Gear Vendors OD unit

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Gear Vendors OD unit  (Read 2771 times)

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:36:37 pm »
I seem to recall Derwin66 fitted one of these. Just after some feedback on how it goes & if its a good investment. From Derwin or anyone else that has tried them.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Here's how to install them.  I think a subsequent readers feedback did say there were some minor mods needed on a 64-66.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1004_gear_vendor_overdrive_installation/index.html

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:00 pm »
Thanks Bee, I am more looking for what people think of them performence wise. Basicly if you had your time over would you do it again. Do the gains outweigh the cost etc.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »
I love it.  Landed cost about $3G and about $100 to modify the exhaust a little.  I have 3.55 rear diff with 14 inch wheels and it dropped my revs by about 600-800 on the highway which was what I was after.  You can switch it off if you want and put it on manual.  The only thing is for a 65-66 you need to buy a elbow with the unit to fit the speedo cable or you have to bend it and it will break pretty quick.  The gear changes work off  a solenoid on the cable so that would be real bad.  

I must admit I fit it in December and with the weather up here I have only driven it a couple of times, but so far so good.  I did my sums with an AOD and by the time I got the box here, tricked it up, bought all the parts to fit it, I found it was going to be more expensive and with the risk of it being a clusterf%^&.  I had a good C4 so this was a no brainer for me.  
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline cap70

• Worked
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00:48 am »
Wouldn't it have been cheaper and less hassle to change the diff gears ? I changed from 3.55 to 2.89 in the xw i had and that was a great cruiser without loosing to much on take off

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:49 am »
sorry cap70.   you dropped from 3.55 to 2.89 with no launch loss.  (wheres the bullsh*t icon)

3.55 - 3.80 and 14 inch is the optimum set up for GV, unless you get them to build you an underdrive unit.

I am watching threads on the subject on multiple forums, and so far i have seen nothing bad.  Worst would be some fitting issues, but those were from muppets with no clue so they don't count.

From what i have seen/read, if the need arised i would not hesitate to fit a GV unit.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:05 am »
I have 4.11s and considering a GV or 5-speed conversion. Still deciding ...

Have sent 3 emails to Keisler engineering in the US about their Tremec conversion , but had no replies ... looks like they are off my list...

Anyone deal with Keisler ?

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:05 am »
I changed to 3.55 for more launch, I had 2.79 and it was good for the highway and that was it.  My car is a resto mod and money isn't the issue I want my car to go fast in a straight line and still be streetable so the GV was the option that best suited my needs.  You do need to massage the tunnel a little but not very much and it is not noticable.  Oh, and I forgot to mention you need to shorten your tail shaft as well.
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=13378.msg138101#msg138101
I have 4.11s and considering a GV or 5-speed conversion. Still deciding ...

Have sent 3 emails to Keisler engineering in the US about their Tremec conversion , but had no replies ... looks like they are off my list...

Anyone deal with Keisler ?

Cheers,
Frank.

Hi Frank...Muzzy67 if you remember him! He has a keisler box. luvhev

Also I am fitting one to my effie to the C6.luvluvhevhev:bolt:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:45 am »
Thanks Hev !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 04:16:02 pm »
Thanks Derwin, I bought the AOD & the conversion to suit the 390. I am having sleepless nights thinking I have done the wrong thing. My original plan was GV & a C6, then the AOD came up & I jumped on it. Sometimes the first thought is the best one. May have to revisit when the funds recover from all the other crap i have bought:hammer:

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »
Steve maybe a thought is to fit a 4R100 then it can be intergrated into your compueter program, they are 4 speed OD electronic controled box, Joe at A class automatics will rebuild it for you,Mega strong box, I know American drive lines in Melb has them, Maybe even Ebay!
Luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:37:54 am »
Been thinking about that too Hev, probably need to get my finger out & have a chat to Joe at A class & see what he reckons.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:13 pm »
It will work and they are desighed for lots of punishment.
luvhev

Offline cap70

• Worked
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 01:12:50 am »
Quote from: jas24zzk link=topic=13378.msg138098#msg138098
sorry cap70.   you dropped from 3.55 to 2.89 with no launch loss.  (wheres the bullsh*t icon)

3.55 - 3.80 and 14 inch is the optimum set up for GV, unless you get them to build you an underdrive unit.

I am watching threads on the subject on multiple forums, and so far i have seen nothing bad.  Worst would be some fitting issues, but those were from muppets with no clue so they don't count.

From what i have seen/read, if the need arised i would not hesitate to fit a GV unit.

havent been on for a while, i didnt say no loss just not much the xw had a c4 and with the 3.55 it was changing to 2nd almost straight away, with the 2.89 it held 1st longer and seemed a much smother change. was also much better on the freeway.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Gear Vendors OD unit
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 07:30:45 pm »
Hey s Steve I seen Joe today and he reckons your gunna have dramas with the AOD, But since your running a computer an 4 speed electronic auto will handle more power than a Hyrdo AOD every day. Luvhev