Speed Cameras

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Speed Cameras  (Read 23193 times)

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Speed Cameras
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »
Yep, fair point.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Speed Cameras
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111061#msg111061
There is an argument that speed doesnt necessarily cause accidents, look at the autobahn for example.

There is this misconception that the Autobahn is some sort of driving Nirvana.  There definitely are accidents on the Autobahn and the ones that happen at a higher speed are quite horrific as you can imagine.

s

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Speed Cameras
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »
Yes there is accidents on the autobahn and yes they are far worse due to the speeds involved. But the stats show that the autobahn has a lower accident rate than most other superhighway systems (including the states) which shows that increased speed is not necessarily directly proportional to increase accident rates.

Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10735.msg111063#msg111063
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111061#msg111061
There is an argument that speed doesnt necessarily cause accidents, look at the autobahn for example.

There is this misconception that the Autobahn is some sort of driving Nirvana.  There definitely are accidents on the Autobahn and the ones that happen at a higher speed are quite horrific as you can imagine.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Speed Cameras
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 12:59:23 pm »
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111066#msg111066
the stats show that the autobahn has a lower accident rate than most other superhighway systems (including the states) which shows that increased speed is not necessarily directly proportional to increase accident rates.  

Yes you're right. There are many factors, the Germans probably are more patient in general but moreso the actual road is better.

The problem isn't speed but the number of high speed accidents we have here and that is what the cameras are meant to reduce.

If you look at the accident statistics in our tunnels it is probably minimal and I argue about having the cameras in those spots.

The blackspots are tight corners on bad roads, etc. not in dual carriageway tunnels which are usually very straight, don't have power poles to plough into and pristine road surfaces and conditions.

s

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Speed Cameras
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »
Yep, completely agree. As for the tunnels I believe the cameras are there as a deterrent. There is the potential for some catastrophic accidents in tunnels so the cameras would be there to prevent the tunnels becoming a black spot as opposed to reacting after a massive accident happens.

There is research that shows that high speed accident numbers decreased every year after the implementation of speed cameras in the UK (it was on a top gear episode).

Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=10735.msg111067#msg111067
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111066#msg111066
the stats show that the autobahn has a lower accident rate than most other superhighway systems (including the states) which shows that increased speed is not necessarily directly proportional to increase accident rates.  

Yes you're right. There are many factors, the Germans probably are more patient in general but moreso the actual road is better.

The problem isn't speed but the number of high speed accidents we have here and that is what the cameras are meant to reduce.

If you look at the accident statistics in our tunnels it is probably minimal and I argue about having the cameras in those spots.

The blackspots are tight corners on bad roads, etc. not in single carriageway tunnels which are usually very straight, don't have power poles to plough into and pristine road surfaces and conditions.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Speed Cameras
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111070#msg111070
As for the tunnels I believe the cameras are there as a deterrent. There is the potential for some catastrophic accidents in tunnels

One camera = deterrent.

Four cameras = cash cow.

They could shift the camera location every now & then but four cameras, how long is this tunnel?

s

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Speed Cameras
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 01:48:03 pm »
Good question, how long is it? (im in wa)
Is it long enough to reach dangerous speeds if there wasnt all 4 cameras?

Offline rattusrex

• Worked
Speed Cameras
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111001#msg111001
Quote from: Pedro link=topic=10735.msg110859#msg110859
The Queensland

Hello!! If 22.1% is the major cause, how do we describe the other 77.9%?

Drugs, alcohol, distracted drivers, poor weather condition...choose your poison

I personally dont have a problem with speed cameras...like the saying goes...do the crime, do the time
It's precisely this laissez faire attitude which lets them get away with their bulls..t. We are supposedly a first world country with a third class road network. They collect bucket loads of money off motorists in road tax, registration fees, petrol taxes,etc. and where does it endup? Consolidated revenue. They still haven't made the Hume or Pacific Highway four lanes in each direction even though they've talked about it for decades.
Click Image For Larger View

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Speed Cameras
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:30 pm »
The economy works as a whole. Revenue made from road taxes etc doesn't necessarily get spent on road related expenses. Obviously they dont think the benefit of changing the hume to 4 lanes outweighs the benefits they are getting from spending it else where.

It is the people that complain about cameras being revenue raisers that have the laissez faire attitude. They are missing the point of the cameras. It is simple, if there was no speeders there would be no speed cameras.

Quote from: rattusrex link=topic=10735.msg111079#msg111079
It's precisely this laissez faire attitude which lets them get away with their bulls..t. We are supposedly a first world country with a third class road network. They collect bucket loads of money off motorists in road tax, registration fees, petrol taxes,etc. and where does it endup? Consolidated revenue. They still haven't made the Hume or Pacific Highway four lanes in each direction even though they've talked about it for decades.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Speed Cameras
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 02:33:17 pm »
Quote from: 111085&tid=10735&author=Foresight
The economy works as a whole. Revenue made from road taxes etc doesn't necessarily get spent on road related expenses. Obviously they dont think the benefit of changing the hume to 4 lanes outweighs the benefits they are getting from spending it else where.

It is the people complain about cameras being revenue raisers that have the laissez faire attitude. They are missing the point of the cameras. It is simple, if there was no speeders there would be no speed cameras.

i agree, no speeders, no speed camera's. but take them away and BOOM! Tolls, EVERYWHERE!

So glad i am in WA. in sydney it used to cost $11 a day to get to work in tolls, then add wasted fuel stopped in traffic...  it might be a little more expensive to live in WA (in places up north, ALOT more expensive!) but its alot cheaper to drive!

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
Speed Cameras
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:16 pm »
^^^
Talk about BOOM.
British motorists are so incensed with the blatant revenue raising that they are taking matters into their own hands. They call cameras, Gatsos.
Check out their site ... http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso.htm

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Speed Cameras
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
Remember a speed camera infringement notice is only an invitation to pay, and unenforceable until it goes through a court.

Aussiespeedingfines seems to have established that the infringement photo cannot be produced as evidence in court, because speed cameras are not certified by Weights and Measures as an accurate measuring device, as required by Federal law. So if you go to court and the prosecutor can't use the photo, there's no other evidence and the case is usually pulled or dismissed.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
Speed Cameras
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 04:30:52 pm »
just say you were driving your RED mustang that day and it looks faster than all the other cars

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Speed Cameras
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »
Gatsos are the brand of the cameras in Britain - thats why they call them Gatsos.

Like the yanks call vacuum cleaners hoovers.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Speed Cameras
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:03 pm »
Ragtop be wary of what you read, the Police will call in experts from the US to counter issues with the cameras accuracy and if you get convicted you will foot the costs.  Photographs are used in court in Queensland.  Its cheaper not to speed.  Its not an invitation when you get a ticket it is a fine with demerit points attached, if you take it to court that is your right to plead not guilty and good luck
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
Speed Cameras
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
Oh praise the Lord !

They actually REMOVED a speed camera on my daily commute ! Intersection St Kilda rd and union St. ( Melb)

Prob due to the narrowing of the median strip due to adding a tram stop.

I'm sure they will put it back , but for now , it is one less to  worry about.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Shayne93

• Stallion
Speed Cameras
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
Quote from: usa289 link=topic=10735.msg110897#msg110897
Quote from: Pedro link=topic=10735.msg110859#msg110859
The Queensland Economic Development Committee’s
“Inquiry into the road safety benefits of fixed speed cameras.”
March 2010

Quotes:
“In late 2009, it was revealed that the new Clem 7 tunnel in Brisbane would be fitted with eight fixed speed cameras in four locations”………….”

Gees mate, I wouldn't complain ... come to Victoria where we breed the cameras - fixed and mobile, plus red light cameras, plus every country cop car has mobile radar ..... they are choking us with cameras ...  but the Government love it as its second biggest revenue raiser behind the pokies!!!

Buddy, you guys pay jack all for rego, a 6 cylinder up here for 12 months is around $850
Not what I would call cheap. Thats why all the povos that move up here with their VNs and EBs running away from things keep their rego down there... Costs next to nothing.

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
Speed Cameras
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:32 pm »
:- Same ol' argument.
"I'm a good driver, it's just Government revenue raising" :[
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.

Offline rattusrex

• Worked
Speed Cameras
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »
Quote from: Foresight link=topic=10735.msg111085#msg111085

It is the people that complain about cameras being revenue raisers that have the laissez faire attitude. They are missing the point of the cameras. It is simple, if there was no speeders there would be no speed cameras.

Quote from: rattusrex link=topic=10735.msg111079#msg111079
Tell that to the relatives of all the dead people killed on their sub-standard roads.
Click Image For Larger View

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Speed Cameras
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 09:16:21 pm »
Aint that the truth, this is first world country, but you wouldn't know it when you drive on some of our "highways".

Cheers bee
Cheers Bee

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Speed Cameras
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »

Fair dinkum someone has gotta get rid of Captain Anna Bligh - and put the other idiots in.....how “Dum” can she be.

If she had any brains at all, on raising revenue, all she has to do is remove or increase the current point system on your Qld license. Then you could run up as many speeding fines as your wallet and bank account can hold up too!!

OK ...BEFORE YOU ALL SLAM ME for suggesting such a thing ...I'm just taking the “pepsi”......on the topic   :p:p:a

Seriously though, everyone knows speed cameras in most cases especially in Qld are only there to raise revenue ... the funny thing is (or not so funny, depending on how you look at it if you’re an habitual speed freak) the Qld police are now making up their own rules.  

Apparently based on radio reports on 4BC the other day they have been caught out setting up illegal secondary mobile speed camera 1-200 meter down the road further from a fixed camera just to nab you twice for the same offence ....funny as!!  Unless you’ve been nabbed!!

Their theory apparently is everyone slows down for the fixed camera ......WELL HELLO ....IS'NT THAT WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN??????????????????

:+:+:+:+:+

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
Speed Cameras
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:59 pm »
Quote from: Frank70 link=topic=10735.msg111151#msg111151
Oh praise the Lord !

They actually REMOVED a speed camera on my daily commute ! Intersection St Kilda rd and union St. ( Melb)

Prob due to the narrowing of the median strip due to adding a tram stop.

I'm sure they will put it back , but for now , it is one less to  worry about.

Cheers,
Frank.

Hey I wonder ....has a tram ever been captured on a speed camera???

now that would be funny.

:w:w:w:w:w:w:w

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
Speed Cameras
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=10735.msg111291#msg111291
if the Gomer-ment wanted to really reduce speeding they wouldve ADR mandated 110 kmph speed limited brand new factory cars 10 years ago ,,

Fair dinkum T-Code that's just too logical....what are you thinking!!

:(:(:(;2

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
Speed Cameras
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 11:58:56 pm »
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=10735.msg111291#msg111291
if the Gomer-ment wanted to really reduce speeding they wouldve ADR mandated 110 kmph speed limited brand new factory cars 10 years ago ,,

Doing that would be one of the most ridiculous ideas ever!

Before you can me let me elobrate.

I drive a 48 seat coach as part of my job. I get everyone to work safely instead of having 48 cars driving 155km's round trip.

As you might know large vehicles are "limited" to 100km/h..fine....BUT....the bright orange Government owned SCHOOL BUS can do much more! It has overtaken me (whilst driving the work bus at 100kays) and simply driven away. I rekon it was at least doing 115-120 and its got KIDS ON IT!

The absolute worse bit with the bus is that it is limited (also geared to) to exactly 100. At 100.5 the limiter kicks in. You can forget trying to overtake anything doing 95.

We have 3 & 4 trailer road trains to overtake they do 60-70 up some of the hills and then they quickly get to 90+ on the other side which makes overtaking almost impossible. Now add impatient people in cars who then take INSANE risks trying to overtake me in the bus and the 4 trailer road train.

Sheer madness is limiting vehicles to the actual "speed limit".

It does not matter how you try to "limit" vehicles, people will always find a way around it.

The issue should be about better Driver Training and better roads.

Ask anyone who drove to Adelaide how good the roads aren't once you leave Perth. The further out of Perth you get the WORSE they get.

If the governments were serious about "saving" lives they would fix the roads and train new drivers better.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Speed Cameras
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2010, 02:07:37 am »
Scary thing is though - most speedo's are not accurate, and one person's 100kph is someone elses 110kph and someone elses' 55mph.  
Not everyone uses GPS to calculate their speed.