Club Permit

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Club Permit  (Read 83247 times)

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »
 Frequently Asked Questions on the Victorian Logbook Club Permit Scheme

Updated 4.2.011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following questions and answers have been prepared by the AOMC Executive from issues and questions raised in general forum with Victoria Police and VicRoads over a long period..

The Title of " Victorian Logbook Club Permit Scheme" refers to a series of changes introduced by VicRoads to take effect on 1 February 2011. The regulations: Road Safety (Vehicles) Amendment (Club Permit) Regulations 2010 under which the Scheme operates, may be downloaded from the AOMC web site in text form. Refer also to the instructions provided with your logbook.

The Victorian Logbook Club Permit Scheme is administered by VicRoads under the VicRoads Business Rules. Victoria Police ensures compliance with the scheme.

Some issues of the Scheme may not be specifically addressed in the Regulations and VicRoads Business Rules and so may be open to the subjective interpretation and consequently fall within a "grey area".

As a consequence, where the interpretation is unclear, the AOMC recommends that the permit holder take a conservative position !!

Given the significant benefits and modest fees, users of the scheme must consider it a privilege rather than a right. Abuse of the scheme could result in far reaching implications to the individual, their club and the Permit Scheme in general, such as:

Fines for driving an unregistered vehicle, or
Loss of your individual Club Permit, or
Loss of your club's authority to operate the Club Permit Scheme, or
Cancellation of the Club Permit Scheme for all enthusiasts.

The introduction of the logbook scheme also places conditions on Clubs and individual club members to ensure the intent of the scheme. To this end, Authorised Clubs have been required to enter into an agreement with VicRoads. In general, the Logbook Club Permit Scheme applies to vehicles 25 years and older with a rolling 25 year year cutoff.

In summary, the Logbook CPS requires that :

- The holder is a financial member of a club,
- The vehicle is safe and roadworthy,
- The vehicle is not used for commercial purposes
- A logbook entry is made if the vehicle moves more than 100 metres from the vehicle's garage address.

Note a "day" in a logbook entry is from 12 midnight to 12 midnight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. May I use my Club Permit Vehicle for a family wedding?
A. Yes, the logbook requires an entry. Note that a CPS vehicle cannot be used for hire or reward hence a regular business in wedding transport is not permitted.

Q2. Can I tow a trailer with a Club Permit Vehicle?
A.1 Passenger car or derivative (see also Q.33):

Yes, subject to normal rules for the registration and towing of trailers eg. weight, coupling, lighting, speed limits etc. If a towed trailer obscures the number plate of the towing vehicle there is a requirement that the registration number of the towing vehicle is displayed by painting or otherwise on the rear of the towed vehicle. Trailers owners are also able to order  a “Trailer Exempt” plate from VicRoads. (Revised 1.2.11)

A2. Commercial vehicle (truck) , see Q3 below:

Q3. Can a (semi)trailer be placed on the CPS?
A. Yes. A heavy trailer (semi trailer, dog trailer etc) can be listed as a CPS vehicle in its own right providing it meets the 25 year rule and roadworthy requirements. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q4. Can a learner driver operate a Club Permit Vehicle?
A. Yes, subject to the normal rules for learner drivers.

Q5. Why have I not received a renewal notice for my Club Permit vehicle?
A. It is permit holder's responsibility to ensure a permit is renewed. The Club Permit Scheme is stored on a separate computer system to the general VicRoads data files and hence if you should change your address for a fully registered vehicle, or a Driver's Licence, then a separate advice is still required for a Club Permit vehicle.

Q6. Can a modified vehicle be used under the Club Permit scheme?
A. Yes, provided the vehicle is in a safe condition. In some cases an Engineer's Certificate might be required. Note that the CPS must not be considered a method of driving an unsafe or unroadworthy vehicle.

Q7. Under what conditions may I test my Club Permit Vehicle?
A. It is the owner/driver's responsibility to maintain the vehicle in a safe condition. A logbook entry is required for any testing or "exercising" of the vehicle, where the vehicle is operated more than 100 m from the listed garaged address. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q8. May my mechanic (repair garage) test drive my vehicle?
A. Yes. A logbook entry by the driver will be required for any testing of the vehicle.

Q9. May I drive my Club Permit Vehicle interstate.
A. Yes. But note that at this stage Western Australia may still require a separate WA permit for travel in that state ? (The new Logbook CPS is yet to be clarified)

Q10. Our club has a display day at a Swap Meet. May I carry a load of spare parts in my Club Permit Vehicle to sell at the Swap Meet?
A. No. Club Permit Vehicles must not be used for carrying goods for hire or for personal or business gain.

Q11. My CH number plate has been damaged. How can I replace it?
A. Duplicate number plates can be ordered either by contacting VicRoads Telephone Information Service on 131171 or by presenting the damaged plate, and evidence of identity at a VicRoads’ Customer Service Centre. A fee will apply for the replacement plate(s).  (Revised 1.2.11)

Q12. Can I have two garage addresses listed for my CH plated vehicle?
A. Legislation and VicRoads rules stipulate only one address however you may have the vehicle garage address different from your residential address (and for service of notices).

Q13. I want to put my bike rack on my CH vehicle, can I get another small bike plate for the rack?
A. Bike rack number plates are available for club permit vehicles.

Q14. Can a Club get a list of owners of CH vehicles in their club from VicRoads?
A. A statement has recently been added to club permit applications and renewals, authorising VicRoads to provide information to the clubs about vehicles linked to their clubs through the club permit scheme. (However, VicRoads will not be in a position to provide that information to the clubs until all permit holders have signed the authorisation over the next 12 months.) (Revised 1.2.11)

Q15. What are the limits to modifications permitted to CH vehicles?
A. Vehicle Standards Information publication (VSI 8), available from the VicRoads book shop, provides guidance. Heavily modified vehicles may need an Engineer's Certificate.

Q16. Can I sell my vehicle with CH plate and can the CH plate be transferred to the new owner?
A. Yes provided the new owner is a member of the same club and the plates will be re-issued for the same vehicle. The vehicle will need to be re-permitted to the new owner by submitting a new application, safety inspection or Certificate of Roadworthiness and the appropriate fees. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q17. Does the driver of the CH plated vehicle need to be the permit holder?
A. No.

Q18. Can L plate or P plate drivers operate a RHD CH plated vehicle?
A. Yes, but note that the vehicle insurers may impose restrictions on drivers of vehicles less than 30 years old.

Q19. Can L plate or P plate drivers operate a LHD CH plated vehicle?
A. A. Yes, but as the driver's visibility may be restricted, caution should be exercised. Note that the vehicle insurers may impose restrictions on drivers of vehicles less than 30 years old. (Revised 1.2.2011 and 21.10.2011) Updated****

Q20. I belong to two clubs authorised to operate the Club Permit Scheme. My CH plated vehicle is recorded by one club. Can I have another 90 day Logbook issued through my other club?
A. No, only one Logbook per vehicle! A member of more than one club may have various vehicles listed with certain clubs but dual listing of a vehicle is not permitted.

Q21. Our club is authorised to operate the Club Permit Scheme. We have original vehicles over 25 years old on the scheme. We also have members with replicas of these vehicles that were made only 5 years ago. Can these replicas operate under the CPS?
A. Yes, provided the replica is of a vehicle originally manufactured at least 25 years ago.

Q22. Can I park my CH plated vehicle in the street on any day when it is not used?
A. Yes, but this would require an entry in the logbook. You may temporarily "shuffle" CPS vehicles in and out of your property up to a distance of 100m without need for a Logbook entry. Note that if you were to leave your vehicle parked in the street more than 100m from its garaged address for a number of days then this would require a logbook entry for each day! (Revised 1.2.11)

Q23. I purchased my vehicle unregistered and in pieces. What paperwork is needed to put my vehicle on the Club Permit Scheme?
A. Firstly, refer to the Club Permit Scheme handbook for the general requirements of the CPS.
You must have:
- the CPS Application Form completed and endorsed by the duly authorised officer of your club confirming that you are a current member.
- personal ID and evidence and that you own the vehicle.
- a current Roadworthiness Certificate or Club Statement of Safety.

You should also have:
- proof that the vehicle was previously registered or club permitted in Victoria eg. registration certificate or CP. If the vehicle has not been registered or permitted in Australia, and the vehicle was imported after 1989, then Import Approval and Customs Import documents identifying the vehicle need to be produced.

If you cannot supply the previous registration details but are certain that the vehicle was registered in Australia then it is recommended you provide a formal Statutory Declaration attesting to the information (including registration, engine and chassis numbers where possible). The results of an Engine Number search of the AOMC Engine Number Records for Victoria might be useful.

Generally, as with other VicRoads permits, there should be no need to present the vehicle for inspection at the time of applying for the Club Permit but in the event of dispute you should be able to have the vehicle available for either a VicRoads or VASS inspection. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q24. I have a bus on the CPS. May I use it to carry passengers ?
A. Commercial vehicles (including trucks & buses) are not permitted to carry goods for hire or reward. It is permissible to carry club member vehicles to events free of charge. Note that if a bus (including a CPS vehicle) carries 12 or more passengers plus driver it comes under Bus Regulations which require annual inspections by authorised inspectors. The owner of the vehicle may also have insurance responsibilities as part of "The Duty of Care"

It should also be noted that some heavy vehicles are subject to heavy vehicle fatigue laws, regardless of whether they are carrying a load or passengers for hire or reward.  The operator of a heavy vehicle that is defined as “fatigue regulated heavy vehicle” is required to complete a “work diary” as well as the club permit log book when the vehicle is in use.
A heavy vehicle is a fatigue regulated heavy vehicle if it is any of the following—
           (a)  a motor vehicle with a GVM of more than 12 tonnes; or
           (b)  a combination with a GVM of more than 12 tonnes; or
           (c)  a bus.
(2)  However, a heavy vehicle is not a fatigue regulated heavy vehicle if it is any of the following—
           (a)  a tram; or
          (b)  a motor vehicle that—
                (i)   is built, or has been modified, primarily to operate as a machine or implement off-road, on a road-related area, or on an area of road that is under construction; and
               (ii)      is not capable of carrying goods or passengers by road; or
(c)   a motor home.. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q25. I attend various car shows and displays on behalf of my employer. My vehicle is on the CPS and is displayed with advertising at the Trade Stall of my employer.
A. The “no commercial use” requirement refers to carrying loads or passengers for commercial gain. VicRoads policy does not prohibit vehicles being painted and operated, or used as static advertisement, to promote a business. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q26. I have purchased an unregistered 26 year old LHD vehicle from overseas. What paperwork is needed to put my vehicle on the Club Permit Scheme?
A. See answer 23 above.  Also, if there is no evidence of the vehicle previously being registered in Australia, then you may be required to supply an Engineer's Report attesting that it meets the relevant Australian standards. The vehicle may need to be presented for inspection at VicRoads.

Q27. Our club has signed an agreement with VicRoads to operate under the scheme. It requires that the club advise VicRoads of unfinancial members. Does this mean all unfinancial members or only those with CPS vehicles?
A. Only those unfinancial members with CPS vehicles managed by your club.

Q28. Under our present Club consititution unfinancial members do not cease to be members until after 3 months from the end of the club's financial year. When must we advise VicRoads?
A. In the above mentioned example at the end of the financial year plus 3 months. However as some clubs may have differing rules in relation to membership, VicRoads needs to be notified when the club concerned considers the permit holder to no longer be a club member. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q29. I used to operate a transport business. I have since retired and the company has been wound up. I have retained some of my early trucks which are still sign written with my company name. Can I keep the signage on the vehicles if they are on the CPS?
A. Yes, see answer 25 above. (Revised 1.2.11)

Q30. Are annual roadworthiness inspections of CPS vehicles required?
A. No, VicRoads do not require annual roadworthy inspections. Clubs may carry out annual inspections as a condition of membership.

Q31. Who is to be responsible in our club for managing our club permit vehicles?
A. In the first instance, your club Committee is responsible. It is recommended that the committee appoint a "Registrar" or "Permit Officer" who shall be authorised to sign off new club permit applications and renewals confirming the applicant is a financial member of the club. He shall also keep records of those vehicles on the CPS in the club that can be audited, if so requested by VicRoads. The signature(s) of those club official(s) authorised to sign off on a club permit must be registered with VicRoads.

Q32. Why must our Club Permit Officer sight the Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) or club Attestation of Safety for a new application for a club permit?
A. This is intended to preclude the possibility of an applicant submitting a false Attestation of Safety to VicRoads (where a vehicle might not otherwise pass a RWC).

Q33. Must my trailer be fully registered when towed by a CPS vehicle?
A. Reference to a VicRoads leaflet (12-91) on trailers states:

The Road Safety Act requires most trailers to be registered to be allowed on public roads. Exceptions to this are: small trailers which are not boat trailers and are not used for commercial purposes, and which weigh less than 200 kg unloaded, are less than 3.0 m overall length (including any load) and are narrower than the towing vehicle. All trailers must have a number plate on the back. Trailers not registered with their own plate must use the number of the towing vehicle. (New 2.2.11)

For any further questions regarding our Club Permit Scheme you should contact either Graham FOLWEL (9752 9081), Craig McKENZIE (0417 561 246) (edit) or Joe BORG (9743 7438)West suburbs who are our Club Permit Scheme officers.

Please contact them if you wish to have a vehicle inspected.   Prior contact and booking with them will save you time and any confusion.  

“Previous contracts between the club and yourself, prior to 1st Feb, 2011 will need to be updated and new contracts signed by vehicle owners to remain in the new scheme.”

Thanks

Mac

:comp:

Offline D0ZX

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:12:45 pm »
Sounds like a bit of a PITA. Cheap insurance and rego but I would think it would be better to pay full rego and do what you want with hit.

I can't really say though, as I'm still looking for that mach 1

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »
Just bringing this back up again to save any emails.......

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
Club Permit
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »
Hey Macka

Maybe worth while reposting this one under the Vic section as well.

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Club Permit
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:22 pm »
Macka,

Do you know what is involved in going from full rego to a club permit ? Between the Mustang and the Galaxie I would save $1000 per year and would still have 180 driving days between the two.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
Club Permit
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:18 am »
FRank

It is my understanding that you'll need to obtain a Roadworthy for both cards, then obtain the club permit scheme form from Vic Roads before taking the cars to the Club's Permit scheme officer from inspection and then finally submitting all paperwork to Vic Roads

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Club Permit
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:48 am »
Thanks Herman.

I was hoping I didn't need a RWC since the cars are on full rego currently. I might give Vicroads a call.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Troy_H

• Worked
    • Melbourne
Club Permit
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »
Frank,
I have just signed up for the Club rego, I had full rego but still required a roadworthy.  As part of the scheme I believe you can get a scrutineers report from a club but this would require MOCA to provide assurance that your car is roadworthy (not saying it isnt, but its lots of reposnsibility on the scrutineers).

Having spoken to other people from differnent clubs, fewer clubs will put their name to a report these days.  
Road worthy is a quick and easy way to prove the car is fit for the road and is easy for the club to process.

It was a pretty easy process, thanks to Macka. Haven't used the car since but it all seems easy to live with.  I only went for 45 days book, seems plenty to me at a little under 4 trips a month.  My full rego was really an annual donation for Vicroads, the $65 paid now is realistic for the amount I use it on the road.  Ill pocket the $600 and do other things.

Process is Roadworthy - Club Permit form to the club (downloadable on Vicroads website) - submit the paperwork to Vicroads - cancel your old rego.  Easy as.
Troy

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Club Permit
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:41:46 pm »
Thanks Troy.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »
Frank:  

Thanks to the boys for the info and praise.

It is a pretty easy process and after we have done your inspection (to prove to VicRoads that it is the car that the club is sponsoring) the paperwork is all signed off by us and then its up to you to take the paperwork to VicRoads and pay the money.  The forms are downloadable prior to your inspection and once done there is no need to produce the car at VicRoads or to make an appointment.  They supply the plates there and then.  The only thing we need to know then is your new plate number so that we can include it on your contract you make with the club that you will only drive it under the conditions of the permit.   Which can be up to either 45 or 90 days of the year and the log book is filled out prior to commencing any days usage.

Its an easy system and well worth it if you drive your car less than 90 days in a year.

:thumb:

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 05:03:11 pm »
Does anyone need an inspection done at the meeting tomorrow night?  18/5/2011....

Offline TimR67

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »
I will have a chat to you tomorrow night, Im thinking I might go this way rather than full rego, that is if my convertible ever gets finished.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 05:35:06 pm »
Tim, no worries...  :thumb:

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »
A reminder in relation to the Club Permit Scheme and being a member of a club.  

If you do not renew your membership and you are caught driving your car whilst not a current paid up member, the Permit for the car can be deemed invalid and you can be done by Mr Plod for driving an unregistered car.

Memberships are now due, so please make sure they are paid.

Thanks.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
Club Permit
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »
Hi there,I am from NSW and was thinking how could we
implement this great Club Permit Scheme in NSW?It is more flexible than what we have now.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:21 pm »
So can P platers drive LHD fully rego'ed vehicles in Vic?
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Club Permit
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:05 pm »
No. Only a fully licenced driver may drive a LHD CH Plated vehicle. (All LHD vehicles may only be driven by only a fully licenced driver). (Revised 1.2.11) 

Edited....  L and P platers can drive LHD cars.  P platers are restricted to 6cyl and non turbo and supercharged vehicles.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:55:13 pm by Macka »

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:26 am »
Quote from: thebirdman68 link=topic=13658.msg155226#msg155226
Hi there,I am from NSW and was thinking how could we
implement this great Club Permit Scheme in NSW?It is more flexible than what we have now.

I agree Birdman. It would be great if we could get something like this going for NSW
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:53 am »
Macka,

Just wanted to say .... Excellent effort mate.
Keep up your great effort for this scheme..:thumb::thumb:

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
Club Permit
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 05:57:10 am »
so to go from full rego to the club permit ill need a RWC and the club to sight the car?
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline gt350 coupe clone

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 07:49:01 am »
this all still seems worth it saves you $$
Can't wait to get it finished and enjoy it ! They need to have overhaulin here in Aus!!

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Club Permit
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:47 am »
Quote from: Macka link=topic=13658.msg155232#msg155232
No. Only a fully licenced driver may drive a LHD CH Plated vehicle. (All LHD vehicles may only be driven by only a fully licenced driver). (Revised 1.2.11)

The RHD vehicles must be a 6 cylinder version also for P platers.  (No turbos or superchargers)   .......  L PLaters can be taught with any size, but must be supervised.

hi Macka.
I actually rang Vicroads to ask this same question and they say a P plater can drive a LHD car.
I was pleasantly surprised I must admit.
Cheers,
Frank.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Club Permit
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:07 am »
Frank, AOMC also say that only a fully licenced driver may drive a LHD vehicle.
It may be you have been given incorrect info.
Other car club officials/members have also said to me that P platers are not able to drive LHD vehicles.
I have a friend who is keenly interested in this fact and his clear understanding is that your info is incorrect.
Hope I am wrong but ?????? Good luck.

I think you will find insurance is a bit of an issue too!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline dalex

• Worked
Club Permit
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:46 am »
I talked to VicRoads last week and was advised that a Learner can drive the LHD ok.

I did not ask about the Probationary, but I  am sure I had read somewhere it is not allowed.

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
Club Permit
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
Hi Guys, reading some of those questions and answers I would be in trouble as if you play by the letter of the law then its over a Km to my front road gate and I drive around the roads here also with this question 26 they cost about $800 so where is the fun in that and with the old scheme you could drive around this country and take six months now that could not happen again... this is just the base of the pyramid as I see it because when they audit the books is a few years time it will show that you only drove the car 60 to 90 times in one year and some other clubs used it 20 times so they (the Vicroads and other states) will say that you do not need that many days so 20 or so will be taken off and it will decrease as the time moves on till there are no old cars on our roads only hybrid plastic junk..Rg