Shermatt International- The good, The bad and the ugly

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Shermatt International- The good, The bad and the ugly  (Read 64898 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: Shermatt International- The good, The bad and the ugly
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:09 am »
I just paid all my fees. Here it is copied directly from the Brokers:

GST Amount $3100.20
AQIS Service Payment Amount $139.00
AQIS Processing Charge $14.00
Declaration Processing Charge $50.00
AQIS Container Charges $6.00
= Total Customs Disbursement Charges Exempt Rated $3,309.20
+
Destination Port Charges and unpacking (From Schumachers $1,043.65 agent - Universal Customs) +GST $104.37
Customs Clearance / Agency Fees $180.00 + GST $18.00
Quarantine declaration and clearance $75.00 + GST $7.50
AQIS facility fee $75.00 + GST $7.50
= $4820.22

Best to put all this in the following thread:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,10569.0.html

s

Offline Z2TT

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2018, 02:57:12 pm »
Hi Guys.

I used Shermatt to import a car, after some comparison Matt assured me he has a very good reputation with people in Australia and asked me to check out some Forum posts, this was one I remember, so I would post my feedback.

The Good - friendly on phone, inspected the car as agreed, replied to emails about different cars I was interested in and offered advice.  Caught up with seller and made time to inspect.  His ability to negotiate real well with the seller was the best thing about my experience.

The Bad -

Took ages , about 3 months to when the Freighter recieved the car to when it was sent out.  A call to Schumacher Transport later they told me that they were waiting for another car to complete the consignment.  Matt did not advise me on the reason for this delay and Schumacher were the ones who did, they mentioned if I had not enquired, my car could have been staying upto 4 or more months.

To avoid this long delay I had to now pay extra to upgrade to my own container.  Should Matt had let me know about this potential delay I could have avoided it to begin with. 

The Ugly - Delivered the car to Australia without cleaning it, so there was leaves, moths and palm tree fallout still present on there and it got flagged for cleaning.   This video below shows in what condition they sent the car to me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTzPyVgIMWI&t

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »
Delivered the car to Australia without cleaning it, so there was leaves, moths and palm tree fallout still present on there and it got flagged for cleaning.

My car arrived to L.A. covered in dust, the freight truck from Denver to L.A. must've went through a dust storm. The car was spotless in the inspection video so it got dirty on the way.

The mob at the docks in L.A. cleaned my car and did a very good job. When it got to the Aus. docks it got flagged for cleaning and I discovered that many cars do, even the clean ones.

I'm not sure what the criteria is or what they found but apparently they cleaned it and to be honest the guys at the Aus. docks don't do a good job of cleaning it. There was still dirt underneath the car, it sounds like a rort by the Aus. docks to me.

s

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 03:08:19 pm »
I can highly recommend the airport customs guys for cleaning :thumb:

I declared i may have mud some on my boots ... and so they cleaned all of my sports gear and had it looking and smelling like new  :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2018, 04:19:02 pm »
I'm not sure what the criteria is

Someboby's mate needs some extra cash!  :grin:  Cleaning/re-inspection is just one of those 'gotchas' that is applied without rhyme or reason, just if they feel like it on the day.  $170 odd to point a pressure washer at a car for 5 mins is good money in anyone's language.  Plus they don't even try to do a good job of it - the cars that I've had 'cleaned' have still had dried mud on the undercarriage, soil in the tyre treads and bugs in the radiator.  Who are they kidding pretending they are stopping biological hazards entering the country?  :ouch:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:10:17 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
Shermatt is fine ,Schumacher is the problem . They just don't sent enough cars to Australia ,so you have to wait for other cars to be sent ,months sometimes .  As for been dirty when it gets here ,bad luck because once it hits to shipper or the docks it can be outside .  Months late you get the car here ,clean or dirty no big deal as Long as it's In Good shape like it left the states .

Offline Z2TT

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2018, 06:49:20 pm »
You guys are right about customs, Quarantine is the biggest hoax ever.  The same thing happened to me.  They charged $500 and didn't even focus on the areas (mud stuck on wheel wells), and the Fumigation company here in Perth said they also mentioned they do not focus on the area it was flagged for and simply just give it a "general clean"
So yeah probably just aimed a pressure washer at it and let it drip dry.

Unfortunately Shermatt didn't do a good enough job at cleaning it was quite obvious, that palm tree fallout was the same that was seen around the car on the inspection video before the car was bought, mud cant get on the wheel wells by simply going on a truck from coast to coast then to an Industrial area in California. 

Yes Schumacher doesn't send too much cars to Australia by the looks of it clearly but if I were let know of these possible delays it would have saved a lot of headaches.  Bit of more care was definitely needed in this case.    Not my responsibility to chase things up I'm paying people to ensure things are taken care of
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:08:38 pm by Z2TT »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:56 pm »
Shippers don't clean cars they ship them . If it was clean when it went to the shipper that doesn't mean it will get boxed clean . Sure they might give it a quick hose off but that's about it .  90% of cars need a clean when they arrive ,and we pay .

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:37 pm »
We bring lots and lots of shipping containers full of brand new wheels direct from the manufacturer.

We randomly get charged the same cleaning fee you did.

The presence of a few leaves in your car had nothing to do with you getting randomly charged for 'cleaning'.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2018, 09:53:13 pm »
We bring lots and lots of shipping containers full of brand new wheels direct from the manufacturer.

We randomly get charged the same cleaning fee you did.

How the %$# can Customs judge brand new wheels as 'dirty'?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:13 pm »
Dirt & crap on the floor from packing.

Our export orders sometimes get hit with fumigation costs too.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:29 pm »
All it takes is a bit of mud or dirt in the tread .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 08:13:48 am »
Our export orders sometimes get hit with fumigation costs too.

A friend was telling me that everything his company imports gets fumigated. I'm not sure if it was literally everything but they imported new goods to sell.

s

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:38 pm »
Heard and interesting story from a bloke in Brisbane that imports 10 or so cars a year from the states. Having a 66 Mustang flagged to be cleaned at customs they Gernied the engine bay and filled the engine with water as the air cleaner was missing. Then after a buying trip to the states he would personally steam wash the cars and sometimes cut the carpet out in the to bare floors in the US to avoid to custom cleans. One car he purchased was a 67 Mustang that he drove around before shipping. When he got the car back and tidied it up for sale, he removed the seats to install new carpet, he found a 44 cal hand gun wedged under the drivers seat. It took a look of explaining to the local police station when he tried to hand it in. He said it would of been easier to toss it in the bin.
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »
he found a 44 cal hand gun wedged under the drivers seat.

Wow, the mind boggles. Was that gun meant to be intercepted before it got to you and they searched the wrong Mustang or one of the PO's put it there and took that secret to the grave, etc.

s

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2018, 12:34:36 pm »
Approximately 8 or 10 years ago, Government bosses told AQUIS that they had to be self funded.

Hence they now make everything be cleaned, sometimes twice, which results in multiple Inspections and therefore more revenue!.

Have had three inspections on a car that had flock under the back seat, despite telling the PP schoolgirl AQUIS person that it was the old OEM seat padding that kept falling out ever time the seat base was pulled!.
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2018, 01:03:08 pm »
[He removed the seats to install new carpet, he found a 44 cal hand gun wedged under the drivers seat. It took a look of explaining to the local police station when he tried to hand it in. He said it would of been easier to toss it in the bin.
[/quote]

What you call , "A high capacity sump".
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/