Importing a Mustang...newbie

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing a Mustang...newbie  (Read 5633 times)

Offline jambo

• Thoroughbred
« on: May 12, 2007, 06:51:18 am »
Hi All , i'm looking for a little advice on importing a Mustang into Victoria. I'm new to Australia (arrived 6 months ago from the UK) and although i imported a Mustang into the UK a few years ago obviously the rules over here are different. The car is on its way (thanks to Auto Ezy Search) and fingers crossed i should get my hands on it in the next 6 weeks , i'm a little fuzzy on what happens once the car is mine. Can anyone run through the procedure of what's needed to make the car legal in Vic. I presume the car needs to be registered and needs to gain a RWC (whats needed for a Vic RWC ?) , also the car needs to be insured - can that be done before it gets registered?
Sorry for the amount of Q's.....
Thanks in advance ,

Jim
Sorry for the amount

Offline jambo

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:18:52 am »
Cheers Phil for your reply,

Should of mentioned that its a '66 Mustang that will remain LHD. All the paperwork has been applied for. I have the headlights ready for RWC, i'm guessing thats about it providing the car is pretty much road worthy? I'm in Sunbury ,  near the airport - anyone know of nearby LMCT engineers that are 'sympathetic' towards Mustangs ? (Where is Graham Folwell located?)

jim

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:27:27 am »
Jim, first thing you should do is get an unregistered vehicle permit so you can drive the car for repair / testing purposes. These cost $60 for 28 days. You won't need someone with an LMCT for a RWC. Many local mechanics do roadworthy checks and supply RWC's. You may want to ask them if they're aware of the different rules that apply to these older imported cars regarding LHD, seatbelts and colour of indicators. As you mentioned, the headlights must be replaced and that's it. The RWC is a thorough safety check. You may need to replace all front end bushes, ball joints, brakes, shocks, ensure all electricals work, repair any seat rips (use seat covers) replace chipped or cracked windscreen, ensure battery is secured, wash engine & fix oil leaks etc etc.
Once you've got the RWC, you make an appointment with Vic roads and take down the car, import approval, RWC and proof of purchase. They will then check numbers on the car and you're done. The whole process takes less than half an hour.

Evan.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:14:56 am »
Jambo,   also on that if you intend to fully register it, you'll have to take your import papers as well.

If you are part of the MOCA have you considered getting club rego, its much cheaper if you only intend on using it within club rules and it assists in a cheap way to insure.

Offline jambo

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:52:12 pm »
Thanks Ev for the explanation , kinda makes sense now. Thanks also to Mac1 for the info regarding the MOCA. Until i left the UK i was a member of MOCGreat Britain and i now want to be a member of MOCA. Is the club rego info written down somewhere so i get this ready for the car's arrival?

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
Jambo, sure. Have a look at  

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/Permits/ClubPermits.htm  

the best thing about it is you don't pay stamp duty on the rego, its much much cheaper and you can use it under the regs when conditions exist.  Insurance works out better and you also don't need to supply a RWC.  The conditions for its use will soon be changing but will be better for the user.  My choice, my everyones - another option for you though.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 04:03:06 pm »
Jambo

Graham is in the Rowville area and is the MOCA Vic permit officer as well.

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!