Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone  (Read 3512 times)

Offline shane427

• Pony
« on: June 12, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »
Sitting here at work 12 hrs after picking up my first mustang, I am finding it difficult to work for some unknown reason.

Whether it is because I am thinking about how to embark on the jounrey of leaning and finishing off the clone, or thinking of all the new little things I want ot buy for it, all I know is want to get back home as quick as possible to play.

Overall very very happy with the car Matt (Shermatt) built and sold me. Even more happy with his service through his business and can highly reccomend using him to import.

Plan to update this thread with my progress, questions for the experts and general stuff about my new pride and joy. Unfortunately a month trip to the US next week will put a short delay in gettting one tough fatkid clone on the road!!

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:08 pm »
Here you go dude...she looks the goods :(

[img=680x490]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31986_404277938399_566233399_4201850_8027883_n.jpg[/img]

Offline shane427

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:15:10 pm »
Cheers mate

Sorting out photobucket now!! You make it look too easy.

Offline shane427

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:26:47 pm »
Safely parked away in the garage :a

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »
Thats a nice sight, walking out your house!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 04:22:14 pm »
Very nice car indeed.
Rick

Offline Red 66

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »

Congrats Shane, Car looks Great.

I went down to Melbourne on friday and picked up mine from Shermatt also,  Was very happy with it ;}

While Matt tried to be of some assistance :+  It was Sheri who put the whole deal together :f

What would that man do without her.

Forgot to take the camera with me to melbourne so i grabbed a disposable and when i get the shots transfered from film I will post them. (and start my own thread, Sorry Shane)

Barry

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »
Quote from: shane427 link=topic=10931.msg113943#msg113943
Sitting here at work 12 hrs after picking up my first mustang, I am finding it difficult to work for some unknown reason.

Whether it is because I am thinking about how to embark on the jounrey of leaning and finishing off the clone, or thinking of all the new little things I want ot buy for it, all I know is want to get back home as quick as possible to play.

Overall very very happy with the car Matt (Shermatt) built and sold me. Even more happy with his service through his business and can highly reccomend using him to import.

Plan to update this thread with my progress, questions for the experts and general stuff about my new pride and joy. Unfortunately a month trip to the US next week will put a short delay in gettting one tough fatkid clone on the road!!

Shane

very gald that you like my toy mate. I will definately be following the rest of the build.

The car definately looks tuffer sitting in an Ozzie driveway for some reason or maybe its that I dont have to stare at it on a daily basis in my driveway (for months) with out being able to touch it

Bit like the Shelby 427 in the driveway now doing nothing for 5 months...maybe thats the next unfinished project on the block...hope not!!

:+:+

Keep us posted

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:33 pm »
Quote from: Red 66 link=topic=10931.msg113988#msg113988

Congrats Shane, Car looks Great.

I went down to Melbourne on friday and picked up mine from Shermatt also,  Was very happy with it ;}

While Matt tried to be of some assistance :+  It was Sheri who put the whole deal together :f

What would that man do without her.

Forgot to take the camera with me to melbourne so i grabbed a disposable and when i get the shots transfered from film I will post them. (and start my own thread, Sorry Shane)

Barry

"I helped make the wigs"

...quote, "bill and teds exellent adventure"   :+

Sheri would like a photo of you along side your car with your grin please

Are you still sleeping in the shed or have you moved back in with your wife?

Definately one nice little stallion

Sheri wants to see your pics of your pick up day

Offline shane427

• Pony
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »
First task - steering rebuild

Some CRC, some serious hammering and all the steering parts were out. The steering is one of the only things not new on the car.

Will be getting new:
- inner/outer tie rods, joiners
- new boots for all joints and mounting rubbers for sway and strut bars etc

The drag ling and idler arm may just get a coat of paint.

My main concern is around the p/s cylinder and control valve. Are these items suitable to rebuild with gasket/seal kits or should I just buy new?

Should I be replacing the rest of the ball joints as-well or are these usually fine?

Not sure if there is anything wrong with the steering...just want to give it an overhaul.

Will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Appreciate any advice.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:13:57 pm »
hey shane control valve was easy enough when you dont lose a shim/washer.....lol.

i did mine twice:smile01:

just follow the instructions:banghead:

[IMG=500x400]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/justinf999/Instructions/ControlValve.jpg[/IMG]

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 01:54:21 pm »
Quote from: shane427 link=topic=10931.msg121305#msg121305
First task - steering rebuild

Some CRC, some serious hammering and all the steering parts were out. The steering is one of the only things not new on the car.

Will be getting new:
- inner/outer tie rods, joiners
- new boots for all joints and mounting rubbers for sway and strut bars etc

The drag ling and idler arm may just get a coat of paint.

My main concern is around the p/s cylinder and control valve. Are these items suitable to rebuild with gasket/seal kits or should I just buy new?

Should I be replacing the rest of the ball joints as-well or are these usually fine?

Not sure if there is anything wrong with the steering...just want to give it an overhaul.

Will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Appreciate any advice.

I would change all the ball joints while you have it apart, to do them all along with tie rod ends etc will only be a couple of hundred dollars. Also with the control arms completely dismantled you can give them a lick of paint.

Offline shane427

• Pony
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »
Thanks, will certainly do the ball joints at the same time.

Whats a few more items on a grwwing parts list :cry:

Luckily control arms, discs, springs ect all new so no painting required

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:46 pm »
Shane, do yourself a favour and go to manual steering. I had a flogged P/S valve so replace the drag link with a straight manual one and removed the P/S pump and hoses. You can change the L/H offset tie rodend if you want to but it is not nessesary. The P/S steering box with a manual setup gives you a much better feel and better turn ratio. The early Mustang P/S setup were not that much chop anyway.
Dave
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline shane427

• Pony
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice Dave.

So the M/S drag link has a ball joint on the end to attach to the pitman arm (in the same location where the ball valve on the control valve is located)?

I was getting new tie-rods anyway so can just get the M/S version if going this way.

Has anyone else had good experience with this setup? Seems nice and simple in theory.