People to inspect your Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: People to inspect your Mustang  (Read 5022 times)

Offline hugokingo

• L Plates
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »
Hey everyone!

Might be a stupid question but Im new to the world of importing.  

Im looking at buying a '67 coupe from California and getting shipped here and was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that can inspect the car for me and tell me whether it'll be a good buy as I cant get over there myself.

Any advice?

Cheers.  :thumb:

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »
IMO, if you are new to Mustangs, why not consider buying your 1st car locally?
If you must import a car, make sure it's from someone who you can trust implicitly.
Many people have imported their car after getting excellent reports and pics sent only to find out that their car is actually a minefield of rust and bog.
There are quite a few regulars on this forum who would help and can be trusted.
Do your due diligence on this as another import disaster seems to never be all that far away.
It might help, to actually tell us where you are from, as well.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »
Contact Ken from the forum. He's up that way and may be able to help

Matt

Offline hugokingo

• L Plates
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »
Great thanks guys.

Im from Sydney and more than happy to fly anywhere nationally.

Ill keep up the hunt!

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
I was going to chase up ken for west coast or shermatt for east coast as I'm confident they are trust-worthy , but by chance , a local one came up for me not 40 mins. drive from home at a bargain price. Take your time & good luck with the chase.
p.s. even locally , make sure yourself or someone very trusted/knowledgeable inspects in person as scams are common! ( I went through three , caught on quick & it was obvious that "if it looks to good to be true , it usually is" adage is true.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline donoauto

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 06:47:31 pm »
Oh yeah , look up sean @ bosskraft.com.au . He's on here but also he's got his website. He may have something of interest locally.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline Martini

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:11 am »
Ive mentioned this in previous posts, but Ive heard of horror stories even if you pay for an inspection over there. So that leaves you with two alternatives. Buy something local or fly over yourself and inspect a handful of cars - thats what I did. You only need three days in the US and if you're organised you'll see 6-8 cars in that time. Flights are very cheap at the moment. Just do your homework first and you'll be fine.

Not only will you learn a lot by doing this, Im sure you'll save yourself $$$$. With our currency being equal parity and the US economy in the state it is, you may snare a very good deal.

Importing is easy!!! Just be patient as you need to find your car, apply for a import licence & arrange your shipping agent.....simple. Im in Sydney as well and can put you in touch with a reputable person in US and introduce you to a freight forwarded I use frequently in Sydney. Why pay a middle man when you can do this yourself?

However if that sounds too difficult, then there are many locals that can source vehicles on your behalf, but then its only fair that they put a margin on for their efforts.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:00 am »
I got a great 66 coupe for sale.........:thumb:......no hassles, no waiting, drive it home:thumb:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline hugokingo

• L Plates
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »
Thats a massive help, thanks a lot Donoauto and Martini.

I just looked up flights and they are cheap as! Return for $1200.  Definitely think Im going to head over.  

Seems clear patience is going to have to be my best mate!

Thanks again.

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »
For my two cents worth you are a  bit optimistic to think you could fly across and just find a good car quickly. I took a few months before I found a car when I was living in Texas, and looked at about ten.  Flying across would be more the action to take when you are ready to pull the trigger on one.

There has been some good vehicles locally lately and like donauto you may find one on your doorstep.

Offline Martini

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »
Quote from: dalex link=topic=13652.msg140479#msg140479
Flying across would be more the action to take when you are ready to pull the trigger on one.

There has been some good vehicles locally lately and like donauto you may find one on your doorstep.

Dalex is right. In my case I was ready to buy, but I also did a lot of homework. Look locally first as you may find what you want here. If not, then dont let the thought of travelling scare you.

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:45 am »
Like Dalex and Martini, I searched for a long time before I found the car I was looking for. You have to exercise patience and do the ground work.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »
patience is key when looking for the right car.

if youre not, :cry:

patience is a word I use atleast 5 times a day to any of our clients and a word that pays off in the long run

For those that aren't, we refund there deposit after a few weeks in full and say laterz. Sounds unfair but no matter how much you try to educate them, it just seems a lost cause. (this comes from experience)

Befoe you jump on a plane, ask the seller for some pics/vids info...whatever you can get. Post it on the forum, ask someone in the know if the car stacks up and get there opinion and hunt around for a few more in the same area so your not wasting your time and money just looking at one car.

We have done many inspections on cars that look ti7s in the photos but once we have inspected them I have rang the buyer and told him that Im shi7canning the car and that I wont purchase it for him/her.

Sounds bad as we have just wasted time and money for flights but it allways pays off in the end and the
patience finally does. A week later something better for less comes along and you look back and larf about it

Matt

Offline waz_j

• Pony
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=13652.msg140642#msg140642

Hi All - new to the forum

hugokingo - I was in your position about 4 months ago when I first contacted Matt.  He and Sheri have been looking for a 68/69 convertible for me since beginning of October.  There's been a few that looked OK in the ads but Matt steered me away from them and counselled patience.  There's been a couple that looked great and one that he inspected but it turned out to be less awesome than advertised :cry:

That inspection cost me a small amount of cash but saved me a large amount of heartache.  Matt and Sheri were as disappointed as I was that the car wasn't up to scratch but there's always a silver lining. Only one week later and they found a brilliant 68 S code convertible in great condition and at a great price.  I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wait for it to get here but I know the wait will be worth it :smile01:

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 12:13:53 am »
Transporter rang yesterday at 2pm telling Sheri that he would be there at midnight...hes just leaving now

Originally it was going to be between 6pm and 10pm....but midnight.... F that!!

Car arrives here at 9am so I will get you some more video to make you happy

Hey, I get the "waz" bit but whats with the "_j"  as in waz_j ????

matt

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:02 am »
Quote from: waz_j link=topic=13652.msg140647#msg140647
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=13652.msg140642#msg140642

Hi All - new to the forum

Only one week later and they found a brilliant 68 S code convertible in great condition and at a great price.

Excellent find a 68 S code Vert you would have to happy with that.
Post some pic and also what state are you in (and i don't mean p#ssed):rub:
If life gives you lemons make lemonade

Offline waz_j

• Pony
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=13652.msg140905#msg140905

Originally it was going to be between 6pm and 10pm....but midnight.... F that!!

Aww... c'mon Matt what do you need sleep for anyway :twist:

Car arrives here at 9am so I will get you some more video to make you happy

Yay - can't wait to hear what it sounds like

Hey, I get the "waz" bit but whats with the "_j"  as in waz_j ????

J is middle initial - people have been calling me waz j for years but I can't remember where it started.

Quote from: Chopper link=topic=13652.msg140912#msg140912
Excellent find a 68 S code Vert you would have to happy with that.
Post some pic and also what state are you in (and i don't mean p#ssed):rub:

Hi Chopper - you're not wrong. I'm in the Hills District in Sydney.  I've posted some photos in the Introduce Yourself thread to avoid hijacking hugokingo's thread any more than I have.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 01:29:56 pm »
Hugo buy local and you can see what your getting for your money.Trust me at the end of the day importing will cost you more than you budgeted for in so many ways.

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »
hi waz j

nice find get all your little bits done over winter to be ready to cruise for summer there is 3 main shows in syd for mustangs to go this year vineyard , all ford day , merrylands muster hope to see you there .i see your in the hills district go and see the guys at hills mustangs at 45/45 powers rd  seven hills great blokes , great advice , great prices . :phone: michael 0404 187515 or brian 0408 350650
 cheers tim :drink:
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline hugokingo

• L Plates
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 08:55:16 am »
Cheers Rock65,

Appreciate it.

Hugo.