left hand drive.  At the end of the day it is up to the owner of the car to make their own decision on what they want
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 02:21:09 am »
My 65 is left hook, and i am currently in the USA, and driving around in an 07 Mustang, and it being a left hook, i find driving here a peice of cake... I love driving mine at home, it is a manual, and a whole lot of fun... I have just brought a 65 convertible here, and that too will remain left hook, not because of the cost factor, but just because i like it  that way!!!  
 Derwin, how is the rack and pinion coming along??

Offline Mustang

• P Plates
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 07:17:17 am »
If you need help finding something let me know. I'm currently residing in California.

Good luck

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 06:17:26 pm »
Mustang.   Are cars and parts getting harder or easier to find there?

Offline Mustang

• P Plates
New Mustang Owner-LHD
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 06:13:40 am »
I guess it would depend on what you're looking for, and for how much.