Anti Eleanor?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Anti Eleanor?  (Read 2940 times)

Offline ZeustheDog

• L Plates
Anti Eleanor?
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:35 am »
I get the impression from some of the comments made on the forum that the Eleanor replica's are frowned upon on this forum? Just trying to understand why? Personally I love all things Mustang and respecting the desire to own an original classic.
Does this mean that the Eleanor Mustang is not a good investment and likely to depreciate horrifically?

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:34 am »
No I wouldn't say they are frowned upon ... i see two issues with Eleanors arising on this board :

1. A lot of people think they were done to death and a bit of a fad after the movie 'Gone in 60 seconds' ;
2. Some have tried to recreate one and found the hard way that it is not just a matter of bolting on a few fibreglass panels and spraying it pepper grey with black stripes. To do one properly takes a fairly large budget.

Then there is the case of Unique Performance in the US building Eleanors and then being shut down by federal authorities for VIN tampering - I guess that put a bit of a stigma on them.

I personally love them and a properly built one will set you back around $100k - I dont think a properly built one will depreciate.

Just my 2c of course.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:02:49 am »
There is a lot of "shonky" Eleanors out there. When done right they are a very cool ride. The car in my Avatar is a psudeo Eleanor type thing (if it ever gets finished)

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:00 am »
I'm with Frank, they won't depreciate.
I know of a poorly built, but authorised Eleanor from the US that went for well over $100k here, on the road.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline FastbackJack

• Pony
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:14 am »
Personally, I love a good Eleanor.  I've only ever seen one on the road around my city in the last 10 years.  But as already mentioned, doing one properly WILL set you back around $100k.  
Sure, some enthusiasts will frown upon them, saying they're 'destroying a perfectly good fastback', but it's rare to see a completed one go for less than $80k these days.   She cops a fair bit of flack amongst Mustang fans, I've noticed.

Have you been following Cameron's site, 67mustangblog.com..??  He's had his off the road for over 5 years, doing a very thorough job of his Eleanor.  He would be able to vouch for the pain involved with building one.  

My suggestion...   make friends with a good panel beater/fibreglass kit fitter NOW!!  Huge money involved in that stage, apparently.

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with.  :thumb:

Offline mal67

• Worked
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:24:36 am »
a great looking car, but gees, what a stinker of a movie.....  do they have a "D" grading....? :banghead:

:smile01:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:34:32 am »
There is one in the latest MOCA newsletter, sounds like it has been done properly, asking 150k. Makes me feel a bit better about what I have spent on mine:violin:

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »
Not a fan, like the classic look, but each to their own, I always appreciate good quality cars
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »
Classic Speed in the Phillipines build a nice Eleanor tribute, they sent me a DVD the other day & I must say it was pretty impressive:cool:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline cahop87

• P Plates
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:48:31 pm »
having never owned a mustang i don't think my words count for much but i've always believed that the point of having a classic or modified car was that it was something that represents you and your taste....personally i like both the eleanor as well as the classic fastback....but conversly i dislike shonky eleanors and shonky classics, they are both just distasteful......................would turn one away tho :smile01:

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
Anti Eleanor?
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:13 pm »
I just love "diamonds are forever", that's all...