right hand drive conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: right hand drive conversion  (Read 16113 times)

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »
Both my wife and I are comfortable driving it, she is also comfortable as a passenger, I've never even sat in that seat, so can't tell you about the Mustang, but I've been passenger in my brothers Pantera, and its OK.
As Sprint says, be patient if you aren't that confident, and use the $10k to buy another one!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:38 pm »
Quote from: stormin link=topic=15074.msg151994#msg151994
I see saftey issues mentioned by all the LHD brigade. Must say something.
Stormin

G'day Stormin, I think the only safety issues are other idiots on our roads.  " A poor tradesman always blames his tools" :smile02:
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 11:25:42 pm »
Quote from: stormin link=topic=15074.msg151994#msg151994
I see saftey issues mentioned by all the LHD brigade. Must say something.
Stormin

I agree, RHD is certainly preferable - just IMO not ten grand preferable (unless a persons got the money just lying around that is....)

$10000 can buy a few extra minutes convenience on every cruise, or it can buy a stinking hot crate motor that'd pass slow cars safely in the blink of an eye (and probably suck their headlights out in the process!)
:burnout:

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
I am going RHD as it just wouldn't go away in my mind so I decided to trust my instincts. I have driven a LHD which I didn't have a problem with but RHD is obviously natural to most of us.

I suppose it depends on what you want from the car. If you want to keep it original then definately leave it LHD. If you want a restomod and have the cash then go RHD. I plan to hopefully have more than one mustang one day and the next one will be an original that I will leave LHD but for my current car which will be a restomod I have no intentions of it ever leaving my family so I was happy to spend the cash on the conversion so my kids will be able to drive it easily when they get old enough. Plus I have an experience professional doing the conversion with rack & pinion etc. so that helps.

If you want it RHD then do it. It's your car remember. :thumb:

Offline Sally

• Worked
  • Name: Chris, Sally
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 01:42:31 pm »
hi everyone :hi:
after much careful consideration (lack of money) we have decided to leave it as left hand drive, just wasnt sure if us oldies could adapt to lh drive but if everyone says its cool then we're just gunna go with it
thanks everyone for the input
cheers Chris & Sally :cool:

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 03:42:11 pm »
I have had both left and right hand drive. I like the novelty of the LHD and I agree, it makes it feel special to drive LHD. It's not that difficult (especially if its an auto). I also think that if you are ever going to on sell your car, the biggest market is always going to be the US (especially if it's a shelby etc) and they won't be interested in RHD. Ultimately, I would recommend you try both and then decide.
IMG

Offline lastfairlane

• Pony
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »
Hi all
mine is a 72 convertible and is RHD I was told the fire wall was cut out and an XB Falcon one was welded in which gave  the car the correct openings for the steering collumn and heater hoses ETC an XB steering box and drag link were used and to drive it on the road its just like driving an old Falcon XB/C/D/E/F the T-Bar takes a bit of getting used to the thumb button is on the wrong side but all in all its good to drive the wipers havent been changed I havent registered it yet so I dont know if the wipers have to be changed for RHD
anyway mines RHD and Im happy
thanks John

Never trust a dog to hold a sandwich for you

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »
not sure about anywhere else but SA has to have the wiper sweep altered for RHD.......
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 08:25:26 am »
The auto button should be able to be turned around .It's quite simple when you look at it closely. Was a few years ago now but I've done all of mine.
Stormin

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:18 am »
I was told about the XB<XC>XA firewall about 10 years ago by a bloke heavily involved in stangs but have not personally used them.
From memory with the earlier model stangs a bit has to be cut out of the middle of the firewall to fit between the fender walls.
Stormin

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 08:45:31 am »

On the three 71 /73's that I converted, all the Engineer (QLD) required was for the wiper arms to be extended so that the blade swept as close as possible to the top of the screen.

A simple cut and shut of the stainless arm and the articulated rod on the drivers side arm. From memory it was about 45mm.

Years ago, I contacted Canberra to clarify how the ADR Required Wiper Swept Areas were determined, after a lot of buck passing and dertermined digging, I was finally told that American DOT Standard requirements were used and then photstated in reverse to give us the right hand drive ADR Standards.

Only problem was that the datum point for the three swept area requirements  continually changed due to car pillar widths all being different and also it didn't relate to centre pivot wipers,  meaning it was therefore extremely hard to work out.

Engineer gave up and accepted my argument,  allowing leaving them LHD and covering the maximum area by extending the arm length.

Used, FJ Holdens, all AMC cars built in Australia, early Mercedes, modern one blade Mercedes and a few others as a precedent.
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »
Friend sold his neat converted 66 coupe to a sydney man.
The car was currently registered in Vic with unconverted wipers.

The sydney man rang a couple of weeks later and said he wanted his money back cause the car cannot be registered in NSW with the wipers as they were. My friend just said sorry, you should have checked the laws of your state before buying...

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
RRS make a RHD  complete firewall , dash and cowl  i saw on their web site , as well as dash cluster housings dont know if they are good , bad or what just saw them on the site.
67fasty
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 09:48:55 am »
Quote from: JimNiki link=topic=15074.msg152562#msg152562
Friend sold his neat converted 66 coupe to a sydney man.
The car was currently registered in Vic with unconverted wipers.

The sydney man rang a couple of weeks later and said he wanted his money back cause the car cannot be registered in NSW with the wipers as they were. My friend just said sorry, you should have checked the laws of your state before buying...

If the ADR complient law has not been amended, any car (I believe...) pre-71' does not require to have their wipers changed over for a R/H drive conversion (except S.A....it looks like?)

As long as the wiper sweep maintains a certain % of effectively wiping the windscreen, this is all that is required, therefore an extension of either the wiper blade or wiper arm may be all of what's needed to satisfy the Engineers signatory.

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool: