Crate engine help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Crate engine help  (Read 12909 times)

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
Crate engine help
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
ICE is pricey, but apparently well worth it..if youre going to pay 700+ for an MSD ignition (which has been known to have problems - occasionaly - quality control) you could go to ICE for an extra 3-400..locally made and better quality control

Offline Audrey

• Stallion
Crate engine help
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »
Quote from: boofhead link=topic=11958.msg127228#msg127228
I had a look and I am little confused by some of the information. Please do not see this as being negative just suggesting you do more investigation. Anyway;

First thing I look for in the spec is that details covering the major components and to make sure decent brand names are used.  This is a typical engine that does not have the brand names for;
1) Intake   (I would guess a procomp  edelbrock copy).
2) Roller rockers   (I would guess they are the Red Procomp brand).
3) Heads   (I would guess again they are Procomp heads as it has the distinctive casing plug - though I am not sure they do a 180 cc for the Windsor. I found 3 other manufacturers that have 180cc heads [Dart, World, Patriot] but they do nto have the Procomp casing plug). Also, what brand valves and springs are used.
4) Roller Lifters and Cam package.  Again brand is important here.

Over all they are quick to show the brand they use when it is a good brand, e.g. MSD Distributer, Elderbrock carbi, Melling opil pump etc. This to me a worry that the most important parts are inferior product brands. Remember it is going to be hard to return the engine if it does not turn out well for you.  I would ask for the specific brands of these components before I would purchase the engine. It is a big investment and it is best to know.

Last comment - You will need to purchase extra items such a MSD 6AL control box etc. It is documented by them which is a good point - just budget for it.

When I bought my engine (from proformance unlimited) I ordered my MSD iginition from them - and they put it in the container - $225USD.... much cheaper than over here.

Also, it is good to check to see what products are being used - and I did check this with them when I visited them last year - i took a mechanic friend with me (as I do not understand motors as well as some other things!) but in my case - I can't say that there were any "inferior" parts used and this was also confirmed with my friend.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Crate engine help
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:59 am »
When you buy MSD, you buy components, ie: ignition box, Distributor, Coil & Leads.

Ice is about $1300 for all that, and is generally better stuff. Always the winner at the engine masters. No pills, nothing else to buy, unless you're getting the Boost retard and stuff.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 09:29:42 am »
Audrey - good for you in checking the bits. Just to set the record straight  so what parts wheer used, e.g. Heads, Rockets, etc.

Offline Audrey

• Stallion
Crate engine help
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:59 pm »
Quote from: boofhead link=topic=11958.msg127334#msg127334
Audrey - good for you in checking the bits. Just to set the record straight  so what parts wheer used, e.g. Heads, Rockets, etc.

Intake - Eldebrock victor jnr.
Roller Rockers - TBA - I actually could not find the brand used in my documentation - but out of curiousity I am now going to ask them!
Heads - are Aluminium, Dart
Roller Lifter - is comp

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:48 am »
Hmmm.... Interesting.

I am very surprised by the Intake.
The Victor Jnr is a single plane manifold  - very nice piece and I like them a lot. All the pictures shown where of dual plane manifolds and even if there were not pictures or video I would have expected a dual plane.

The heads are also interesting. The Dart Alloy head Pro 1 comes in a 170cc and 195cc  not the 180cc as advertised which was a confusing factor I discussed previously. Maybe a alloy version of their Iron casting - they are a 185cc older designed casting. They also do not appear to have the casting plug.

Any way, your set up all sounds good to me.

Offline marc

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 07:23:46 am »
Quote from: boofhead link=topic=11958.msg127228#msg127228
I had a look and I am little confused by some of the information. Please do not see this as being negative just suggesting you do more investigation. Anyway;

First thing I look for in the spec is that details covering the major components and to make sure decent brand names are used.  This is a typical engine that does not have the brand names for;
1) Intake   (I would guess a procomp  edelbrock copy).:omg:
2) Roller rockers   (I would guess they are the Red Procomp brand).
3) Heads   (I would guess again they are Procomp heads as it has the distinctive casing plug - though I am not sure they do a 180 cc for the Windsor. I found 3 other manufacturers that have 180cc heads [Dart, World, Patriot] but they do nto have the Procomp casing plug). Also, what brand valves and springs are used.
4) Roller Lifters and Cam package.  Again brand is important here.

Over all they are quick to show the brand they use when it is a good brand, e.g. MSD Distributer, Elderbrock carbi, Melling opil pump etc. This to me a worry that the most important parts are inferior product brands. Remember it is going to be hard to return the engine if it does not turn out well for you.  I would ask for the specific brands of these components before I would purchase the engine. It is a big investment and it is best to know.

Last comment - You will need to purchase extra items such a MSD 6AL control box etc. It is documented by them which is a good point - just budget for it.

ok, here are the details for the components, what are your thoughts?

Intake Edelbrock Air Gap Intake
Roller rockers Comp Gold Series
Heads Strike Force SS Series
roller lifter and cam package. Comp Custom Ground

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:52 am »
Hi,

My thoughts  (Good news and bad):
  1) Edelbrock Air Gap Intake - Excellent intake I use one on one of my cars. There are copies though it is easy to identify the differences. Do not they are higher then most so you need to check the bonnet clearance with the filter installed (just in case).

2) Roller rockers Comp Gold Series - Excellent roller rockets. These are my personal favourite as they are an excellent product at a very good price. They are only ones I currently have. Again - easy to identify.

3)  Roller lifter and cam package. Comp Custom Ground - This is also good. I like and have used Comp cams many times. Currently I get custom billet cams ground in the US and get them sent out to me. Make sure you get the CAM's timing chart with the engine.

4) Heads Strike Force SS Series - Unfortunately (as best that I can tell/find) these are rebranded Procom heads.  Assuming they are getting them bare, checking the castings, and using good quality components, e.g. valves for example, then you will be fine.

Enjoy.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate engine help
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 09:37:23 am »
Quote from: boofhead link=topic=11958.msg127623#msg127623
 1) Edelbrock Air Gap Intake - Excellent intake I use one on one of my cars. There are copies though it is easy to identify the differences. Do not they are higher then most so you need to check the bonnet clearance with the filter installed (just in case).  

I agree particularly with the clearance of the air filter, we had to trim the bottom fitting of the filter down to allow it to clear the bonnet (but worth it!!) and then it sits right down flush on the MSD.

Cheers Bee

Offline marc

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments, I'm going ahead and ordering the engine, will let you know the process.

Offline Southern Sun

• Pony
Crate engine help
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »
Hi Marc,

How did it go? Would you recommend Proformance?

Scott