Importing a 68' Mustang without Engine/Gearbox/Drivechain

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing a 68' Mustang without Engine/Gearbox/Drivechain  (Read 8810 times)

Offline vinxs

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Vinnie
Importing a 68' Mustang without Engine/Gearbox/Drivechain
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:33 am »
Hi guys!!

Ive fallen in love with a 68', thats currently in Washington, without a Engine/Gearbox & Drivechain , but does come with wheels.

Can someone inform me if i would have any difficultly bringing this in under the "Vehicles Manufactured before 1989 Option" or because its not a complete running vehicle would i be having to cough up more $$$ or less??

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Vinnie

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Importing a 68' Mustang without Engine/Gearbox/Drivechain
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:40 am »
Motor & trans would be much cheaper in the US than here.

Get something fitted over there and then bring it over.

ps. If the car sounds too good to be true, it's probably a scam to tread very carefully.

Offline vinxs

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:20:37 am »
Thanks Dwayne, its been fully restored from the ground up, its basically brand new, matching numbers, marti report, a catalog of restoration photos. But thanks for your advice ;)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:47:10 am »
It can be done but most importers and shippers will hate it or won't bother with it . It makes importing so much harder and they will have to push it or tow it around from place to place so damage will be a huge concern . The extra cost  because it does not drive , just won't be worth it , so find a driver from a dry state , or see what Barnett can come up with . Full resto ? From a rusty state ,so new panels and floor ? .

Offline vinxs

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:08:18 am »
Thanks Glenn!!!

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:34 am »
Speak to Wayne at American West (http://www.americawest.net.au/), not sure if they do East Coast but sure he could give you some tips

He imported mine a few months ago - mine was a runner but I shared a container with a Pantera that wasn't and a half cut/cab on an F100 (and in customers at Freo there were also two non runners for South Africa - GT/Monaro)

As Glenn said, you wont be popular if it needs to be pushed etc, but can be done

cheers

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
Thanks Dwayne, its been fully restored from the ground up, its basically brand new, matching numbers, marti report, a catalog of restoration photos. But thanks for your advice ;)

Does it have a clear title, I have had two non running cars shipped here, no problem there, used these people for both.

https://www.schumachercargo.com/

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:41:51 pm »
Just make sure it comes into Australia as a 'car' regardless of not having a motor etc - ie. get the necessary import approval first. If it comes in classed as parts you won't ever be able to register it.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:09 pm »
Speak to Wayne at American West (http://www.americawest.net.au/), not sure if they do East Coast but sure he could give you some tips

Car is in Washington state, not Washington DC.  It's a Bullitt clone being sold on Ebay by Mainly Muscle Cars: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172970691477

Be very careful you don't overpay for it as these guys are notorious for their high prices.  Last time they listed this one at nearly $35K USD which is way too much for a C code roller.  It will cost something like $10-15K USD to finish it off, so you'd need to pick it up somewhere in the mid to high twenties for it to be even be close to being a good deal.

Import approval shouldn't be an issue but I note from the listing that it no longer has a viable dash tag VIN which may be a problem for you down the track.  From the photos it looks like the driver side rear quarter has a fair amount of filler in it, can't really see the passenger side.

If you are still keen I can put you in touch with a reliable US shipper who can get it out here for you. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:08:42 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline vinxs

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:22:21 am »
Wow!! thanks guys !!!

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:18 pm »

matching numbers, on a car with no engine. what are they matching the numbers to? hopes and dreams?
as mentioned, proceed with caution

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 11:50:31 pm »
matching numbers, on a car with no engine. what are they matching the numbers to? hopes and dreams?
as mentioned, proceed with caution

And as I mentioned, the ad states the dash tag VIN is cactus so that's one less 'matching' number.  I looked at this car potentially for myself and just couldn't get comfortable enough to make an offer.  Hopefully their expectations on price have come down some over the last couple of weeks.

Oh and one more thing: the VIN quoted in the text of the listing is not for a fastback (01 body type instead of 02) although the photo of the fender apron is.  When I contacted Mainly Muscle Cars to ask about the mismatch they pretty much implied I was an idiot.  When I pointed out it was their mistake, there was no apology or recognition they'd stuffed up and I see they still haven't corrected the ad.  Not the kind of people I'd want to be doing business with...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:03:34 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian