My 69 R-code and 66 T-code

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 69 R-code and 66 T-code  (Read 134877 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:24 pm »
I'm so tired, we woke u at 7:30 am Saturday in L.A. and it is now 7:30 pm Monday back in Aus. I only got one hour sleep on the 15 hour flight as well. I'm hitting this backspace button way too much so I'll make a better reply tomorrow. Let's hope I can actually sleep now though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »

Well done Ash - Fantastic car and excellent way that you went about it all.

Think you have earnt a nice long sleep.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline 70 mach 1

• Stallion
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »
Quote from: snafu link=topic=13731.msg141048#msg141048
:agree:  nice ride mate congrats

ditto-what a beautiful car.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 08:42:21 am »
Quote from: Yellow66 link=topic=13731.msg141095#msg141095
Congrats Ash on a sensational Mustang (a bit biased since i just picked up my 69 Mach 1 on Friday).

The wait will be well worth it.

Cheers

Cheers! I can't quite remember, excuse my jet lagged brain, was your 69 the maroon one? I bet your bloody excited now though! How long till it is on the road?

Quote from: ozford link=topic=13731.msg141101#msg141101
Quote from: JimNiki link=topic=13731.msg141069#msg141069

I hate you so much!
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

+ 1 :smile01:
yeh congrats mate. nothing comes without hard work and persaverance. damm a 428....plus rego, insurance, maitanence, petrol etc etc...can i have your job to :thumb:

Hahaha, I'm most worried about this fuel bill. It wasn't an issue in the US as it was $3.07 a gallon. They thought that was bad but that is very cheap compared to here.

Quote from: Ausjacko link=topic=13731.msg141104#msg141104
Ash, great pics and a good stroy thius far. did you head over to the US jsut for cars and do you think it was worth the travel?
Cheers
Ian

We just went over for the car. I had this one lined up after talking to the seller over a 3 month period. I had said I'd buy it after we agreed on a price but we both wanted me to see it and inspect it first before we shook hands on the deal.

It was a huge trip, non stop flying and driving but I am glad that I got to see it, drive it and then buy it. It was also my first time at driving any type of Mustang so that was a experience in itself. As was driving on the R/H side of the road. But one I will never forget.

I did have two other 70 Mach 1 351's in line to look at but had my heart set on the 428. They were all roughly the same price too so it would have been disappointing to miss out on the R-code.

Overall, the trip was very worth it to buy in person. I spent 3 days in the little town the car was at. Went out to lunch twice with the seller and spent some time with him around the place. He was a great guy and helped me out a great deal. He spent one whole day driving us and the car two hours south to meet the truck. He didn't have to do that but he offered to and wouldn't take anything in return.

We also had a couple of days in L.A. while we waited for the truck to arrive in which we hired a 2007 Mustang and a 2010 Dodge truck. That was very cool driving around. And the $99 Garmin GPS I bought was the best $99 dollars spent on the whole trip!
I had to buy an extra luggage bag to carry all the tools, shirts and a few car parts I bought home. I got some great buys in that respect, we really do get screwed on the price of so much stuff!

Quote from: supr-66 link=topic=13731.msg141109#msg141109

So no Vegas........ Shame on you ash..:smile02:

No, we were going to but didn't have the time. We could have squeezed it in but we were stuffed. And after being very disappointed in L.A. we thought Vegas would be an even bigger let down.
My mate is there right now and he is enjoying it though. Would have liked to catch him for a beer but he was flying in when we needed to be leaving.

Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=13731.msg141133#msg141133
Beautiful car.

Can't get over the way they stack the cars on that transporter.
That Rangie looks like it would fall off at the first decent bump.

Glad to see it made it LA OK.

Cheers,
Frank.

That Range rover was only strapped on over the two back wheels. I was very happy when 4 strap were put on mine. I didn't think it was going to happen for a while there though!

And a big thanks to all the congrats from everyone, much appreciated!! :smile02:

And now a couple of Q's. Does any body have an idea of just how many of these would be in Australia?

I've also had to order a pair of Harland Sharp rocker shafts. The engine is only 300 or so miles old and still sorting out teething issues. It broke the standard shaft on the left hand side the day before we arrived. He managed to find some parts to get it back together and running but it needs to have the larger walled shafts put in. Is this a common thing to happen at all? It does have Harland Sharp roller rockers as well.

Cheers everyone!!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:29 am »
Summit Racing sell the Harland Sharp rockers individually.

Should be cheap to ship.

Jegs seem to only have them in sets.

Part # 4005-1 I believe.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:42 am »
Sorry, not sure if you need the rocker or the shafts - looks like the shafts.

I think you mean these :

http://www.jegs.com/i/Harland-Sharp/851/4006S/10002/-1?parentProductId=749542

Jegs has them - dont see them on Summit.

Sorry my my previous post.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:56 am »
This is them on Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-PR4006S/

Jegs seem to be much cheap. On the Harland Sharp site they are about 230 something from memory.

I have them ordered and on their way to the exporter with my car already. They should be there hopefully. The guy I bought the car off ordered them for me through his parts guy and got them and another pushrod for $200US. He posted them on for me once he got them.

I'm curious to know if the standard ones are a common thing to break? The engine is fresh with Edelbrock performer RPM heads, Harland Sharp roller rockers and an Edelbrock 7106 cam with 572 lift. It has the whole  Edelbrock power package with an 800CFM Edelbrock carb.

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »
Hi Ash,

Regarding your rocker arm's, can you clarify if you have standard pressed steel pedestal rocker arms or Harland Sharpe roller rocker's?

You may want check the push rod length and that it is seated properly within the tappet? This will give you an idication that the contact patch from the roller tip is not sweeping off the top of the valve stem during its open/close cycle.

Also, check that you don't have coil bind at full lift and make sure that the spring retainer is not hitting the underside of the rocker (at full lift) as well?

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 06:02:53 pm »
Hey Trans-am,

It had the Harland Sharp roller rockers in it. He had a week before I got there replaced the pushrods with slightly shorter ones as the previous ones were a tad noisy. The new shorter pushrods removed the noise and I was told it was running great.

After he took it for a run, and not a mild one, he snapped the standard rocker shaft and damaged one of the new pushrods. I have a replacement rod coming and the new Harland Sharp rockers shafts with the thicker walls coming when I get the car. They've been ordered and sent to the exporter. No extra freight that way.

As for clearance at full lift, I am not sure. It was a complete power package he purchased from Edelbrock with dressed heads. I'll look into it more when the car arrives but I would hope that that should be fine when buying from Edelbrock.

Cheers!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 11:11:46 am »
There was a little concern from some members here about the angle the shaker was sitting on my car. I was just reading a bit of Barry Rabotnick's book 'How to build Max-performance Ford FE engines'. In it he states

"You can use a shaker hood when running a Performer ROM or a Blue thunder intake manifold although the position relative to the hood opening is a bit different with the RPM."

Well, my car has the Edelbrock power package on it with the Performer RPM heads and intake. Would this possibly be the reason behind the angled back shaker?

I also read that a set of these rocker supports should be used when running a cam with 500 lift or more. This also could be the issue with the broken rocker shaft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/390-427-LR-428-FE-Ford-High-Perfomance-Rocker-Stands-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5b15f3ecQQitemZ190506726380QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Does any body use these, know a quality brand, or if these are good to use?

Oh and the car should be in Aus next Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up sometime soon after that :smile02:

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
Brilliant car. That's my dream car too, but I will be happy with my Black Jade 69 Mach 1. What are your plans with it? Do the bonnet correctly? Concourse or a funday driver? Well done on the purchase. Look forward to seeing it.
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 09:15:26 pm »
Thanks very much boss69hogg!

You should be very happy with yours, your paint and body looks fantastic. Mine looks great from 5m but get up close and it has its flaws. But what's under the bonnet makes up for that!!

All going well, I should have it home on Saturday. Its being quarantine inspected tomorrow.

Plan is to redo the bonnet back to factory colour and refit the side Mach 1 stripes, they aren't on quite straight and that will bug me like anything.

I've also got a new rear window louvre to install. That's mostly to shade the kids though.

Got a few things to sort out with the engine. It's only 300 miles old so there are still teething issues. Then just sit back and enjoy it. I can't wait to take my kids in it. They are only young but they love my cars so they sure will love this one as I've never owned anything remotely like it before.

I'm also looking forward to doing a few charity runs with the odd show appearance. I'm keen to get it to a dyno day as well but later when the engine is well broken in. I've always been the one standing to the side dreaming, guess I can jump the rope now and join in :smile01:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:02 pm »
Here's something I had written up on another forum I use, but thought you guys might like a read as well. It's getting very close to getting here so it's all getting exciting now:yellowpepper:

Sorry if some of it is repeated from earlier posts.

This was our first night in LA, our room overlooking LAX

First thing the following morning flew back out to Houston, Texas. This is the mountain range that Los Angeles is right next to.

Waited in Houston airport for a few hours for our connecting flight. That airport is something else. It makes LAX look tiny and LAX makes Sydney look small.

Grabbed a hire car when we arrived in Alexandria, Louisiana. It was a new Chev Malibu. It was their version of a full sized family car. Pretty close to the size of a Falcon but was front wheel drive. No idea what motor it had in it but driving on the left was weird. Especially with only a handful of hours sleep over the last 3 days. I had no idea what time or day it was. I don't think I've ever been so tired or disorientated.

It was dark by the time we got to the motel and straight away we had organised to go look at the car. We couldn't find the address so we went back to the hotel and got them to call for us. The owner was a great guy, came straight over and picked us up in his Harley Davidson supercharged F150. That was a cool car. His place was only 2 minutes away. We had a good look over the Mustang but it was very dark as we were very tired. So we went back to the motel to grab some sleep.

Woke up to it being pretty damn cold. The week when we left Aus, was the week we had that crazy heat wave. In the US, they had an insane winter storm just before we got there which closed down roads and schools. We missed that but it was still cold.

This is the Chev hire car and the truck was someone else's. They were everywhere. They are like seeing Falcons or Commodores here.

Got out to look at the Mustang again, by this time the fog had lifted and the sun was out.

So off we went for a drive. First time I've ever driven a Mustang, first time I've ever driven a left hand drive manual, and first time I've ever driven a big block and the first time I've ever used a 3000 pound clutch.  I stalled it 3 times. It was like learning to drive again. I kept selecting 3rd instead of 1st and the clutch was just plain heavy. Got the hang of it once I got down the road.

And coming back

I didn't get to give it a real good run as it broke a rocker shaft the day before we arrived. He managed to get another original one of a mate nearby to get it going but also had to put back in the original rockers and push-rods. So it was tapping like a bitch but I have the new parts to sort that out once it arrives here.
Even only running a part of its potential, I have to say, it makes 351's look quite sad. It is nothing but a pure animal.

So made the deal, handed over many many green backs. And went to the local bank to sign over the title. The bank was something else, it was more like a country style house then the McDonald's style banks we are use to. Everyone thought we were weird for flying half way around the world to buy a car. No one could understand our accents.  

We went and had some lunch, the owner took us out. We were soon realising that no-one eats at home. The majority of meals are eaten at diners or restaurants. Everything was deep fried and everything was huge. A small drink, was larger then our large.

That afternoon the owner loaded up the car onto his car trailer. We had to take it 2 hours south to meet the truck which was taking it back to Los Angeles. We couldn't drive it there for a few reasons. The engine wasn't up for it, it only gets 6mpg and it has 3.91 diff gears so sitting on 70mph wasn't going to be nice to a new engine. Also in Louisiana, once a vehicle is sold, the plates have to be handed in and the registration is cancelled. The new owner has to start a new rego and buy new plates. Since we weren't US citizens, we couldn't do that.

The next morning it was foggy again but we left early to make the trip south to Lafayette.

Once we arrived, we had some true Southern food for lunch. Got to eat some boudin balls and some alligator cakes. The meals were once again massive but absolutely beautiful. I loved it, real good home style cooking.

We were only meant to wait about an hour before truck arrived. So we waited in a Walmart carpark until it got there. What a shithole! There were drug deal after drug deal going on about 50m from us in a carwash/servo. But it was like that everywhere. We just sat with the car and waited. A stack of people pulled up to check out the car and take photos. Even over there it was appreciated as a nice car.

4 hours later......  

We only had an hour to get to our plane to fly back to LA. The owner took us to the airport and dropped us off. I can honestly say, he was a truly good guy. He went out of his way so much to help us. He didn't have to take us south and tow the car, didn't have to wait with us for 4 hours for the truck and didn't have to take us to the airport. He wouldn't take anything in return and I've said thank you so many times. There are good people out there and I knew I had a good car from an honest person. He even told my Dad, he wasn't keen to sell it, it wasn't even advertised. But he said he knew it was going to a good home.

So we flew back to LA, via Houston again. One thing about flying in America, is it is much cheaper to take two flights to where you want to go, then to take one. Which of course means where ever you want to go, it takes 3 times as long as you also have to have a period of time waiting for your next flight.
But we arrived late, I think it was 11 and we had already organised a place to stay the next two nights. We thought we try somewhere else to see what it was like. We found a place to stay in West Hollywood.

Well.....  

The front desk was like a night club, lights and doof doof and all. We were [Censored A]ing exhausted and that was the last thing I felt like hearing or experiencing.
Then we got to our room. I picked the boob bed and Dad got the crutch bed. I've never slept under a pair of boobs that big before. The bathroom even had a "for your convenience, oxygen in a can"  What a wank!

The next day we tried to get a hire car, a cab cost 30 bucks or so to go a few blocks and we needed to get out of Hollywood. It truly is a shit hole. I managed to find a Mustang I could get for 3 days so we made our way over. When we got there, apparently the people who had it decided to extend their time with it. Which of course meant there were no other cars to chose from. We walked around for an hour or so and get no where except feeling quite unsafe. So we found a computer at the front desk of a motel and scanned the net again for something else. Ended up finding a place that had a few spare cars so we went there. Apparently there was the Golden Globes or Grammies or some shit going on that weekend so hire cars were mostly booked out.

Managed to get our hands on a fairly new Dodge truck. Had about 20 thousand miles on it and felt like a building to drive, it was huge compared to what we are use to here. But for a V6, it went awesome!! Was really comfy, cruised great and was really smooth. Took a bit to get the hand of parking but was a nice car to drive.

We got the censored A out of Hollywood for the remainder of the day. It was about 4 now and we had been trying to get a car since 10.

We found a Harbour Freight store, its a cheap tool store. We went nuts. I had so much stuff in my hands I had to put things back as it was either too heavy for my bag or I "really" didn't need them.
I got some pivoting head 1/4 and 1/2 inch socket wrenches for $9.99 and $13.99. Awesome quality too! Got a little multimeter for $3.99, a gravity feed spray gun for $24.99 and this 3000 pound electric winch for $80. Will be awesome for my car trailer so it went in the car to go into the Mustang boot for a boat ride home. Got some more hand tools and some clamps and bits and bobs.

We left the store before we we found anything else we didn't need. We cruised around a bit more then grabbed some tea. Had some nice Mexican food, a couple of Corona's and then found the BIG stores. Dad bought a DSLR for about half of what they are here. I bought a Kindle for the wife, some clothes and some ice fishing rods for the kids. They were cool cause they are really short and only $12 each. Everything, anything and everything was cheap compared to here. You could get a 52inch plasma in top brand stuff starting around $299.

Ended up forcing ourselves to head back to the toilet, I mean Hollywood. As the valet was taking our car, we watched some knob in a Ferrari launch his front bumper up on a gutter, nose down, in the rain. It wasn't going anywhere. Some people had to give it a bit of a push to get some traction. Old mate didn't even get out to check the damage, just drove off.

The next morning we made our way towards Vegas. Not to go to Vegas but to go to a Woodworkers place. Don't know if anyone knows who Sam Maloof is but if you do, you know why you would go. his place is historically listed and some of his chairs sold for the 100 thousand dollar mark.
Anyway, his place was amazing. We weren't allowed to look at anything as we dropped in and the next tour wouldn't be until that afternoon. About 10 minutes later they asked where we were from and they said since we came all that way we could tag along with the school group that was just starting their tour. It was amazing, no camera's allowed inside though and we got to go through the workshop which they never allow. For some reason they did today.

After that we headed back. Went to California Mustang on the way. Bought some bits for the new car. Then went to pick up the Mustang, the hire one. It was a 2007 model auto in the V6. It was a bit rough, needed a service and a left hand front wheel bearing. It was cool to get the chance to hire one but it wasn't long until we were regretting giving the Dodge back.

We cruised around a bit that arvo, made our way to Malibu, got stuck in sh#t loads of traffic and then found a Harley store to buy a mate a shirt. It was huge and it was almost knock off time so they weren't real interested in helping some Aussies out.

We got up early and aimed ourselves in the direction of DISNEYLAND, [Censored A] yeah!! We were back staying at LAX which almost made a direct route through some of the major roads but we knew the traffic could be bad, even with 7 lanes or express way. We didn't know an exact time the truck was to turn up but the GPS said it was about an hour to Anaheim so we just decided to make our way and wait for the phone call.

We had a good run and traffic wasn't that bad. I needed to stop and get some cash along the way which ended up taking a few stops to find an ATM. About 10 minutes from the exporters, we got a phone call, "Where are you, you were meant to be there to meet the truck to pay him". We weren't far so we were able to get there to sort it out. A few angry phone calls, not from me, and again in what you would have thought was an English speaking country, more language barriers, we did get it sorted. We were meant to get a phone call from the truck company to tell us a time, we never heard from them. The lady who organised the truck, she was more then helpful throughout the whole process, she hadn't heard from them either. And the truck driver, a mexican who I don't think could speak at all. had no idea who was meant to pay him. Lincoln, who runs the business of exporting from the US side, wasn't there and had bad phone reception, wasn't sure what car it was and said he wasn't expecting it. Lucky we were so close as my car was a bees dick away from being loaded back up and sent away. I paid for the truck, made some calls to sort it out and all was sweet. One phone call from the trucking company would have fixed the situation but they [Censored A]ed up, again.

Here it was waiting.

We had a good chat to Lincoln, was great to be speaking to another Aussie. He was top bloke and again more then helpful. He showed us around and we did the paperwork and had a look at a few of the cars sitting there waiting to go.
These were sitting outside and the blue one was very cool.

Inside there was a 2011 corvette ZR1, brand new. Was very cool. Was getting loaded up that day to come to Aus and my car was going to sit in its spot till it was ready to go. The warehouse was full to the roof, literally so parking space was hard to find. Am just glad it was parked inside and not our where most were.

Before we left we gave it a good scrub. It covered in all sorts of crap from being on the back of the truck.

We then parked it up, said goodbye, and left. Wasn't easy walking away from the car and leaving it there but John and Lincoln Cain both have a very good reputation, along with seeing it delivered myself, helped being reassured it would be ok.

We made our way to Huntington Beach and had lunch out on the end of the pier in this cool 60's rock style cafe. The beach itself was huge and the pier was massive but all pretty bland compared to our beaches at home.
This is it here anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HB_Pier_Photo_D_Ramey_Logan.jpg

The day was getting on by now so we headed back, sat in the bar for a while, had tea then went to bed.

In the morning we headed back to California Mustang to grab a few minor parts along with some shirts and books. Had a bit more of a drive around then went back to the motel to pack, shower up then check out. We had to check out by 3 but our flight didn't leave until 8. There was only 1 bar and very little to do, it was boring as [Censored A]. I drank too much, talked sh#t to another Aussie going home then got on the plane where I would sit for 15 hours. I watched all but 2 episodes of the Underbelly, Golden mile series. Got about an hour sleep throughout the whole trip. Then arrived in Sydney where I was met surprisingly by my wife and two kids. One of the best moments ever, it was my birthday and they both came running over with cards they had made. Best birthday present ever!

Not quite the end as I still don't have my car. But that's the end of the story so far. Hopefully it wont be far away now.

Offline Dad

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
Ash..what an awesome experience.

I'm so [Censored A] ing jealous.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 05:24:26 pm »
ONE MORE SLEEP TO GO ASH!!!!!
IMG

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »
Hahaha, yep I know!! Woo Hoo!!! :smile01:

I could have got it this arvo actually as I got off early but I had to go get the kids instead. Oh well, tomorrow morning I hit the road.

My Mum and Dad went round and saw it. I spoke to the importer as well. Apparently it's running worse then crap. The battery died and isn't holding charge and it missing and farting all over the place. It started doing it just before we left LA. I have a feeling the MSD 6AL got wet when we washed it. Will see tomorrow anyway.

Offline ozford

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »
i'll bet the yank seller now has a lot of storys to tell the other good ol boys about how he sold his car to an ARHssie who spoke with a funny AAKsent.:smile01:
good to see shes finally here. i've heard alot of horror storys where yank sellers refuse to sell once they hear there car will be shipped fo a foriegn country.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 06:56:29 pm »
Ahahaha, you bet. No prarblems :smile01:

We were something else to them that's for sure. Everything we found amazing was a blank look to them, like what the? They were very hospitable though the entire time. No one in their area had ever met an Aussie before and they sure did struggle with out accents.

If anything they couldn't understand why we would travel so far just for a car. I don't think a lot of Americans we spoke to could understand that at all.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
Got it :smile02:

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 08:15:36 pm »
Who's a happy camper now hey :yellowpepper::yellowpepper::yellowpepper:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 09:16:24 am »
Congrats on finally getting her Ash. you must be stoked.  Good read on your trip. I experienced the same when in was in the US in 2006. Some parts of L.A. are plain scary. The food is good but no wonder they are huge when they eat it daily.
Also have to state that John and Lincoln Cain are fantastic.  I have imported 2 cars and truckloads of parts through them and wouldn't use anyone else.  John has been in the game for over 30 years and knows his stuff and will tell you straight.  I have recommended them on this site a few times but people seem to want to save $200 and use someone else when importing a car and end up waiting and waiting.  John has imported both my cars in approx 3 weeks.  Having John's son (Lincoln) over there means you don't have some mexican loading your car.  They are a family business and care about reputation.  Anyway, enough of that, hope you sort out the teething problems quickly and get the beast on the road.
Cheers

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
You're spot on about John and Lincoln, they couldn't have been any better. It cost me $3300 to bring the car back, more then happy with that! Everyone you speak to has something good to say about them and I know they have been based in Newcastle for a long long time. I use to work two doors up from them and loved to see the old cars in and out of the shop.

Now that I have delivered a car myself to the other end, I would happily do it all from this side of the world knowing it is in safe hands.

The car is still on the trailer! Still making clearing the space I have for it. Damn clear shed floor fills up quick every time. I have enough room for 16 cars if I really wanted to, yet can never find anywhere to put anything:banghead:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »
It's in it's new home :smile01:

I've had a couple of decent 351's in the past and only drove this off the trailer today and straight into the shed. But, shit! This thing has some balls. It's just an animal!!!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2011, 07:45:54 pm »
Look just how far back the shaker sits from this shot. I have read that it is due to the Edelbrock Performer intake and John Cain also said this was the case. He said he also compared mine to a Boss that came in the same container and this was the case.

I was thinking perhaps a custom wedge spacer of some sorts to angle the back up?

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 06:28:00 pm »
Nice looking car - odd that the hood stripe is '70 rather than generally blacked out, and that the PO had put Mustang Scripts on the front fenders, but each to their own...

I have thought that the intake manifolds you'd described actually put the carb either too far back, or too high - not at and angle. The car sitting at the angle suggested by the shaker would disrupt the float levels in the carb.

I'd be interested in seeing a few pics fo the motor without the shaker on it for comparison....

You say that the rear ratio is 3.91:! - that's a rare ratio - what does it say on the door tag as the rear ratio, as the standard ratio for an R-Code is 3.50:1. The normal code (from memory is S, a 3.91:1 is V)...

Nice looking car, where are you based?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)