RHD Conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RHD Conversion  (Read 14624 times)

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
RHD Conversion
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 11:20:32 pm »
we've supplied a few of the RHD TCP Power Rack kits here. There is no manual version, in RHD.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
RHD Conversion
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:24 am »
Quote from: renjar link=topic=14182.msg177374#msg177374
After doing a google search I found this old post and had to respond to it. I hope provides useful to anyone thinking about purchasing this product!

I have purchased the Americal online imports AOI rack and pinion model number 6570MG for a RHD conversion for my 65 Mustang coupe. This is my daily driver so I wanted it RHD.

I regret the day I placed the order! :cry::cheers:When the unit arrived it was missing some of the fitting. Took about a month to get the correct ones as AOI said they needed to be ordered.

The installation was simple, so thats one positive thing I can say.

First drive it would not self center the steering. Called AOI and was explained it was an installation error, but they could not tell me how. The answer from AOI was to sent it back at my expense so they can look at it (I am in VIC). After further pushing I was pasted onto the engineering company that performed the engineering certificates on the product.

Turns that the sales guy knows nothing about the rack, there is a plastic adjustment that mostly fixed the issue. I was told not to adjust it past a specific point as I was told it would quickly wear the unit out. It improved the issue just enough to pass RWC. After about 6 months of driving it slowly improved further but it is still far from ideal.

At low RPM the steering is really really hard, again AOI said its an installation issue and if I sent it to them they would 'look at it'. I know this would be a waste of time and money.

:banghead:

The sales guy, Mario seems to be the only person in the business and he is a shocker to deal with once you make the purchase.

Lesson learnt, RRS are expensive for a reason!

:tissue:

It's the alignment that makes them steer well not a rack. If yours won't centre it needs alot more caster assuming the rack is not too stiff. A rack is harder for the wheels to push back than a standard box. On a power steer car you want more than 5-6 + degrees of caster.
They don't need a rack they need correct alignment that's, problem is no one knows how to do it. The wheels are still doing the same thing with or without a rack.
Give it 2mm of toe up to +8 caster -.25 camber. +3.5 caster on a non steer. More caster it has better it will drive, so you go power steer and heaps of caster. They don't need a rack they need caster, like modern cars have.
RRS is just a Deawoo rack, nothing specail

Offline phaseautos

• Worked
  • phaseautos
RHD Conversion
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:56 am »
Quote from: shaunp link=topic=14182.msg177732#msg177732
Quote from: renjar link=topic=14182.msg177374#msg177374
After doing a google search I found this old post and had to respond to it. I hope provides useful to anyone thinking about purchasing this product!

I have purchased the Americal online imports AOI rack and pinion model number 6570MG for a RHD conversion for my 65 Mustang coupe. This is my daily driver so I wanted it RHD.

I regret the day I placed the order! :cry::cheers:When the unit arrived it was missing some of the fitting. Took about a month to get the correct ones as AOI said they needed to be ordered.

The installation was simple, so thats one positive thing I can say.

First drive it would not self center the steering. Called AOI and was explained it was an installation error, but they could not tell me how. The answer from AOI was to sent it back at my expense so they can look at it (I am in VIC). After further pushing I was pasted onto the engineering company that performed the engineering certificates on the product.

Turns that the sales guy knows nothing about the rack, there is a plastic adjustment that mostly fixed the issue. I was told not to adjust it past a specific point as I was told it would quickly wear the unit out. It improved the issue just enough to pass RWC. After about 6 months of driving it slowly improved further but it is still far from ideal.

At low RPM the steering is really really hard, again AOI said its an installation issue and if I sent it to them they would 'look at it'. I know this would be a waste of time and money.

:banghead:

The sales guy, Mario seems to be the only person in the business and he is a shocker to deal with once you make the purchase.

Lesson learnt, RRS are expensive for a reason!

:tissue:

It's the alignment that makes them steer well not a rack. If yours won't centre it needs alot more caster assuming the rack is not too stiff. A rack is harder for the wheels to push back than a standard box. On a power steer car you want more than 5-6 + degrees of caster.
They don't need a rack they need correct alignment that's, problem is no one knows how to do it. The wheels are still doing the same thing with or without a rack.
Give it 2mm of toe up to +8 caster -.25 camber. +3.5 caster on a non steer. More caster it has better it will drive, so you go power steer and heaps of caster. They don't need a rack they need caster, like modern cars have.
RRS is just a Deawoo rack, nothing specail

lol rotflmao:rol:
i just posted near on the same thing :rol:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17719&goto=search&pid=177754

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
RHD Conversion
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:45 pm »
Quote from: soc123_au link=topic=14182.msg145016#msg145016
I have the AOI Rack in my car, it fits up nicely & appears well made. It uses all the original mounting points for the LHD steering box & Idler arm. I am also using an aftm column so it is set up GM style with a double D shaft. You would need to chat to them about the best soloution column wise on your 66.

Unfortunatly I am yet to drive my car so I cant comment on how it performs on the road, although I am confident it will be fine.

get a decent set of wheels and she'll be sweet steve.:thumb::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01::smile01:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
Re: RHD Conversion
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32:20 pm »

Shaunp
You wrote a while back "RRS is just a Deawoo rack, nothing special".
This has intrigued me for a while. Can you give us a bit more information on this. It may be another option to the RHD debate. Cheers Coops 

66 and 69 coupes.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:16 am »
Unless AOI have changed their design they list one rack for all early Mustangs. This can't work properly, as the lower arm pivots are in a different place pre 67, this means the inner tie rod ends have to be like wise different, or bump steer will result. So they either work OK for 67 on and poorly for pre 67, ok for pre 67 and poorly for post 67 or average for both. If you look TCP and RRS you will see that they have 2 positons to mount the inner tierods, this is why. You can have one size fitts all.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Shaunp
You wrote a while back "RRS is just a Deawoo rack, nothing special".
This has intrigued me for a while. Can you give us a bit more information on this. It may be another option to the RHD debate. Cheers Coops

The main rack is a centre steer GM J car rack, ie they first appeared in Holden Camiras, Deawoo's were, maybe some still are built on the GM J car floor pan. You can get the rack in RH & LH because Deawoos/ J cars are sold world wide in some form or another. RRS makes mounts to fit it to Fords, and to stop it twisting they run the sliding idler shaft below, others in the US sell them as well but without the idler shaft, so they would flop around a bit like the do in a Deawoo, wasn't an issue in them, as they were a much lighter car, and not too big on speed and handling anyway. So just remember the rack was designed for a Camria not a much heavier more powerfull car. Falcon XF box is the best option really, for RHD, big strong vairable ratio power box, built for the job, they were also the same as Holdens with an intrgrated PS box ie HQ-WB etc.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:52:59 am by shaunp »

Offline tubby

• Stallion
  • 70 428CJ. 73 XB GS Coupe. 70 DS Citroen
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
Hi Coops,
I did part of my floor each way but I was able to conceal one join. I did a lap join and had the overlap inside (up) so that it is covered where the seat riser flange sits. So from the bottom it is pretty much full of weld and seam sealer does the rest.
PS I get the feeling I know you.
Tubby

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 09:33:20 pm »
Yep it's me.......Great tip on the floor. It sure seems that a 10mm overlap is the way to go. I just need the courage to hit it with the angle grinder. Cheers Coops
66 and 69 coupes.

Offline Petey

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:06 am »
I have an AOI power rack & pinion kit in my 1967 fastback.  The self centering issue was quite noticable when first installed but it's fine now that the castor has been adjusted to suit R&P.
When I first purchased the kit, I elected to use my own power steering pump and that works fine as it's out of a 1987 Mustang which has higher pressure and matches up well with the rack.
My original steering column was sent over to Adelaide and AOI cut it to length, machined the shaft end ready to fit the uni joint supplied with the kit.
The steel mounting bracket for the rack is a perfect fit with the original holes in the sub-frame rails and gives the car much more rigid cross member bracing than the standard bent tube fitted from factory (both are in place).
Generally speaking Mario was very helpful and always returned my calls in a timely manner if he was not answering when I rang.
As with most RHD racks, the exhaust headers had to be custom bent to allow fitment of the rack and access to the starter motor.
At low speeds the car steers very lightly as you would want when parking, at highway speeds, the road feel is good and there is almost no bump steer. All things considered, the AOI kit is an acceptable upgrade, but at nearly $3,000.00 it's not something you would do ahead of disk brakes, better suspension, lap/sash retractible seat belts or head rests. I have done all these things as I wanted to make the car safer to drive and that is not done without spending lots of money!
PT