Assistance needed buying from the States

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Assistance needed buying from the States  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:06:54 pm »
Hi Guys

Was after some guidance or assistance in buying a 65-66 fastback from the States.  I have located a couple that i am very interested in but need to have them checked out so i don't end up with a dud.

One is located in Trussville, Alabama & the other is in Des Moine, Iowa.

Anyone know of someone who can give a good honest appraisal at a decent price.  The cars both look beautiful with shiny paint, but i just want to make sure their is no rust and the floor & frame rails are good.  Also need to know that they actually run and aren't going to provide many nasty surprises.

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Offline Tom65Fastback

• P Plates
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:45:56 am »
Hi Gary,

I bought a 65 fastback in California last year. I had a few inspections on some other ones before finding the right one. Try googling: auto inspections trussville alabama etc and it will give you some local auto repairers. I found that was the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to do it. I don't think Carchex (nationwide inspection company) offer auto inspections on older cars anymore and in any case they usually take longer get the results to you and cost quite a bit.

With regards to shipping, my car eventually arrived but a lot later than promised and with a few extra costs on top. They were terrible with communication; i had to constantly harass them for information... (TE Logistics).

Good Luck!

Thomas

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 02:56:06 pm »
Thanks Tom

No longer a problem as i picked up a 65 fastback in Sydney the other day.  Let the project begin!!!!!

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:37:24 pm »
Gary

Was that the A code for $22K

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:55:45 pm »
No.  It was from the same seller but mine was not advertised.  The difference was that the bodywork had been done on mine and it had been resprayed about 12 months ago in the U.S.  It was not a high quality job so it will be striped again and done properly