Driving in the USA before delivering to exporter

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Driving in the USA before delivering to exporter  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:30:16 pm »
Hi all,

Newbie to this forum but there seems to be great info here so I thought I'd join up.

I'm off to the States in under 3 weeks to get my first Mustang. I have one organised, I just need to inspect it once I fly in and hand over all those dollars.

What I'm having trouble finding info on is if I can drive it after I purchase it? I would love to drive it across the few states back to Los Angeles. I've been told conflicting bits of information and as usual, everyone has an experience or an opinion.

Can anyone guide me to some correct info or give me any advice? Can I actually get insurance on the vehicle and what happens to the registration once I have the title?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Ash
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline kitreid

• Stallion
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:52:04 pm »
wouldn't you need just an international licence? that's my guess mate .... im sure someone here has done it, or email their 'Vic Roads' equivalent?

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:12:18 am »
I had planned to have that but from other info I've read that is rarely required.

What I'm trying to find out is that when the car is actually mine and in my possession, can I get insurance to drive it?

I was told that possibly the plates would have to be handed in once I have the title therefore making it undrivable .

Cheers

Offline kitreid

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:24 am »
not sure mate....sounds like a great adventure though....good luck!

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:21:26 am »
Depends on what state your buying it from

I can put you in contact with insurance companies that would insure it

what state is it coming from?

Matt

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:26:16 am »
Hi Matt,

That would be great to know, thank you.

It is coming from Louisiana.

Cheers!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:52 am »
This is something I just found on the Louisiana DMV site

Q. What are the requirements when I sell my vehicle?

A. The current certificate of title must be assigned before a notary public by seller to purchaser. We suggest you keep a copy of front/back of title, bill of sale, and any other documents pertaining to the sale. Automobile license plates are not transferable. Remove license plate and surrender to the local Office of Motor Vehicles PRIOR to cancelling automobile insurance or you can notify the Department of the sale by accessing the “Notice of Vehicle Transfer” page and entering the required information.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:28 am »
Ash

gives a call once you get into the US mate (727 364 8707)

I will send you all the documents you will need

I think I can sort your insurance but you will need an international drivers lic.

Make sure you get a scan of your ozzie lic and your international handy on your computer/laptop when you come

If you have a copy of the title, send off for your import approval now even if your not buying it

Matt

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:53:25 am »
Thanks Matt, very helpful advice!

I just returned with a fresh international drivers license.:smile02:

I'm only there for a week. We fly in on the 12th of Feb and return the 19th. I hope this will be enough time to do what we need to do.

I don't have a copy of the title but will try to get that happening. Would be great to speed up the process.

I think I read elsewhere that you are based in Florida? Sorry if that's an obvious question, only just found this forum. But do you ship from Florida? Where do you ship to? I had planned on using an exporter from Los Angeles directly to Newcastle which is very close to where I am.

Thanks again for your help!

Ash

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »
An International drivers licence has not been required in the U.S. for about Twenty years.

Your current Australian State's licence is all that is required, even to rent a car.

Mandatory No Fault Insurance is required in most states and in some states your car can be impounded if caught driving without it.

You can also buy Insurance by the month.

Biggest difficulty is that you will probably need a U.S. address to get the insurance
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:37 pm »
Quote from: Ausfox link=topic=13473.msg139061#msg139061
An International drivers licence has not been required in the U.S. for about Twenty years.

Your current Australian State's licence is all that is required, even to rent a car.

Mandatory No Fault Insurance is required in most states and in some states your car can be impounded if caught driving without it.

You can also buy Insurance by the month.

Biggest difficulty is that you will probably need a U.S. address to get the insurance

Ausfox

To rent a car, that is correct but not to drive your own car if hes planning to drive it across a few states and requiring insurance. He will need his international to obtain that (from the places I know of anyway)

As for an address, Ash lives at my house  :cheers:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:50:56 pm »
Quote from: Shermatt link=topic=13473.msg139071#msg139071

As for an address, Ash lives at my house  :cheers:

I like your style:thumb:

If it is possible it would be great. Still have a few things to sort out and if it is doable too. The car is a 4 speed with 3.90:1 diff gears so I don't think it will be the best cruiser for such a distance. Maybe part of the way at least.

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
Shermatt, Have purchased cars in many states including Michigan, Kansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Colorado, washington, Nevada, New Mexico and after a quick call to my Insurance Broker in San Diego for No Fault Insurance cover, for this I did need a U.S. address, have then gone along with the seller to thier local DMV,  transfered the Title and in some cases registered the car and then Driven to LA, all on a Queensland Drivers licence.

Have been pulled over on many occasions, , booked twice and the Queensland licence has not been an issue.

Attached is a pic of the two cars I purchased early last year for four of us to participate in the Mustangs Across America Run to Birmingham Alabama for the 45th Mustang Anniversary celebration.

Both cars were titled and registered in my name  with a Qld licence. We crossed fifteen states and did 6500 miles.

On the way back to LA we were pulled up by the Highway Patrol near Lake Charles in Louisana, and after showing the officer the Titles, Insurance and QLD licences and explained what we doing, I thought he was going to take us to the nearest bar and buy us a beer.

I have even had my F150 drive truck registered in California to my Queensland address and then had it renewed for three years running, with only a QLD licence.

Going back a bit, I bought a new Yamaha DT250 Trail bike in San Diego in 1979 and registered it along with my $600  1965 6 cylinder Mustang Coupe, ( my first Mustang) and  used them for a year on a Qld Licence.

Last  time I had an  International licence was 1974.

If you are not a Permanent Resident an Australian licence is acceptable.

17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:30:54 pm »
As much as I would like to drive my new car some where after I buy it, time is against me. I am going to need to transport it for part of the distance. How far that distance is I am not too sure. It could be half, it could be 90%. I wont know for sure until I am there and seeing how things flow.

Can anyone direct me to a transport company they have used or know of that are very very good. I've done the get 10 quotes from 10 unknowns and some of the reviews I have read about them are simply frightening. I'm really going to need one that will be there on time no matter what. Some are saying 1-4 days either side of the date given. That just wont work.

Does anyone have any places I can email?

Cheers!