Clearing up confusions.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Clearing up confusions.  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Ballman

• Pony
Clearing up confusions.
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:13:36 pm »
Hello,

While I am very interested in purchasing a Mustang for myself to restore, a number of people are telling me many different stories about what I need to do.

For example, one, older person has told me that I need to be sure that everything on the car needs to be to "Australian code", E.g. the seatbelts, meanwhile a friend of mine, who works on Volkswagons all the time has told be because of the cars age, it is considerd a 'classic', hence can be restored to original codition without any need to use any "code" parts.
Scouring the internet has left me with even more questions and less hair, as I have not been able to find a straight forward answer.

Also, I'm having trouble finding one suitable for me.
 I have looked on numerous websites, including the Trading post and Ebay.com.au, as well as newspapers and a number of large car dealers.

I have yet to look into the smaller car dealerships.

A number that I have managed to find in my price range had somewhat vauge details, some even not posting if the transmittions's a Automatic or Manual! While others don't give odometer readings, or tell what the full condition of the cars is, I.E if it is even rolling. I am not the richest bloke in the world either, and some of the ads which are very clear about what they are selling are the more expensive vehicles (to me)

Sorry if this is not in the correct board.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

~J.B

(I'm in Adelaide :) )

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Clearing up confusions.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:27:28 pm »
Ballman,
I'm not sure how the rules differ from state to state but I can comment on my own experience in Victoria. Hopefully it's the same in S.A.
I purchased my 65 coupe from California so it's LHD, it has the original red tail lights & no seatbelts whatsoever. I had no issues at all getting a RWC or VIC reg.
I do believe that the rules differ sliightly for later model cars. A mate of mine has a 72 Cady and was asked to replace his belts with Australian Standard seatbelts & fit new rubber brake hoses. Maybe the "old man" was referring to a 70's vehicle?

Good luck with your future purchase.

Evan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Clearing up confusions.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:10:29 pm »
Have a look at the Just Mustangs .com.au web site they always have quite a few for sale.

Offline Ballman

• Pony
Clearing up confusions.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:05:07 pm »
Thanks guys, I've found one on Justmustangs within my price range and am now looking to secure the funds. As for the 'confusions' I'll have the car checked by the RAA (S.A's NRMA equivelent) and see what they say.

Thanks again

~J.B