Concourse or Daily Driver?: Back to Mustangs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Concourse or Daily Driver?: Back to Mustangs  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Digger

• Stallion
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »
Re: eri67 suggestion

Meadlowlark Yellow 69 sportsroof, 428 R-code. I think it might have been a drag car low optioned, 4 wheel manual drums, 428 cobrajet go figure, had a 28 spline gearbox when I bought it, now got proper bullnose 31 spline close ratio gearbox, diff was open 3.5 in the specs, 3.5 detroit locker now. I really want both wheels to spin....

Trying to stay origional besides the diff. Oh and the block was a service item with the ribs but 428 in the water jacket. No smog gear, or s-tube, heat shield.

I've had to replace a fair bit of the sheet metal. Got the correct distibutor.

Faked the fuel pump, not an X-Carter but you might be able help me out here Jiffy.

Have got the gear to put XF discs on the front with remanufactured origional disc brake master cylinder and booster, new brake pedal etc....

So my question is, should I go for a concourse level restoration or use it as a daily driver? I want to drive it regularly but want everything to be correct. The problem is I don't have many of the real expensive bits. Don't mention the shaker, I think my aircleaner base may be incorrect. And I want to paint it a different colour.

I intend to keep it and drive it. So enough of a rant what do you think? (would be very glad of an experts opinion here). origional colour and try to go concourse or daily driver. What does this car really deserve?

Cheers

Mike
:drink:
Cheers

Mike

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:13:06 pm »

Do Know of a guru who used to frequent here, now, his name has slipped my mind, think it started with a K as a matter of fact I think his user name may of been OX BILT, think he got that from being as stubborn as a ol' Bull.

Offline mikes68

• Worked
    • www.mikes68.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

That was "AusBullitt" I think...
Cheers,
Mike

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:43 pm »
What was that T-code Kid????
Some of your posts are unable to be  deciphered in colour!:thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »
Its your car mate so do what ever you want with it. You can still achieve gold class with some mods (i think even a colour change wont take too many points off) but you just need to take into account how many points you will loose per mod to make sure you dont slip out of gold class (if thats your goal)

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »
Quote from: IGALOP link=topic=11584.msg122212#msg122212
What was that T-code Kid????
Some of your posts are unable to be  deciphered in colour!:thumb:

Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=11584.msg122161#msg122161
unless u have BIG STAX OF MONEY......daily driver factory color

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:35:31 am »
Its really down to whatever is going to float your boat. In my opinion to go concourse its all or nothing. If you arent keen on chasing all the correct bits then do whatever is going to make you happy, original colour or something different. If you do plan on chasing the parts then go original, you can add the correct parts over time as you find them. Meanwhile you can still drive the car.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:38 am »
JMHO, not worth much

there is concourse then there is original looking so the average Joe public thinks that's a NICE stang and to tell you the truth most mustangers don't know the difference also.
so as they say your car do what you think is cool. Maybe as Steve has said you can chase parts later so don't go making changes that can not be undone or unbolted easily.

just my two cents worth

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:59 am »
hi digger
build it the way you want to it's your car:hammer: mine was a 69 meadlodlark will not be when i am finished:rub: cheers tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline Digger

• Stallion
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »
Thanks Guys,

Some pretty helpful suggestions there. I think I'll do it how I want, as a nice daily driver but with no changes that can't be undone. Without the original block and a lot of the other "correct" bits it will be a bit expensive to go for concourse. Maybe if the finances allow down the track I may work towards that. It's great to hear your opinions. I really did buy it to enjoy driving it and didn't get into it to build a trailer queen. I'll just have to put up with the odd person pointing out the incorrect bits. Thanks again and please feel free to keep adding your opinions.

Cheers
Cheers

Mike

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
Hey councourse doesn't have to mean trailer queen! I'll be driving mine trust me :burnout:

If you have decided on a daily driver then I wouldn't recommend going for concourse unless you have the cash to keep replacing expensive parts/the balls to leave it out in public where your $400 nos quarter emblems can be slipped off without any tools by some twat.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:03 am »
Sounds like a wise decision to me. You will always get the odd person picking stuff on your car. Dont let it bother you, the only time that sort of critisism is justified is at a show in the concourse classes. Other than that it is usually some gimp with nothing better to do. Only thing that matters is you cracking a smile whenever you go out to the shed to fire it up.