Importing to Aus

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing to Aus  (Read 4340 times)

Offline 4Lowie

• Thoroughbred
Importing to Aus
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
Hi guys
Moved over here from NZ last year and it looks like we might stay awhile. Good job and all that.... How much trouble would it be to import my 65 and put it on the road in WA? Not sure yet about the cost of shipping, just starting to think about it. Might use it for a bit then sell it and start another project.

Cheers

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Importing to Aus
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »
have you owned it for the last 12 months in NZ 4Lowie?

Im thinkn personal import mate

Matt

Offline ozford

• Worked
Importing to Aus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »
is this your twin turbo beast :omg:

Offline 4Lowie

• Thoroughbred
Importing to Aus
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:03 am »
Yea owned it for over a year back home.

And no the twin turbo never happened, woke up to the fact I could never afford to do it properly!! Ended up building the original 289 into a Boss.

Cheers

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Importing to Aus
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »
Where in NZ are you shipping it out of??  I have a few contacts in the shipping industry in NZ....

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Importing to Aus
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:25:19 pm »
4Lowie

If its a personal import theres a different import approval that you need to fill out mate and quite a consderable amount of documentation that you need to supply to support the application (alot of scanning)

With import approvals taking aslong as they are at the moment, I would down load the form now and get the ball rolling

Matt

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Importing to Aus
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
Do not start shipping the car until you have received the import approval.
I brought my 67 FB & a 260Z over from NZ using Conroy Removals; Akld to Brisbane; 1 x 40ft container with the 2 cars inside plus our personal effects (household goods) on a mezzanine shelf above the Datsun (the Muzzy had the front 1/2 to itself for safety, my preference); excellent service, was very happy indeed with their customer service. Car enthusiasts at both depots helped! So I'd use Conroy again.
However, be sure you understand all the costs involved plus the GST fee on car's value at this end. Do your sums, as in compare selling car in NZ & bringing money over with exchange rate vs what car will owe you or be worth in AUS $ registered on the road; for me it didn't make financial sense, but the fact that we'd need to ship other stuff over anyway plus the heart factor with long term ownership was the way I had to justify it. [My wife also talked me into bringing the recently restored Muzzy, I don't think she could stand the thought of me selling it then finding another one over here & spending yet more years in restoration work; so there's possibly a time factor to consider as well]. Don't forget to allow for compliance costs, I had to upgrade rear seatbelts from lap to lap/sash so extra anchor points were installed to approval. Not a big drama all up, but various costs are involved which all add up. And the NZ-AUS $ exchange rate is worse now that when I shipped.

Offline 4Lowie

• Thoroughbred
Importing to Aus
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »
Thanks mate, those are all thing things I need to start working out. Really it's probably not worth the hassle to bring it over. It was just one of those crazy idea's you have when you're stuck out in the middle of nowhere!!

Cheers

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Importing to Aus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »
If your car is a keeper or a difficult model spec to replace then you might justify the cost; I eventually did but only after many months of deliberation & Akld/Brisbane is simple enough. But if you're already thinking you might sell it then it's just not worth the expense shipping it, especially all the way across to WA. Best to sell it over there & find another over here.