remote power steer pump?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: remote power steer pump?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »
This interesting setup came to my attention while perusing the yellowbucket.com forums.  Its a remote electric power steering pump and reservoir.

[align=center]
[img=700x466]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/xalentt/DSC_1468.jpg[/img]
[/align]

This particular pump/reservoir came out of a vectra, and now resides in a XA coupe setup for street/strip duties.

looks like a nice way to clean up the engine bay.

Could this setup work with Mustang power steering?

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:17 pm »
Noone has any idea, or experience?

mmm

Offline Dyn4mic

• Worked
    • http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com/
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:41:09 pm »
in short it would work... what is involved I have no idea, except you would be running longer high/low pressure lines and whether there is a drop in oil pressure that would affect steering has got me stumped
Name: Pete
67' Coupe

Offline donoauto

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:25:28 pm »
Haven't had anything to do with them but I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 05:39:27 pm »
It does look real interesting.  I'll be looking into it more when I get home.  Still wondering if I should ditch power steering and go Flaming river, or keep it and look at a setup like this.

Offline 4Lowie

• Thoroughbred
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:11:27 am »
Hi guy's
Any idea on what model Vectra I'd be looking for? I like this idea and might give it a try.

Cheers

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »
I'll ask the guy who I got the info from.  

If I remember right, originally he said it wasn't critical the model, he just got one that fit.

Cheers

edit:  A quick google had me finding this http://powersteeringracks.co.uk/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=127_204_299&products_id=333&zenid=af2157d7907e46f65fc9fcc88185f0ff

might give you a clue.  Its a TRW piece.  I'll keep looking for aussie equivalent

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
TS Astra's ran them, they are megabucks to buy new from GM, not sure on aftermarket availability. We don't get many problems with them, but the TRW version 2 and the Delphi units were better than the version 1.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »
Dynamic, regarding the hose lengths, a Falcon is RHD, with the pump on the left of the engine. That would make the hoses pretty long, and there is no problems running a P/S cooler around the front of the radiator, so I don't think it's an issue.
I'd be more worried about the pump supplying the correct pressure for the given rack/box.

Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:20:45 am »
Thanks Blkpny.  Will be interesting to see one of these set up in a Stang.  Concept is good.

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
remote power steer pump?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »
You can have the relief valve altered to change the pressure if required.  I've done a couple of mix and match power steering setups, and so far I haven't had to have any altered.
They have all been pumps that came out of rack and pinion cars and fitted to worm and recirc ball boxes.

The latest one, V6 commodore into toyota hilux, the steering is slightly heavier than my apprentices standard diesel hilux.  My 94 mustang pump into MQ patrol feels about the same wieght as original.

I actually like the idea of the electric pump, no screwing about pulleys and brackets, and if your engine stops you would still have power steering to aid you in rolling off the road.

I've been looking at electric brake boosters also, Range Rovers use these, so could be interesting for my XL ute where this no space for a booster.

Cheers
Jas