Ooops, wrong hole (s)

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ooops, wrong hole (s)  (Read 33409 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Ooops, wrong hole (s)
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:02 am »
The machine shop didn't seem interested in doing that at all. Would that be common practice by others?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Ooops, wrong hole (s)
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »
I've had jag cranks welded before, with no issue, but by the time you do that, gring it etc, probably not much more to buy a new one. Not all shops would be able to do it hense their reluctance. If they are reluctant don't force them to do it or it will end in tears. As for still standard, My E type was still stanard bores crank, head never faced and it was a daily drive till I got it in 96. It is still standard today.

Try these guys they reclaim cranks
http://www.crankshaftrebuilders.com.au/about_crankshaft_rebuilders.htm

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
Ooops, wrong hole (s)
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »
I think you're on the money Shaun. For roughly $600 I can get a new Scat crank. For a little over 2k, I can get a full new rotating assembly, fully balanced. All purchased here in Aus.

For the cost of all the machine work my crank needs, that pretty much covers the cost of the new crank. I need pistons/rings. Don't need rods so that is really the only extra outlay for going all new. Would be pretty close to this set-up for sale from Barry Rabotnick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190638444207&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Offline mert

• Supercharged
Ooops, wrong hole (s)
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »
I'm about to go for one of Barry's 445 stroker kits.  

Who are you buying from locally and do you have a comparison of the specific parts provided?

Barry is seriously respected in the FE community and stands behind his product.  But if I can get the same parts here for a similar price (factoring in shipping) I'm more than happy to support local vendors....

Are you getting "similar" or "the same"?  Scat, probe, Fm/Clevite.... all balanced and ready to go?
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
Ooops, wrong hole (s)
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2012, 08:39:07 pm »
It'd be a

9000 Scat 4.250 stroke cast crank
6.700 BBC rods with ARP bolts
SRP 4.155 bore piston set
Total Seal classic race ring set

These were all through a mate in a performance parts store. I don't know what the retail prices are, the prices he gave me were worth while buying from him and not from Barry as Barry's standard prices were pretty close. Obviously as you know there is that extra cost to ship from Barry.

I'd have to just send my flywheel, harmonic balancer and pressure plate to him for them to balance the lot before they ship the parts.

I'll be getting my other parts from Barry though, roller hydraulic lifters and cam etc.