MIG welding.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: MIG welding.  (Read 8900 times)

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
MIG welding.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 09:20:12 am »
My TIG shuts off the gas via a solenoid, but I thought most MIG's did it at the trigger. Maybe I should put a solenoid in it then.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
MIG welding.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:58 am »
Had a go at welding on both saturday and sunday. The drive roller on the wire feeder was too big for 0.6mm so I had to use the 0.9mm wire. I practiced on some old front fenders (not mustang ones haha) and it took a fair while to get the hang of it. I think that wire size didn't help... I didn't try welding on the mustang and I won't until I can use the smaller wire... Don't want to go blowing holes in it.

Decided I'd try out the MIG on some thicker steel and it was muuuuccchhh easier to use. I ended up making a seat out of an old car back seat (from a honda legend)

The frame:

and with the cushions on it:

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
MIG welding.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:50 am »
That seat is Cool Luke.

I got my welder of a retired bloke who wasnt using it any more. Paid $400 3 years ago. Came with 5 rolls of wire including stainless and a small roll of alloy. New tips and wire sheath.
I had the same deal not having the 6mm roller so i carfully ground down a spare .9 roller and have used it the whole time doing my fastback.