Prices appear to be dropping...?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Prices appear to be dropping...?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline pala

• Worked
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:44:50 pm »
Does that mean with whats happening with the dollar  our cars here have lost value

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:55:15 pm »
No, never, nicht, not, negative, no way, naught, nein, nil .............
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:15:04 pm »
Our cars are worth just as much today as they were yesterday or six months back.  We buy and sell in Aussie Dollars so all is relative.

What has happened now lets us go to the US and buy a hell of a lot more for our bucks.  Spare parts, whole cars and trips all become far more appealing ... I am off in April if my plans come true.  

I figure the parity of the dollar is pretty good and worth converting a few dollars into the greenback.  The Aussie will continue to rise (or more accurate, the US dollar will continue to drop) until Mr Obama stimulates the economy some more and brings it back to reality.  The big question is when will it stop and when it does, how far back down will it go?  Our farmers and export markets will be praying for that to happen!

Sheesh, it is all too much so, just go buy that dream car now as it is 25% cheaper than when the $A was at $US0.80c - and that is on top of the drop in values in the US caused by the GFC when the toys had to be sold off.

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:22:56 pm »
There will be some who believe that with the parity of the Aussie dollar, it may be more economical to import from the US.
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline pala

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:01 pm »
my thoughts exactly

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:35 am »
Quote from: pala link=topic=12569.msg131975#msg131975
my thoughts exactly

YES - the dollar will stall the local market
YES - more imports will hit the streets
YES - its a bad time to sell ( local v USA imports )
But you know Pala, importing a car is a pain in the neck. Im an end user ( not an investor or big time car dealer ). The one car that I imported was a bit nerve racking, heaps of hurdles to jump over and seemed to take for ages.
Im not sue I would do it again.

If you're not in it to make a buck then dont worry about it. Things will soon swing back in our favour as the quality of cars coming in from the US is a bit ordinary and some guys are still asking top dollar for them.

AKA Emberglo-66

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »
Greedy local sellers will have to drastically reduce their prices if they want to sell. There are some stupid prices people are asking for their coupes & fastbacks on carsales.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »
Quote from: pala link=topic=12569.msg131942#msg131942
Does that mean with whats happening with the dollar  our cars here have lost value

Well, everyone thinks that their car is a big dollar item.  Your car may not have lost any value here, it just means that the same car to buy in the U.S. is much cheaper.

What would you do to buy?

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »
The cheap cars that are brought in from the US are generally restored here and that is where the money goes. After restoration the cost has largely driven up the price. If you are lucky enough to find one that has been already restored for a fair price then you are in front.

Offline SanFrancisco

• Pony
  • Name: Rick Burke
  • Car: GT/CS
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:56:00 pm »
I was just talking with one of the Mustang re-sellers here in Melbourne who informed me that nothing over $40k is selling much right now, and even in the $30k range are taking longer to resell.  Any thoughts? Is the market becoming glutted with Mustangs (discounting the Shelby's, etc)?

Offline supr-66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:44 pm »
Interesting thread Pala, my mussy is going up in value at a great rate every day, although she aint for sale and wont be while I'm upright! I want my 3 kids to experience our amazing piece of history on our weekend drives and their weddings etc. (5, 3 & 1!) Our cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay & I hope if anyone is selling it is not through necessity.
Luke.

Offline supr-66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:04:34 pm »
or only through......:omg:

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »
I agree with you supr66, my car isnt for sale and I dont care
if it's only worth 20 bucks, I didnt buy it for resale values.
It was a snap decision made when I saw in the Sun what
Moffat got for christmas and thought "thats what I want" and what do you know it only took 41 years.
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
cars aren't probably selling because greedy sellers want to make 10k - 15k on their mustangs.
with the aussie dollar up near parity, savvy buyers are taking the punt and buying from the states instead of buying from a greedy local.

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:40 am »

zav007, You seem to have a bit of a "bee in the bonnet" about prices at the moment?

As far as coupes are concerned - i cannot see anybody making 10 - 15 k profit, especially after restoring one. Even your coupe that was for sale recently ( nice car ) could not have been terribly profitable.

Or are you talking of higher dollar fastbacks?

Going back a couple of years - a coupe in need of restoration was being sold in the USA around 8k, add 5k to get it in your driveway, then spend a minimum 10k repairing and painting it ( probably a LOT more ) and that 8k car is going to owe a minimum 25-30k by the time it is registered. Try to get 35-40k for that car - it aint gonna happen.

My information is there are a lot of crap cars being imported at the moment - importer beware.

Rocket.

Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline zav007

• Stallion
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 08:11:17 pm »
Spot on Rocket, lots of crap cars being imported and sellers wanting top dollar.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:21 am »
Looking at one of the US magazines I subscribe, it would appear that prices are down somewhat.

I see 2 Boss 429s sold recently at RM Auctions - a 69 and a 70 for US$165K and US$142.5K respectively.
That is a far cry from $600K I had seen a few years ago. Last $200K seemed the norm for a Boss9.

I know not all cars are equal and that low mileage cars and ones with provenance will sell for more, but I do get the impression that the market is a little slow over there. Maybe because they are going into winter.

I wonder how that guy in NZ went selling his Boss9.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline 428 Cobra Jet

• Stallion
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »
Guy's, I think you'll find the supply of decent cars is drying up, I know from what I have seen in the States over the past few years there are less and less of what I'll call servicable cars for sale. I've had a 70 B/B Fastback in the US for the last 17 years (in storage for 15 of those on and off) and I am now finally bringing it to Oz. I've been offered big money recently in the US, however it will be burried with me.

So I think those that are after a resonable car to start with will have trouble finding one and when they do will pay more for it. But for the short term Mustangs will have been devalued by the dollar, however the dollar will be brought back in line to other currencies over time, so don't fret.   Anyway, show me an enthusiest (and that's who we are talking about) who imported his car, complied and regoed the dam thing and went through the crap that we have to and only sees the value of what it might be worth. As they say "It's only worth what someone will pay for it" anyway.  
1970 428 Cobra Jet Mustang, 427 S/O block 428 crank & rods, 4 x 48 IDA Webers, 4 speed Top Loader, 3.89 Traction LOC, Currie 31 spline 9", Caltracks, 15"Prostars.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »
I agree.

My previous post was talking about cars at the well-known auctions and tend to be high-end restos or collector cars. They seem to be cheaper than a year ago and certainly cheaper than 2 , 3 or more years back.

cheers,
Frank.