Newbie - 6 Cyl Mustang Queries

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Newbie - 6 Cyl Mustang Queries  (Read 2630 times)

Offline bb65coupe

• P Plates
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here, and recently have decided to live out one of mydreams and buy a mustang.

I've got my eye on a 65 (64 1/2) early build one with the 6cyl engine and 3sp. manual transmission.

What are your thoughts on the 6 cyl stangs...are they considered an outcast or are they worth getting or should i hold out for a V8?

I must admit that not having a V8 is a problem for me personally, as i like the look and style of the mustang the most. The car wont be a daily driver, so i assume the 6 cyl will be fine for going for a few wekeend cruises etc...

I've done a bit of reading and determined that it should have the U coded engine of 170ci, are spares / parts still easily available for these engines here in oz?

Will the generator system be a problem further down the line regarding maintenance etc...or should i just get it all swapped to an alternator and is that an easy thing i can get done by an auto elec?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Bernie

Offline Envy 68

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:26 pm »
 :welcome: G'day Bernie,  Welcome aboard, can't comment really on what is best, it all depends on what you like and want......and how much money you have to spend  :smile01:

Some photos of your pride and joy would be good to see.

Regards

Mark
SALUTE!!  To those who have given their lives doing their job.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:27 pm »
Quote from: bb65coupe link=topic=12783.msg133843#msg133843
What are your thoughts on the 6 cyl stangs...are they considered an outcast or are they worth getting or should i hold out for a V8?

Most importantly .... what are your thoughts on the 6 cyl stangs?

I assume the car you're planning on buying is running ok mechanically?  It's not like you'll be buying engine internals regularly unless you plan to fang the thing out at every opportunity.

I didn't get your age or driving experience so if you're learning a 6 cylinder is a good start.  If you yearn for V8 grunt you'll constantly be thinking of dropping an 8 into it so you may want to wait for a V8 to become available to save on all the mods.

Personally I have a V8 for weekend cruises but that's me.  

s

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »
Well mine is a 6cyl but as soon as i get off my Ps (about 6 years left) i will put a V8 in it, but as mentioned its personal preference( and i just love the rumble of a V8)
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline 65coupe

• Stallion
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:28 pm »
Welcome.. Everyone love the sound from a 8 but a six is still good a good driver and cruise car too.. A v8 would not be hard to put in later if you had some change left over..

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »
When you are out cruising, who would know it's a 6 ?.

Most people think all Mustangs are V8's, but you'll be laughing with the fuel savings.

Engine and suspension parts are pretty much Falcon and readily available. Generator will be OK providing you don't do all short trips, but a Falcon 6 alternator can be fitted for more charging amps.

Take the car for a good drive before committing so you know you will be comfortable with it.

If later swapping in a V8, you will need to change the wheels, front axles, diff etc from 4 stud light duty to V8 5 stud running gear, to be legal for rego and insurance.