Great Job

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Great Job  (Read 32002 times)

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Great Job
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »
I like the magnums..

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Great Job
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »
Geez, I reckon 17" or 18" styled steel wheels set off a Vert real well. Gotta be down on its guts though.:thumb:
Exhaust has to be headers with H pipe and twin free flow Mufflers and chromed outlets.:fantastic:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline waz_j

• Pony
Great Job
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 09:06:30 pm »
If you're going with the black top again then I'd definitely go the magnums.

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
Great Job
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »
Quote from: waz_j link=topic=14026.msg144933#msg144933
If you're going with the black top again then I'd definitely go the magnums.

Going with the white top Waz_j,
bloody hard decision this :banghead:
If life gives you lemons make lemonade

Offline Shihan B

• Stallion
Great Job
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »
cragar now reproduce the magnums in a range of sizes,

17" with some decent rubber will look the goods

Offline waz_j

• Pony
Great Job
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 11:23:47 pm »
Quote from: Chopper link=topic=14026.msg144976#msg144976

Something like this?

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/16321958/mump_0206_02_z+1968_ford_mustang+backview.jpg

I still think the magnums would set it off nicely.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »
After listening to All, John has decided to go with 14" or 15" Magnum 500's. Not sure on width as yet but tyres will be Bridgestone or Goodyear with white lettering.

Have also decided to go to a straight twin system and turf the transverse set up. This was decided after seeing waz_j car on youtube at our workshop

Thanks fellas

Matt

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
Great Job
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »
Quote from: waz_j link=topic=14026.msg145011#msg145011
Quote from: Chopper link=topic=14026.msg144976#msg144976

Something like this?

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/16321958/mump_0206_02_z+1968_ford_mustang+backview.jpg

I still think the magnums would set it off nicely.

Spot on Was_j thats the image i have had in my head all along.
The twelve slotters look ok but the magnums will look tits:rub:

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 12:14:26 am »
PART  7 – No days at the beach

Well thought it was time to update the build. Been extremely busy trying to get the old girl finished

We started on the brakes and stocked up on all the fluids we will need for re-assembly. Went with DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid so if there’s any leaks, it’s not going to harm any paint in the engine bay or anywhere else for that matter.

Made sure all the lines were tight before we got cranking and sure enough, one line was tight but leaking from the proportioning valve and there was a huge leak from the rear line> Always pays to get the brakes sorted before the engine goes in…especially a big block. Getting your hands down under  the proportioning valve afterwards is a bitch

FRONT LEAK

REAR LEAK

Masked up the inside of the boot with tape along with the rear wheel wells ready for Rhino liner. While I was at it, thoughts it would be good to clean out the inner doors with a pressure washer and wire brush, mask up any holes and shoot that at the same time. Going from a restoration to overkill at this stage but it looks great. Nothing you will ever see once the door panels are on but John will know.

Mike was still dinkin with the engine so I got crackin on the inside floor of the car. Fitting Dyna mat most of the rest of the day was kinda fun. This is as far as I got with the dyna mat.

We dug out the old speedo cable to get all the engine bay sorted so we could drop the 390 in but noticed that it was trashed on a spot where a clamp was compressed against it. Considering I don’t want to replace that after the engine is in, we opted for a brand new one. Why not?...everything else is new, why stop now.

Pulled down the old seats and decided to restore the seats rather than just re-upholster them. Bought some burlap the same colour as the interior just to be different. Its meant to be a brown colour. Sandblasted the seat frames and painted in red oxide primer. Blasting took for ever as they are so intricate with all the springs.

Got sucked in by Sheri as she knew I was going to be blasting…ended up doing a table while I was at it. Didn’t bother me, I just laid the parts on top of the table and by the time I got to the table it was pretty well done. Had a bash at his original grille as well

With the engine and trans all done I thought I would spend a couple of hours rebuilding the dash fascia. Originally we were going with the black camera case style dash but like builds, things change. John decided on the ally look which I kinda like. I don’t care about it not being year model correct with tiny stuff like this. It can always be changed easily enough if you’re a purist.

I did this a week before the table was blasted. You can see the table in the picture below.

Few days later we had Sheri polish all the original window chrome ready for the next day as we had the glass guys coming to do a few other restorations front windows. Sheri is the master of chrome.

We had to do something about the finish on the paint as I was just devastated with its finish after the 2nd attempt. More orange peel than you could imagine. Tim spent 3 days on the car and now Im very happy with it. Still, very disappointing after waiting 8-10 weeks. While Tim chipped away at that, I pre-fit the dash pad before the glass went. So much easier when theres no glass in the way. I also fitted all the chrome trim tabs around the frame as it’s a pain in the X wifeto get em in after.

And just when the old shelf gets down to a few boxes, we walked around to all the differtent sections of the shop (trim section, engine section and parts section) we gathered all Johns bits and put them all back on his shelf so we could see that we had everything prepared for the next phase. It basically filled the shelf again.

Basically that’s were we are at with it. The new magnum 500’s rolled up the other day with all new centre caps and wheel nuts (14 x 7’s). I took a day off to go for a ride on the 48 with Sheri  and a few friends down to our favourite Sunday breakfast joint in Safety Harbour then went on a ride around Sunny Florida. Was good to have a break.

Came in on the Saturday, did a ½ a day of panel beating/metal finishing the ute. Blasted it and got the under chassis in primer, painted the engine bay and rhino lined the wheel wells. Painted the engine bay so I could see if there were any other dents that I need to tend too….buts another build thread I think.

Im sorry there’s so many photos and they take a while to load but I would rather spend a few hours loading them in one sitting than trying to do it daily.

Hope your all enjoying the build so far

Matt

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
Great Job
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »
Looking real nice:cool:

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:23 am »

Been a while since the last update.

Hopefully you can guess what’s going on. Cars coming along extremely well.

Small scratch that I put into it….need to fix that

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Great Job
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:37 pm »
MIssing some pics Matt?

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 07:44:52 am »
Mike spent pretty well all day under the dash. It got to a stage that everytime I heard the word F#@K, I had to go and take a photo. Some slipped by as I couldn’t stop what I was doing.

Near the end of the day, I put my phone in the picture with the time on it. All of those pics and times were major “dummie spits”.

Shelby decided to eat an apple :rol:

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:28 am »

Just thought I would share this as Mike and myself were very proud of what we had achieved over the weekend. There was the annual freedomfest held here on Saturday and Sunday for bikes and cars (very big event).We entered Sheri’s 64 falcon and decided to enter the green machine under a “works in progress” entry. In all there was 5 unfinished cars/restorations that were also at the event…maybe more as we shot off for most of the day after hanging around for an hour.

We also entered my 48 Sunbeam in the open bikes under “vintage” section. There was close to 1000 bikes at the event and probably over 3 million dollars entered under the bike show alone

Sheri took 3rd place with her pink 64 falcon

Mike and myself took 1st place for the 68 green machine

And to finish the day off, I took 1st place for the 48 Sunbeam. Not just winning a very cool American eagle trophy, but interviewed by some TV bike show, and a photo shoot for  next issue of …ummm…some biker mag ….and offered to have a huge feature in next month’s iron and lace magazine with some chick on the bike…spose that’s why they call it iron and lace

The whole day, I thought I had left the camera at the office and when we got home, found it under NPD catalogue  LOL. Kinda pi55ed about that as there were some really nice cars at the car show and for those that like bikes, well…its America…everything was off tap or naked. We continued to celebrate throughout the night to all hours of the morning. Was very pleased to get John a trophy for his baby before its even finished and while it still here in the states. A little bit of history already for John to take back home when he’s over here in August

Congrats John

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
Great Job
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:56 am »
Congratulations Matt and Sheri on a GOLD effort, :yellowpepper: cant wait to get over there in august and give the liver a workout:drink:  
This car has become my third child who has no name, any offerings gang.  :cool:

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Great Job
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:32 pm »
It appears photobucket is at it again... Messin up the pics...
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 08:36:12 pm »
hmmm...just saw that.

Went into photobucket and deleted about 900 un used pics but it didnt do anything.

Damn photobucket messin with the project

Have set up another account for the rest of the build

Matt

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
Great Job
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »

Hi Matt and Sheri, Had a good look at the photos earlier today. Could only think WOW! What a fantastic job you are doing on that car. Chopper will surely be justifiably proud.

Congratulations on winning all those awards too. Thoroughly deserved.

Was having a conversation the other day with a chap asking the question about whether to buy an already restored car versus doing one himself.
Suggested to him that buying a project was a good idea if he fancied spending all his spare time in his garage for the next couple of years.LOL. Bugger that!
People just have no idea of how many hours it takes to restore a car. Point is that those of us in the know fully realise how much time you are spending on this car.
It is coming up superb. Well done!

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:03 pm »
Been busy at it for the last 2 weeks. A lot of the small fidly bits have been blasted/painted/rebuilt…basically all the stuff that sucks during re-assembly. All the windows are now in with all new mechanisms. Rear windows still being worked on. Under dash is pretty well complete. Electric top all operational.

And after staring at that 390 forever, its finally in without even 1 nick on the engine bay paint

Should have the drive shaft, trans lines, exhaust, radiator, hood, and power steering all fitted up

Have “Richard” from the forum coming over on Sunday to have a look at his 68 X code coupe so he will see the car before John does. Would be good to hear it run by the end of the day but we’ll see how we go. I have promised John a video of that moment should it occur

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »
thats the 65 mustang ute on the lift in the background

Offline Dad

• Worked
Great Job
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
You are looking pretty happy with yourself in a couple of those pictures Matt !

And rightly so !

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 05:25:14 am »
Quote from: rocket link=topic=14026.msg148800#msg148800

Hi Matt and Sheri, Had a good look at the photos earlier today. Could only think WOW! What a fantastic job you are doing on that car. Chopper will surely be justifiably proud.

Congratulations on winning all those awards too. Thoroughly deserved.

Was having a conversation the other day with a chap asking the question about whether to buy an already restored car versus doing one himself.
Suggested to him that buying a project was a good idea if he fancied spending all his spare time in his garage for the next couple of years.LOL. Bugger that!
People just have no idea of how many hours it takes to restore a car. Point is that those of us in the know fully realise how much time you are spending on this car.
It is coming up superb. Well done!

Rocket.

Thanks Rocket.

Only those who have gone down the avenue CAN understand

A great deal of time, patience and love goes into a restoration and I want to thank John in advance for having all 3.

He has been an absolute legend through all this and followed my advice pretty well every step of the way

The colour was one of the :hand:

But thats starting to grow on me now the chrome and parchment interior is in the car

Naming the car Maddy, has given me a bit of a pat on the back as thats my eldest daughters name

Even though its Johns car, a little piece of me goes with it.

After reading one of your recent threads, just gave me an idea of something a little extra Im going to get John for his car

See you fellas soon  :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:33 am »
Quote from: stang8 link=topic=14026.msg149470#msg149470
You are looking pretty happy with yourself in a couple of those pictures Matt !

And rightly so !

Both Sheri and myself are just as exited as John

Im very happy about it and even happier with were its at now.

Will post pics soon

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 06:41:56 am »
Managed to get the steering rack in on Friday. Bead blasted the front corner lamp brackets and fitted them up. Fitted the 3 core radiator and ran all the trans lines. Threw in the drive shaft however  we have decided to fit a new uni joint.

Painted the inspection plate and trans sump and we did manage to get the hood on aswell

Mike spent a little time on the exhaust on Friday but should have that finished today.

Richard from Qld came down on Sunday to have a look at his X code coupe (he also owns a green 68 “S” code converts back in OZ) He was very impressed with Maddy. He spent more time looking at that than his own car

Then we rode the 48 down to Clearwater Beach for the rest of the day.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Great Job
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:40 am »
Well, 2 weeks and one day and this is where we’re at. Got the front seats started…what a bitch they were with that new foam. Even though they MAY look good in pics, I have to pull em down again. They’re just not sitting right for me. Got Inga to give me hand cutting all the foam and padding as it’s a pain in the arse and too time consuming for me.

I used the original wire from the seats as it was in good condition but it’s a pain in the ar5e to wrap from the base. What I do is cut the centre of the seat cover but I cut the wire a little longer so it over laps into the other side. Roughly were the pliers are in the photo. When ever your fitting new seat foam and trim. I always spray the lot down with silicone….it makes it very maneuverable when trying to pull tight over corners that would normally gain friction and grab.

A word of warning though.

When using “HOG RINGS” to do your interior, some spots can be quite difficult to get too. (68 and 69 front seats are the worst) I would advise not to get too carried away as they’re quite sharp and you can punch a hole through your finger without even thinking about it….and ….you look kind of stupid walking across a workshop with a seat base stapled to your finger….easiest remedy in this case….slice your finger with a fresh/clean razor blade from the side…..tyring to pull it out with pliers kinda hurts.

After completing a minor finger surgery, I chose to carefully throw the hog ring pliers into a deep dark corner of the workshop and push forward with Mike with the exhaust. Made a small repair to the brake line tab on the diff. Shelby chose to clean up the workshop by strategically

Got back into the seats later in the day after I spent a few minutes looking for the hog ring pliers that some one had put in the corner of the workshop.   Had to use the original backing foam for the front seats that I glued with some 3M spray glue. Mike kept dinken around with the front springs. The ride height was just ugly looking.

Shelby continued to molest the cardboard boxes

Got cranking on the engine.

Richard from QLD came over a few days back and was extremely nice enough to  donate a brand new FORD 4 barrel carby gasket… Very nice of him if you ask me. We actually went through a heap of boxes that he had ordered and there was a 68 390 fan shroud that was broken from NPD. He said he would contact NPD and they replaced the one that was broken….So Maddy scored a new fan shroud aswell….with a few repair mods 

Fitted a new uni joint on the drive shaft and ran the rest of the exhaust. Lined the top up and fitted the rear chrome

Got stuck into the back windows and blasted some final parts for the engine. Im going to be so god damn happy one Ive finished blasting all the bits…I think these are the last, but theres sure to be a few more.

Rear windows and the front window alighnmnet took pretty well all day with the both us at it. What a pain. Blasted the fan and made a few repairs. Kinda silly but had a few dents and nicks. Hit it with a hamer and dolly for a bit and linished up the edges. Believe it or not but 2-3 hours later, it came up a treat. Got stuck into rebuilding the shifter. Yep…had to blast it. Alan key was threaded and the chrome looked like snot anyway, so I drilled it out so we could replace it with a new one.

Fitted up most of the engine side of things today. Managed to get the new altenator fitted up without the Fog pump. Fan shroad was repaired and fitted, upper and lower radiator hoses fitted. All the pulleys fitted up and were just waiting on the new 4 barrel carb. Tuesday night it goes down for the new top and should have that back by Saturday or Monday.

Getting extremely close now.  Cant wait to blow the dust of Maddy and give it a wash for the first time completed. Its been a long road….its been time consuming…and its been expensive…its been frustrating

Although John has only paid for Mike’s time on the project in the last 2-3 weeks…I want to thank him for that as it was never agreed from the beginning but it has certainly pushed it across the line. He has sincerely been a champ through out the whole 2 year process. Nothing has been spared throughout this entire build and John has been …..”one of the most extremely patient fella’s, that I can say…that Sheri and myself have ever met”.

I will say this…Good things come to those that wait John. And wait you have…Maddy is superb…all Maddy’s are!
(not being bias that my eldest is Maddy) 