throttle cables and holley carbs and brackets

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: throttle cables and holley carbs and brackets  (Read 2947 times)

Offline roro

• Stallion
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
Hi there,
Im after a bit of advice on setting up my throttle cable on a holley street avenger.
I bought a  3 ft Lokar style cable and a throttle cable bracket (like this one)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Billet-Throttle-Cable-Bracket-Holley-4150-4160-Silver-/300521401855?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f878adff#ht_4376wt_1141

Question is which way should it run? At the moment i have it on the passenger side with the springs at the front . This will work but it seems like a convoluted path with sharp bends for the cable to follow. Wouldn't it work better on the drivers side? Can i rotate the carburetor 180 degrees?
Where do you run the cable ?
Also wanted to know what pedals people have used in their cars? At the moment i am trying to adapt an AU Falcon pedal but it looks as though the cable would need to come through the wheel arch part of the firewall. (ie too far right to just come straight thru the fire wall..... unless i was to weld on some sort of linkage to bring it closer?)
Finally, looking at the holes on the throttle assembly bit ,where the cable attaches,   the return springs are the highest locating.... giving them the most leverage..... shouldnt the cable locate higher on the throttle arm to give it the most leverage and an easier pedal to push?

Thanks for any advice, hope all that makes sense to someone out there.....:huh:

Craig

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
We have 69 Mustang pedals, should do the job nicely.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:07 pm »
I just completed this a couple of months ago. Mine is RHD with some kinda pedal, the cable (XY Falcon)goes thru the wheel well and snakes into the engine compartment along the firewall to the passenger side(LHS). The spring to the front and the cable pulls on the arm above the throttle shaft. The springs are also attached close to the same spot, above the throttle shaft.

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »
Hi roro,

Firstly, the carburettor being a vacuum secondary is designed to run as the factory intended, with the vacuum diaphragm positioned on the back L/H side (you facing the engine).

Vacuum secondary carburetors have vacuum passages built into the body of the carburettor to provide vacuum to the secondary diaphragm, which operates the secondaries when there is enough airflow going through the front primaries.

Regarding the pedal assembly, I used an XC Falcon throttle pedal assembly (which was manipulated a little) with some spacers coming off the firewall. This has brought the cable out just over a 1/3rd of the length along the firewall.

I then had a custom length cable made to suit my CVR throttle bracket, which is more or less the same as the Holley one which you have just purchased.

I chose to have the cable run (or pull from the back) as I wanted to alleviate the cable running from the front (giving the engine bay a cleaner look). The cable does weave and twist a little (however, touch 'wood'), it hasn't broken or jammed in the time of which I've now had it set-up (2 years +).

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool: